How to - PADDLE SHIFT Retrofit (Mazda CX-5 2.0)

I have checked online for parts and they are available for the 2015 Mazda 6, but I don't think they will have, the wire harnesses. I guess, I could make my own harnesses. The paddle shifter connector, is not really needed, or it can be replaced with something else. Everything else, is just pins that has to be pushed in, into the factory connectors.

Wish there was a kit like the link that was readily available. No, I'm not paying a stealership part by part.

Last edited:
The paddles have a wire harness ending in a connector, but there should be another harness from the connector, to a three pin at the other end. Then there is another harness, that has three pins at one end and two at the other end and a hoop for ground. These two harnesses come with the ones from the dealership?

The other harnesses are what we need part numbers for now. It looks like the paddles them self come with the harness that plugs into the right and left but the Japanese site shows two other harnesses.

These are the two harnesses that I'm talking about. Where do we get these parts? Are they Mazda OEM that come with the paddles or are they fabricated for the kit?
attachment.php

Here in Norway i just bought from my local Mazda dealer:

GJY1-76-3P0 Paddles(including its own harness)
BHN9-32-049C02 Cover
BHN9-32-750 Screws for paddles
GJS2-66-4M2 Harness (this is Mazda's genuine harness instead of the UPPER one shown in Ride92's post above).

9YA011003A bolt(holds steering Wheel, shop manual recommends to replace it).

K015-V7-481 this is Mazda's genuine harness instead(or the same) of the LOWER one shown in Ride92 post above).
This item was not possible to order here in Norway( number not known in system).
I ordered the lower wiring set K015-V7-481 from japanparts.com. It is not listed on Their site, but they have an option to request for parts not listed.
The prize i got is 3200 yen, (around € 25/approx the same in USD) +1000 yen in postage.

I have not done the mod yet.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I don't own a CX-5 but I have used the info from this forum and other CX-5 sources (Russian and Chinese) to retrofit paddle shifters on my 2014 Mazda 6 AT Touring. I don't know for sure that this will work on your CX-5's, I suspect that it is the same.

Total cost around $200 for parts/shipping. I needed:

GJS2-66-3P0B - Paddle shift switches w/wire harness and screws. $80.00
GJS2-32-049 - Rear cover for steering wheel. $78.25
GJS2-66-4M2 - Wiring to adapt to non-paddle equipped cars. $21.72

A comprehensive shop manual is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED anytime you work on your car. Mine is available all over eBay on CD or download for under $15.

I bought the parts from OEMMazdaParts.com but a google search of the individual part numbers will yield the best prices. And prices do vary from supplier to supplier.

On most of the parts websites it will offer two different back covers. One is around $7 and one is waaay more. The cheap one is the one I already had and it will not work with the paddles. The other one will say it's for leather, whatever that means. There is no leather but that's the one I needed.

You'll have to disconnect the battery, remove the airbag and steering wheel, replace the back wheel cover, add the paddles, and replace the wheel wiring harness with GJS2-66-4M2. This took me less than 2 hours and it was all plug-n-play. No adding pins to connectors or even a lug to ground, and no removal of the steering column shrouds.

Hope this helps anyone contemplating doing this mod.

Last edited:
I finally did this mod today to my Norwegian year 2012 2.0L awd petrol.

It works Perfect!

Ref to my post # 47 for part numbers.

Used an allen key 5mm to release the airbag,
Had to drill and tap one hole 5mm on each side of the steering Wheel for attachment of paddles, (one each side where done from the factory). Used Time Sert steel inserts to reinforce my two threads.

I found a ground point 20-30cm below and fwd of start/stop unit.(fwd of drivers r.h knee).

As i can read from other forum posts it might be possible newer cars has all four holes in steering Wheel drilled and threaded from the factory, it might also be the case With the missing wiring between ground, lower clock spring Connector and start/stop unit.

Last edited:
K015-V7-481 harness is needed, or not? Kind of confusing.

The K015-V7-481 harness (a/k/a the "lower harness" or the "clockspring harness") is 100% needed to install paddle shifters in a CX-5. Without it, the paddle shifters aren't connected to the transmission controller, and the paddles will not operate.

If there is confusion in this thread, its due to two things:

(1) Some people are posting about Mazda 6's, Mazda 3's and other Skyactive models that come equipped with factory installed paddle shifters. These cars don't need the clockspring harness because the wiring is already installed at the factory.

(2) The early pioneers of this mod in a CX-5 were using a non-OEM clockspring harness. It had no part number, but was simply included in a Chinese (?) manufactured kit. Later, Mazda officially released an OEM paddle-shifter add-on kit (although not sold in the US,yet), and in doing so, created part # K015-V7-481. You always needed a clockspring harness for the CX-5, but now it has an OEM part number.

Last edited:
I have tried installing the shifters and I got in fitting issues, with the rear cover.
Part # GJS2-32-049, does not fit to my 2014 Touring steering wheel.
The wiring, is all done and I have tried it, it's shifting to #1 and #2 and back to #1.
Now the question is, which rear cover do I need?

Is that kit up on eBay for the 2016? And will it work with the I-activesense package with radar cruise control?

Back