Need Off-Road/Soft-Road Help! Adjustable suspension? Softer shocks? Trade in? WAT DO?

j0nny5

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Sport/6MT
Thanks very much in advance for any suggestions anyone might have! This is a bit long, so, Much, Much appreciated!

Here's the situation:
2014 CX-5 Sport (6sp/FWD). Have had it for about a year. Love it! (Would love it more if I could have the 2.5L with the 6sp, but whatever.)

I never did a lot of off-roading, but liked having the ground clearance the CX-5 offers for the occasional camping or beach trip. I didn't spring for the AWD because I don't like A/T, have never owned more than 1 auto trans, which I didn't keep longer than a year.

So, a family member offered to sell me a piece of raw mountain/forest property for very cheap, and seeing a good opportunity, I went for it. Been driving up to it about once a week to clear trees and plan for eventually building a cabin. Thing is, the roads up there are about 10 miles of rough gravel/crushed rock, then about 5 miles of soft, rutted dirt road (see picture below). The CX-5 gets up there like a champ, with only the occasional stutter from the TCS when I hit a really soft patch.

Problems:
1. The suspension on the CX-5 Sport is more tuned for cornering and smooth roads, so the ride is pretty rough/loud. I don't go faster than 25MPH, but I hear a loud "CLUNK" in the driver-side dash/front driver shock-tower area every time there's a sharp rise or a sharp drop for that wheel. It's... concerning.

2. With no AWD, it can get a little dicey sometimes, especially when one of the front wheels loses traction... the TCS hits in rapid "bursts", where the TCS light flashes as it removes/adds power to that wheel. It's loud, and also somewhat... concerning.

3. This is in dry weather... what happens when it rains or snows?

SO, what are my options? Am I going to eventually screw up my suspension/frame/etc.? I haven't noticed a change in on-road driving, still as smooth as before. Is there a way to swap the shocks/springs to something a little softer that wouldn't transmit so much impact to the frame/suspension arms? Maybe adjustable shocks? Different tires?

Those of you with AWD CX-5s: is the AWD full-time and up to the task in your experience? Is the suspension different in the AWD models? I'd be willing to trade in for an AWD model as a last resort and just deal with the auto trans, I guess (boom02), but I don't wannnnaaaa if I don't have to (rei).

Would I be better off trading in for like a Subaru Forester (sacrilege I know! (attn))? The 2.5i model has a 6sp trans WITH the AWD option. I really would love to stay in the Mazda fam tho, I really do love the CX-5 so far! I would love any suggestions, advice, anything.

Thank you :)

vt3Ny3M.jpg

If you're going to trade (and if I were you I think I would), I'd go for the Subie. Nothing sacrilegious about it; it's a more sophisticated AWD system than Mazda uses and the ride (at least on that stretch of road) would probably be more civilized. Go take one for a test drive! BTW: the AWD CX-5 suspension is no different than the FWD.

If you're going to trade (and if I were you I think I would), I'd go for the Subie. Nothing sacrilegious about it; it's a more sophisticated AWD system than Mazda uses and the ride (at least on that stretch of road) would probably be more civilized. Go take one for a test drive! BTW: the AWD CX-5 suspension is no different than the FWD.

Thanks for the input! After reading through this thread, I'm a little gun-shy about the Subie idea now. Not to say that a single thread will make a decision for me; I'll probably still test drive, but the on-road handling characteristics of the Forester being universally described as 'soft' and 'heavy', plus the potential oil consumption problems (which I know may not affect the newest model) make me a bit leery.

I'm starting to think that softer tires will also make a huge difference. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks for the input! After reading through this thread, I'm a little gun-shy about the Subie idea now. Not to say that a single thread will make a decision for me; I'll probably still test drive, but the on-road handling characteristics of the Forester being universally described as 'soft' and 'heavy', plus the potential oil consumption problems (which I know may not affect the newest model) make me a bit leery.
I'm starting to think that softer tires will also make a huge difference. Can anyone confirm?
I wouldn't count on it. I think a lot of people who replace their tires for this reason are ultimately disappointed with the outcome. One thing you can try is dropping the pressures to 30#. That's what I've done with mine because I lowered it with H&R springs and the resulting ride was firmer than stock (which, as you know, is already pretty form). It helped a little, but it was no panacea.

You may want to avoid models and years listed here:

Subaru Faces Class-Action Suit for Excessive Oil Consumption

http://wot.motortrend.com/1407_suba..._excessive_oil_consumption.html#ixzz3FgwBx5iR

The lawsuit represents owners of 2011-14 Foresters, 2013 Legacy sedans, and 2013 Outbacks all equipped with 2.5-liter flat-four engines; and owners of 2012-13 Impreza models and 2013 Crosstrek models equipped with 2.0-liter flat-four engines.

lift kit. you'd have to go to an offroad shop but usually lifting is easier than lowering when it comes to specific springs and dampers. Everyone here is lowering lol.

