Mazda6 wheels on Mazda3??

Finally put the new wheels on.
I might regret doing it so early as we might still have a few snow dumps, but I couldn't wait!!

Here is the result

bc35add0d53bb3e7a2002c4c04a1ed4b.jpg
ef473b09b375f9ea976090e4d1c85c21.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's snow? (Yay, SoCal haha) It looks good! I hated the stock wheels on my car. Was so happy I got different wheels. The wheel gap was nasty.

The wheel arch gap hasn't reduced much. Just 5mm I think.

But it looks "fuller"..

Than you!!

Thank you!!

I wonder if I should lower it a tad... What do you guys think?

Yes to lowering. You can get Eibach prokit/sportline or Corksport lowering springs depending how much of a drop you want. Ride quality would be comfortable with just lowering springs.

I really don't want to loose comfort.
Do you reckon it would be okay to just change the springs?

You will definitely lose ride comfort with lowering springs, even if you hadn't swapped in lower profile tires. Luckily we don't have many pot holes here so the ride I have now is acceptable, but not by alot.
The only way to independently lower without stiffening up the ride is to get coilovers like BC Racing or Standard. If Koni adjustable shocks were available, I'd get them. However, the cost of springs and Konis approach full coilovers - not inexpensive.
I think some of the road pounding with just lowering springs can be reduced by swapping out the massively heavy OEM wheels (which are probably beefy enough for a CX-9) with 16-18 lb wheels. That's at least a 10 lb drop in unsprung weight per corner - significant for ride and acceleration improvements.

Yes. Like I said, it would still be comfortable with just lowering springs. When I had mine, they felt like stock ride with a little more stiffness. There are people who say you should change out the shocks when you get lowering springs or you can "blow" them. But to be honest, they're not going to "blow" unless you do something stupid. It would wear them down faster cuz you put on aftermarket springs that have a different spring rate than OEM springs.

Just because your lowering the car, doesnt mean you have to give up any comfort. I had a set of Intrax springs on one of my old cars that was the exact same spring rate as stock, just lower. It rode just like stock because the spring rate was unchanged. Its only going to get rougher and such if the spring rate has gone up.

My vote, start doing some research. Im sure you can find a lowering spring that isnt a huge drop, and that has something the same, or close to the stock spring rate. :)

Gas shocks should "stiffen up" as they compress. Otherwise you'd be slamming the bump stops - not very pleasant. That was the problem with my MX6 GT. The ride was cushy but the KYBs were too compliant. My 3s OEM shocks become tighter and tighter as they get closer to their travel limit. While this is great for hard cornering with dips and swoops, it does make for a stiff ride. So expect:
Lower springs (for better handling) with OEM shocks = stiff, sporty ride and better handling.
Lower springs with wimpy shocks = kidney- pounding jolts when the bump stops are pounded.

What concept said about the shockies is true. It makes sense so I won't be replacing the springs.
The streets in Japan are excellent, with seriously NO potholes, and only minor bumps.

As for lighter wheels - I would like to have them, but I can't stand the looks of aftermarket wheels, it doesnt matter what they are. I love OEM stuff for some reason. So my wheels HAVE to be Mazda.

I'm in Japan, so I should have no trouble finding some great comfy coilovers. I mean, there must be heaps of stuff out there, the problem is finding it (language barrier).
Im not too worried about costs(within reason), but if I am going to do it, I want to do it ONCE only.

Just by replacing the wheels and tires I haven't lost any ride quality at all. That is after 5 months of Michellin X-ice on 16 inch wheels.
I got 225/40, Toyo DRBs (a bit noisier but that's what you get with slightly higher performance tires)

Last edited:
I wish I could find forged OEM wheels that were 15 lbs lighter, although in this scenario, the spokes would be scaled down. Running with OEM-looking wheels makes the car look like it is new whereas people often assume that aftermarket wheels means the car was purchased used and upgraded with spare money. I guess this why I'm waiting a while before upgrading the wheels. I did buy Eibach springs almost immediately because I wanted the 3 to look like the advertisements (It does!) without spending thousands of dollars.

The only lighter OEM mazda wheels we can find are the 19s from the RX8 - but I'm not sure about the offset and width.

So you reckon your ride quality isn't that bad with your current Eibach setup?
On a scale of 0-10, 10 being the factory ride. What would you score the current setup? (If that makes sense)

What about warranty? Would something like this void any warranty?

Btw - your drop looks amazing. Not too low, so it still looks classy

Thanks. I think the ride height looks similar to that of a BMW M3 or a 335. This brochure photo was what I was shooting for:
31489afd9794354a25b86b30442fc3de.jpg

and I think the Eibachs meet or slightly beat that ride height.

I'd say if 10 is OEM, then my ride is a 6 or 7 at best. It would be better if the seat were softer on the bottom - like my MX5's seat. The suspension in my MX5 is about as stiff but I'd rate the ride better than the 3 only because of the seat softness.

Still, I prefer a stiff ride if the handling is enhanced, and in this case, it is. Sway is less than OEM and the car doesn't side-hop while traversing a sweeping corner on less than smooth road surfaces.

Your drop looks great!
But I would hate to loose that much ride quality.
In japan, Mazda sells their own Mazda Speed shocks+springs so I'll have a chat with them and see how much harder the springs are.

I only want abou 15 to 20mm drop

Back