Possible cylinder head replacement P5 down

Anyone know any good shops in the Maryland, Virginia, DC area to replace the cylinder head Protege5? Has 160,000 miles and overheating. Was in rush hour traffic yesterday, and the car started to overheat. White smoke from the engine bay, coolant all over the place and leaking… Towed my car to my mechanic and they noted the cylinder head needed to be replaced. Recently replaced the radiator which still looks OK.

Quickly started her up today, the fans run fine but the coolant was bubbling. After a hour of searching the forums it does appear to be the head. If anyone has any good local recommendations please let me know. The P5 is down. :(

Naw - sounds like head. "Bubbling coolant."

Any good local shop can do it. Are you near Columbia MD?

Hey P-Funk!

Columbia is about 64 miles away but I can have it towed to Columbia. Currently working on purchasing a head from a member here.

Bchurly, I am going to check the thermostat and water pump tomorrow. I haven’t replaced them in a while and may just replace them as well.

Last edited:
Wow - there must be a competent garage closer than that. The towing charge will kill you!

Wow - there must be a competent garage closer than that. The towing charge will kill you!

I found a shop local that appears to have good reviews. I hope that I will be back on the road soon. When the P5 is repaired, I am taking a long road trip to celebrate. LOL

Before you replace the head, have the mechanic do a compression test and see if in fact the head is bad, you mentioned that you had just replaced your radiator, did you properly bleed the air out of the system, I kinda had the same problem, my overflow was bubbling every time I parked the car, I had replaced my fan and thermostat and before the bubbling and completely forgot if I properly bled the system and everyone said it was my head but my antifreeze was still green and my oil was still golden, and I think it was either azuleke or scratchnsniff that mentioned the air and sure enough after I drained the coolant out and bleed it correctly it never bubbled again.

Thank you everyone! I’ve bleed out the system, and replaced the thermostat also. The issue is resolved. I am back on the road. Now I can move forward with my next mods. If you were all close to me I would buy you all a bunch of beers or drinks LOL.

Thank you!

Back