If you ever intend to drive in snow I would get an AWD model.

Thank you; does it feel pretty sure-footed (if you've taken it off road at all)? I live in Northern California, near sea level; the coldest it gets in the winter is about 40 - 45 F (4 - 7 degrees C) at the worst. Assuming I'd be spending every other weekend in the mountains, where it can get down to 20 - 30 F in the winter (-7 to -2 C), is the AWD worth the potential hit to fuel economy/weight/complexity? Honestly, I'd be much more likely to trade up if I could keep the 6sp manual/standard :( I just really don't like auto trans (my reasons are: complexity/cost to replace or fix, the inability to idle in neutral at stops without torque-converter 'creep', shifts when I want them, and personally, I become bored to tears driving an auto.)

A little out of the box, but given that you love the CX5 and it isn't the best vehicle for this one job how about buying a beater pickup or .... And paying a bit to stoe it near the beginning of the bad road. At a gas station or local business ETC.

Better yet, turn a problem into fun. Get a nice 4WD atv and store it near by or trailer it behind the CX5 It would easly make the 15 mile trip at 25 MPH and be fun. I have a old 4 wheeler and they will go anywhere and are a pile of fun to ride. If it had to, it could even pull the trailer it arrived on to move supply's ETC.

Or a used Wrangler, usually plenty of inventory probably because of the gas mileage.

A little out of the box, but given that you love the CX5 and it isn't the best vehicle for this one job how about buying a beater pickup or .... And paying a bit to stoe it near the beginning of the bad road. At a gas station or local business ETC.

Better yet, turn a problem into fun. Get a nice 4WD atv and store it near by or trailer it behind the CX5 It would easly make the 15 mile trip at 25 MPH and be fun. I have a old 4 wheeler and they will go anywhere and are a pile of fun to ride. If it had to, it could even pull the trailer it arrived on to move supply's ETC.

This is a good idea, thank you!

This.

If you consider the ATV, make sure it is legal on the road. Or get an old, cheap truck or SUV. When it snows any CUV without real all terrain tires is going to struggle. And if the snow gets more than a couple of inches deep, you just won't make it.

The idea of having a secondary vehicle you can just keep at the property would sound like a cool idea. You don't lose your beloved CX5 and you get another fun car you can use and abuse in that type of environment. Even though an AWD CX5 could probably handle the snow, it still won't be very comfortable when combined with the mud in the winter time. The cost of a old/cheap dedicated off roader could be cheaper then the value lost when trading in your current CX5. So you might as well get something that you know can handle the conditions when things get rough and you won't feel so bad scuffing it up in an undeveloped type of environment.

What about something like an old 4runner. They run about $5k now and you can use that for building up the property and would be easy enough to drive around town up there.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4700239904.html

Found a manual one! This would be super fun! Just throw on a set of off roading type tires and you're set!
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/4687397661.html

Last edited:
A couple suggestions:

-You could try running low tire pressure for the trip up there (like 20PSI) and refill the tires at the first gas station before driving too far at speed on pavement. This should make a huge impact on comfort and traction, but doing this every weekend sounds like it could be a huge pain in the rear.

-You could try some Geolader AT tires: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123842678-CX-5-Yokohama-Geolandar-A-T-S

-In the winter you could try running snow chains. With chains you'll end up with more traction in the snow than an AWD would without.

-An AWD CX-5 will not help with the suspension comfort. Lower speed an lower tire pressure will.

So, a family member offered to sell me a piece of raw mountain/forest property for very cheap, and seeing a good opportunity, I went for it. Been driving up to it about once a week to clear trees and plan for eventually building a cabin. Thing is, the roads up there are about 10 miles of rough gravel/crushed rock, then about 5 miles of soft, rutted dirt road (see picture below). The CX-5 gets up there like a champ, with only the occasional stutter from the TCS when I hit a really soft patch.

Sounds good so far.

Problems:
1. The suspension on the CX-5 Sport is more tuned for cornering and smooth roads, so the ride is pretty rough/loud. I don't go faster than 25MPH, but I hear a loud "CLUNK" in the driver-side dash/front driver shock-tower area every time there's a sharp rise or a sharp drop for that wheel. It's... concerning.

