Looking to get a 06-09 Mazda3, perferably hatch but if not, sedan.

IllaNoizeTV

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hey guys,

Looking to get a 07 Mazda3, perferably hatch but if not, sedan. Is there any advice on what to look for as far as repairs or faulty things with these cars? The car im looking it has around 65xxx miles. Looking to pay around $160/month.

well you seem to have a good idea on what you want to buy. So hatches as i observe are more common to see than sedans usually so you are one step further. Now usually im assuming you mean by factory defaults etc not including what the previous owner has done to it so in that case mazda 3's are acutally really good cars and are extremely reliable. So in case of problems i would say not really any by my recall. And your mileage range is actually fairly decent and it is quite common for you to find one. Price on the other hand im not so sure but that can be negotiated by the seller.

So yeah i guess my overall advice to you is that just be cautious whether the previous owner has done anything to it that you might not see at first ( i didnt and found lots of scratches, dents , a small k mart battery which fits a honda and a baby on board sign)

Best of luck !
Hope this helps
WuCheng

Skip the 06 and get the refreshed version (07 to 09). Better rust proofing, better paint, few more options on certain trim levels, and a refreshed interior.

My 08 hasn't had a problem since I bought it 8 months ago. Original owner only had the power steering(recall) and a gasket changed in 114k kilometers. Then, depending on the mileage and how rough the roads are, you'll probably have a few more parts to change to keep a nice solid feel over bumps. At 129k, I've had all 4 shocks done, doing the brakes soon, and already replaced the control arms.

They really are good reliable cars. Watch out for rust, you'll have more suspension components to replace, but you'll have fun taking it around corners.

Back