Leak From Top Hatch Seal

mjwaterma

Driving home from work in the rain yesterday I noticed a small puddle on the rear hatch cover. I then noticed that water was dripping from the plastic fasteners that hold the headliner up in the hatch area. When I got home and opened up the hatch, it appeared that the rubber boot/seal for the rear wiper fluid is no longer sealing properly with the body. Anyone else have this issue and what did you do to fix it? My first thought is to use some silicone sealant, but I'm not convinced that it will hold up over time. Any other thoughts?

Here is the part I am referring to. The seal seems to sit well on the right (passenger) side, but not on the left side. The seal on the hatch side looks like it is the way it should be.
14914196264_508771c66b.jpg

Last edited:
Since I've owned the car (past 6 years and 100k of 120k total miles) the hatch has never been removed or the spoiler removed. The only body work that I've had done was to fix some rusting on both rear wheel wells. I think I've seen a few drops of water on the hatch cover before but wrote it off as me getting it in there when opening doors.

I'm not sure what the spoiler would have to do with my issue. I think there is a misunderstanding of what seal I am referring to, so I circled what I believe is the offending seal in the picture in the OP. The seal seals to the body/roof in the hatch area. The hatch door itself it fine as far as I am aware of.

probably just an age related thing, these cars are over a decade old rubber ages and perishes and needs replacement it has probably dried up and cracked enough to let in water

When I got home last night I pulled the headliner back a bit to see the other side of the rubber gasket. There is a plastic clip that holds the seal in place and it appears to have broken. The good news is that there was still part of the clip in place and I was able to move it into a position so that it holds the seal in place. The bad news is that after browsing through the service manual and parts catalog I don't see the particular clip. Its raining for a third day today so I'll be able to see if my fix hold up for now.

There is a plastic clip that holds the seal in place and it appears to have broken. The good news is that there was still part of the clip in place and I was able to move it into a position so that it holds the seal in place. The bad news is that after browsing through the service manual and parts catalog I don't see the particular clip.

junk yard time! have fun, i always do at the mazda/nissan heaven near me!

Back