That does not sound right. I've been driving a lot of roads a lot more extreme than what you have described and there should be no loud clunks unless you are bottoming hard parts against the ground (and it doesn't sound like you are). I would have the bolts on the shock towers checked for proper torque. If I recall, at least one member has reported this same problem (fixed by tightening the bolts).

2. With no AWD, it can get a little dicey sometimes, especially when one of the front wheels loses traction... the TCS hits in rapid "bursts", where the TCS light flashes as it removes/adds power to that wheel. It's loud, and also somewhat... concerning.

That sounds like it's working properly. It could be louder than normal due to loose strut bolts (above problem). My only concern would be that the road will only deteriorate as the winter season progresses. I don't know how steep it is but, depending upon steepness and slipperiness, you might want to consider AWD (although tires are more important).

3. This is in dry weather... what happens when it rains or snows?

See above

SO, what are my options? Am I going to eventually screw up my suspension/frame/etc.? I haven't noticed a change in on-road driving, still as smooth as before. Is there a way to swap the shocks/springs to something a little softer that wouldn't transmit so much impact to the frame/suspension arms? Maybe adjustable shocks? Different tires?

My experience makes me confident in the ruggedness of the CX-5. A softer suspension would be more likely to bottom and therefore break/bend a suspension component, a wheel or the chassis itself. A firm suspension helps protect against this. Different tires could make a big difference. Even adjusting the pressure to 30-32 lb. could be a big improvement but you should definitely air them higher before running at freeway speeds, especially fully loaded.

But keep this in mind. The ride in a true off-road vehicle like short wheelbase Jeep or Landcruiser is anything but pleasant on bad roads. Even a relatively fit person can get a decent core muscle work-out by off-roading for a couple of hours. My F-150 4x4 is not as capable off-road as my CX-5 but it's longer wheelbase and larger diameter tires do provide a smoother, less physical ride on rocky, rutted roads (at the expense of much more fuel, more than twice as much).

Those of you with AWD CX-5s: is the AWD full-time and up to the task in your experience? Is the suspension different in the AWD models? I'd be willing to trade in for an AWD model as a last resort and just deal with the auto trans, I guess (boom02), but I don't wannnnaaaa if I don't have to (rei).

Yes, the AWD is more than up to the task for the types of conditions you have described. The suspension is the same as the FWD models (which is very good but it sounds like yours may have a loose strut).

Would I be better off trading in for like a Subaru Forester (sacrilege I know! (attn))? The 2.5i model has a 6sp trans WITH the AWD option. I really would love to stay in the Mazda fam tho, I really do love the CX-5 so far! I would love any suggestions, advice, anything.

Personally, I think Subaru's are over-rated. But some people love them. If you can live with their on-road mushy experience and aren't concerned with repair/reliability than their more wagon like models with longer wheelbase and lower center of gravity will get you a smoother ride off-road. But my advice would be to fix the clunk, maybe get some higher quality tires run at a lower pressure and see how it handles the road in question under wet conditions. If you plan on doing it in winter snow or ice, there is no question, you want snow tires and AWD. Even then, snow/ice can prevent the most capable 4WD vehicle from being able to safely navigate many back-country roads. It often comes down to how off-camber the road is and how steep it is.
]

I went from FWD to AWD. Night and day difference. I'd do it if you want to stick to CX-5.

Subarus are fine too. If you could tolerate Forrester or Outback, both will do for sure.

Last option, upgrade tires.

First, thanks for an amazing reply. You hit every single issue right on the head!

That does not sound right. I've been driving a lot of roads a lot more extreme than what you have described and there should be no loud clunks unless you are bottoming hard parts against the ground (and it doesn't sound like you are). I would have the bolts on the shock towers checked for proper torque. If I recall, at least one member has reported this same problem (fixed by tightening the bolts).]

Thank you; am due for a service soon, will have them address this. I should add that it sounds very much like it's coming from the dash, almost as if the sudden twist is causing unusual contact between parts. However, because it really is hard to tell where noises are coming from, it may very well be the strut brace being loose, and I'll definitely bring that up!

That sounds like it's working properly. It could be louder than normal due to loose strut bolts (above problem). My only concern would be that the road will only deteriorate as the winter season progresses. I don't know how steep it is but, depending upon steepness and slipperiness, you might want to consider AWD (although tires are more important).]

Understood. There are only a few truly steep parts; for the most part, it looks like a poured concrete base with hard serrated ridges, kind of like the rumble strips on the side of some roads, to keep you awake, but deeper and a bit further apart. On top of this is crushed/powdered rock, dirt, and gravel. That's about 60% of it. The rest is somewhat compacted, soft red dirt with gravel mixed in from time to time (clearly done by hand at some point). That's the part I'm worried about weather-wise.

