Protege shifter linkage/bushing issue

stivine6

:
2001 Mazda Protege ES
Hey guys

Need some quick advice regarding my shifter.

Right now when I shift into any gears it's really spongy and way to much movement in the shifter.

I got a quick video to show
http://youtu.be/kHYs0RqZy6A

In the beginning of the video when I said "third lightly" that's my gf shifting into third gear where it's suppose to sit. When i told her to shift harder that the shifter moving/flexing more than it's suppose too. At that point my shifter is moving up so much that it pops my cupholders off.

Does anyone know that the rubber piece on the right the picture is called? It seems like it's worn out and just flexing way to much causing my shifter to feel spongy/sloppy

2F444205-ADDE-45BF-8C5A-9C3A0BB0D5CC_zpsqvntyvmn.jpg

I have the PDF diagram as well but it doesn't show that specific piece. Need to get this fixed asap lol. Have to granny shift right now

I went and looked at my car,...

Make sure the bolt on the other side of the rubber is there,....

You could try a couple of big washers (fender washers) between the rubber and the bolt to help tighten it up,...

I went and looked at my car,...

Make sure the bolt on the other side of the rubber is there,....

You could try a couple of big washers (fender washers) between the rubber and the bolt to help tighten it up,...

Thanks for the tip there! I went under again and checked. Bolt was still there but totally snapped when I tried to tighten it.

But I figured out what happened. I don't know how it happened or even how I close I was to being stranded. Turns out one of my TWM shifter bushings fell off while I was driving, the nut holding it somehow came loose (poor installation from mechanic). There was one bushing left, if that fell off i wouldn't have been able to get the car into gear. I just ghetto fixed it for now (replaced nut but only one bushing holding the linkage) until I can get another one. Very close call

Back