Protege eats oils- how was your break-in procedure?

:
Mazda, Protege5 2002
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/heres-why-your-bmw-m5-uses-a-lot-of-oil-87694.html

^ here is a story about BMW M5 eating oil- just like us, some have issues and some do not.

somehow is concluded that is due to the break-in procedure.

to those that got your protege new, this you follow the break-in procedure in the manual of your mazda?

for those that got the car used i know there is now way to know. so this is for those that own the car since new. does you car eat oil too?

57bdbfb245471aa68ac949f13d1470de.jpg

It might also be the type of oil that is causing the consumption issue. A lot of EJ motors from the Imprezas have been destroyed with the common denominator of running Mobil 1. Other, cheaper oils, have been shown to be no problem through experience and UOAs. It might just be that the FS series of engines doesn't respond well to a particular brand/viscosity as they are aging. Have you swapped to a different brand of oil and tried that to reduce the consumption of oil?

the oil consumption that i have is fine, I am just trying to see if there is correlation between engine break-in and oil consumption for the FS engine.

I use 10-40 and i have to fill every 1000-1500 miles about 1/2 qt. I have 240k on the engine- so to me is acceptable with that kind of mileage. but i know some people here have it a lot sooner.

I just rebuilt my engine top and lower end 8,000 miles ago. I would also suggest changing the oil the first 500 miles and the next 1000 miles..

Back