10K on my 2 (Demio) sport, 5mt, and first long trip

okvol

:
2014 Mazda 2 sport
800 mile cross-country trip in the USA. My car has a cork-sport rear sway stiffener, Miata wheels and Neo-Gen tires, rest is stock.
Last trip was in a 2000 Chevy Cobalt. My wife loves the seats in the Mazda by comparison. We are 55+, and weren't sore from the ride for 1.5 days.

I also angered a Cadillac CTS that was trying to follow me, and he almost slid off a curve! BTW, I autocross this car (but with Bridgestone RE11A's on the front).

Just wanted to relate that this car is wonderful on a long trip - except for the lack of cruise.

The ONLY reason I went with the Touring model was the cruise. I got the car after my last car was destroyed in an accident, it was between the Fiesta and the 2. What sold me were the seats. With three herniated discs in my lower back the 2 was the only car in the price range that not only felt comfortable, but actually relieved my back pain. This little go-kart is so under-rated it's a crime.

Glad to hear it did well, I've only done a long trip of about 360 miles(on my hardcore winter tires), and even without cruise I was very satisfied. A lot of hills/backroads too, so I don't think cruise would've been very effective anyway.

This little go-kart is so under-rated it's a crime.

That's a perfect description hehe.

Just got back, doing 800 miles again. Through heavy rain. Btw, Neo-Gen tires are great in even heavy rain. And the traction control will handle hydroplaning so well.

I agree - it is a dirty shame that Ford limits the marketing in the USA.

You know, it's funny -- half of the people on here think the seats are great (I'm one of them), and half think the seats suck.

Ford badges 2s as a Fiesta and sells them in the USA.

They only have a handful of components in common. Misc brake components, relays, and the dipstick being the bulk of it. They are developed from a shared architecture but are very different cars.

But they are still discouraged from pushing a 2 in advertising. I've seen 3s and 6es, and especially the SUVs, but never a 2. It was a racing forum where I learned about this wonderful car. And I'm racing again Sunday.

Mazda, simply enough, doesn't make very much money from selling 2's. There's a much beefier margin in a 3, 6 or CX-5, especially when you consider the fancy option packages.

But they are still discouraged from pushing a 2 in advertising. I've seen 3s and 6es, and especially the SUVs, but never a 2. It was a racing forum where I learned about this wonderful car. And I'm racing again Sunday.

No, they're not. Mazda and Ford have no partnerships and don't have any control over each other. Ford sold all their shares in Mazda many years ago, Mazda doesn't advertise the 2 because no one wants to buy such a small vehicle when you have Escalades and Yukons dominating the road. They don't have the money Ford does, so they advertise the 3 best selling cars to hit the most people: Mazda 3, CX-5, and Mazda 6. The same way they don't advertise the Miata, Mazda 5, and CX-9...they don't sell near what the other three do so they're not going to blow millions on advertising a vehicle only a certain group will buy. Not to mention Mazda isn't a household name yet, they're still emerging in the US market. Most people think of them as "one of those other Japanese car companies" despite how long they've been here.

Oddly enough, you see more Mazda's on tracks and at autocross events around the country. And the North American Mazda Motorsports support program is by far the best of any manufacturer! :)

Back