My experience makes me confident in the ruggedness of the CX-5. A softer suspension would be more likely to bottom and therefore break/bend a suspension component, a wheel or the chassis itself. A firm suspension helps protect against this. Different tires could make a big difference. Even adjusting the pressure to 30-32 lb. could be a big improvement but you should definitely air them higher before running at freeway speeds, especially fully loaded.]

Great point, thank you. I guess the stiffer setup transmits so much rumble and impact feel, it tends to worry that things will start to vibrate a part. But, you're right; a softer setup just moves the energy somewhere else!

But keep this in mind. The ride in a true off-road vehicle like short wheelbase Jeep or Landcruiser is anything but pleasant on bad roads. Even a relatively fit person can get a decent core muscle work-out by off-roading for a couple of hours. My F-150 4x4 is not as capable off-road as my CX-5 but it's longer wheelbase and larger diameter tires do provide a smoother, less physical ride on rocky, rutted roads (at the expense of much more fuel, more than twice as much).]

This helps me a ton. I've never owned a highly articulated 4WD vehicle, so I wasn't sure if it made the ride any more compliant, but it sounds like it just gives you more capability and grip with the same amount of wild jostling :) Tires sound like the way to go. I'll have to go find that thread where the guy got the A/T tires that still feel decent on-road.

Yes, the AWD is more than up to the task for the types of conditions you have described. The suspension is the same as the FWD models (which is very good but it sounds like yours may have a loose strut).]

Again, thanks. Big help. It probably isn't worth the expense and lost depreciation for me to go trade in for an AWD, at least not until I try new tires.

Personally, I think Subaru's are over-rated. But some people love them. If you can live with their on-road mushy experience and aren't concerned with repair/reliability than their more wagon like models with longer wheelbase and lower center of gravity will get you a smoother ride off-road. But my advice would be to fix the clunk, maybe get some higher quality tires run at a lower pressure and see how it handles the road in question under wet conditions. If you plan on doing it in winter snow or ice, there is no question, you want snow tires and AWD. Even then, snow/ice can prevent the most capable 4WD vehicle from being able to safely navigate many back-country roads. It often comes down to how off-camber the road is and how steep it is.
]

I actually went and test-drove a '14 Forester, and while it was perfectly pleasant, and it wouldn't kill me to drive it, that sure is a mushy 6speed. It felt like the manual trans on a Corolla Wagon. Vague clutch take-up / very soft clutch, and a shifter that could NOT keep up with me. No comparison. I'm probably spoiled by the fact that the CX-5 has the best rower this side of a Civic Si, which was just crazy good. Beside that, the Forester was wallowy, with more body roll than I'm now used to. No thanks :)

I went from FWD to AWD. Night and day difference. I'd do it if you want to stick to CX-5.

Subarus are fine too. If you could tolerate Forrester or Outback, both will do for sure.

Last option, upgrade tires.

Thanks :) If the AWD/2.5 were available in a 6MT, it would be worth the depreciation hit for me. I just really dislike auto trans that much :D

Thanks :) If the AWD/2.5 were available in a 6MT, it would be worth the depreciation hit for me. I just really dislike auto trans that much :D

These things are very personnal, but for what it's worth, I've always been a manual trans guy, and was also cringing at the thought of driving an auto... In the end, I've been pleasantly surprised. This auto is more like a manual that shifts by reading your mind. Realy, it's that good (for me anyway). But yeah... try good tires and have your struts looked at first, it might be all you need for way less hit on your wallet.

Sounds good so far.

But keep this in mind. The ride in a true off-road vehicle like short wheelbase Jeep or Landcruiser is anything but pleasant on bad roads. Even a relatively fit person can get a decent core muscle work-out by off-roading for a couple of hours. My F-150 4x4 is not as capable off-road as my CX-5 but it's longer wheelbase and larger diameter tires do provide a smoother, less physical ride on rocky, rutted roads (at the expense of much more fuel, more than twice as much).

]

This is important and true. If you are in good shape and don't mind taking the pounding then no problem. if you are not then consider a ATV. I know it seems crazy but I don't like being thrown around in a car or truck but I ride a ATV for fun, The tires are VERY soft (About 3 to 5 PSI) and the suspension has very long travel. Also the vehicle is small enough that you can pick your spot and drive around some problems, big bumps are handled by driving up one side and down the other, not by bouncing over them. With the soft tires and nice suspension I have crossed a 10 in dia log with no damage to me or the ATV.

Again a car or truck may work for you, but if not test a ATV.

BTW if any of this road is yours think about this. http://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/power-graders/

Back