Wife left her CX-5 in neutral over night... questions

snotrod

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD
My wife somehow for got to put her car in park last night and left it in neutral. She said she "thinks" the stereo might have been on. This morning it wouldn't start, no reaction from the key fob or anything. Before I started messing around with jump starting it, I wanted to know if maybe the security system might've locked things down (my old Jeep Grand Cherokee used to do something similar), or if the battery is really just dead. any ideas?

thanks!

Uhhh, was the engine running or off? Ignition in ACC mode or otherwise? Details, details...

If you shut off the car with the gear selector in drive or neutral the accessories stay on. That means the radio and whatever else was running ran all night. I suspect it is just a dead battery

I did once with my first one. Your battery is dead and you'll have to use a battery charger or have a shop do it to charge the battery properly.

If you shut off the car with the gear selector in drive or neutral the accessories stay on. That means the radio and whatever else was running ran all night. I suspect it is just a dead battery
This. It won't let you go into OFF mode in neutral, only ACC, ON, and START. I usually do this at long lights like draw bridges. I'm surprised she didn't notice the headunit screen was still on...

I thought our cars had a battery drain prevention and accessories won't completely suck the battery dead.

Battery drain prevention? I think not. Just charge the battery and forget it, reminding all to not leave the vehicle in neutral over night. :)

You were all right. It was just a dead battery, not any sort of security. thanks again.

If you turn the car off in neutral and the radio on, it will turn off after 20 min according to the user manual. Now if you leave the dome light on it will stay on until the battery is dead, my wife left the dome light on one night and I went out and saw it 3 hrs after she was home, good thing it didn't draw too much power.

If you turn the car off in neutral and the radio on, it will turn off after 20 min according to the user manual. Now if you leave the dome light on it will stay on until the battery is dead, my wife left the dome light on one night and I went out and saw it 3 hrs after she was home, good thing it didn't draw too much power.

I left one of my map lights on all night once and the CX5 still started.

Back