Automatic Headlight Hack?

It must be a Touring/Grand Touring thing. Weird they would leave such a basic option out of the lower end though. I mean hell, my other 8 year old Mazda, and my Kia even do it.

Totally agree monoxide... My 2004 mazda 6 had this feature (although it was an "s" wagon).

Anecdote-- my wife's 2008 VW GTI (arguably not a base model) doesn't have auto off... It has auto-leveling HID's that turn off when the car does, but these lame incandescent parking lights and the rear lights all stay on... (huh) weird what car companies do and don't include.

Figured I'd check the window sticker since I just got it, and mine mentions "auto" headlights, but that's because it has the auto on/off based on the light sensor that is standard on the Grand Touring.

TL:.DR -> If the lights stay on it doesn't have the feature.

Is there any way to add automatic lights to one that didn't come standard? My previous car (2010 Camry SE) had this feature and it's something I really miss. It was so nice never having to think of turning on/off the headlights. I'd assume Id need the sensor, new switch, but beyond that is it programmed in the computer too or is it just simple switching based on the sensor?

You could do it with a relay. A normally open relay that is powered by a 12v signal that is energized when the ignition is on which closes the signal from the head light switch. That way when you turn off the ignition it opens and cuts power from the headlight switch.

You could do it with a relay. A normally open relay that is powered by a 12v signal that is energized when the ignition is on which closes the signal from the head light switch. That way when you turn off the ignition it opens and cuts power from the headlight switch.
I'd rather not do that as then the lights are running all the time, even during the day, which will cut down the life of the bulbs. I'd much rather it be activated via a light sensor so they only turn on when it's dark

I'd rather not do that as then the lights are running all the time, even during the day, which will cut down the life of the bulbs. I'd much rather it be activated via a light sensor so they only turn on when it's dark

No the relay would be on the signal between the headlight switch and the headlight relay so you could turn your lights on and off as you wish.

No the relay would be on the signal between the headlight switch and the headlight relay so you could turn your lights on and off as you wish.

I understand how it works but then in stll dealing with fussing with turning them on and off. Oem with sensor is much more elegant and what I want. What's required to add it to a sport?

The original topic was auto turn off when you turn the car off so that's what I assumed you were asking not auto on.

I guess lifting my arm and turning a switch on when it got dark isn't a very big deal for me.

The original topic was auto turn off when you turn the car off so that's what I assumed you were asking not auto on.

I guess lifting my arm and turning a switch on when it got dark isn't a very big deal for me.
When you own a car for years with the feature you grow very accustomed to it. It's a super nice feature.

Guess you should have ponied up for the GT then.

Is there a reason you are being combative and condescending? I asked a simple question: if it's possible to add it to a sport, and if so, what is required to do so?

Plenty of folks around here ask questions about adding HID/Fog Lights/Etc without getting a hard time for not paying almost $10k more to get the GT.

Adding an OEM solution is sometimes not possible from a practical or financial standpoint. I believe you've been given the range of options available to you. Perhaps the one that troubled you was the most realistic option, which was to buy the CX-9 with all your must-haves already included (as in GT). I see no malice in that suggestion nor the style in that it was delivered.

It's just the freakin' internet. Try not to allow one comment to unglue you. It's such a waste of emotional energy.

Adding an OEM solution is sometimes not possible from a practical or financial standpoint. I believe you've been given the range of options available to you. Perhaps the one that troubled you was the most realistic option, which was to buy the CX-9 with all your must-haves already included (as in GT). I see no malice in that suggestion nor the style in that it was delivered.

It's just the freakin' internet. Try not to allow one comment to unglue you. It's such a waste of emotional energy.

Realistically the only additional feature I really want out of the GT is the auto on/off headlights. I'd rather spend $500 to make that happen over $10k for a vehicle with all the bells and whistles. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has thought about this, which is why I asked. The left tweeter has the cut out for the sensor, so I'm thinking it shouldn't be too impractical if it's just the new knob plus sensor plus wiring know how. Knowing basic wiring/circuitry I'd think this shouldn't be computer controlled. The light sensor should tell the circuit to be open or closed depending on if it senses light or not. I'll try reaching out to a Mazda tech and see what's involved.

Speaking to a Mazda tech, it's controlled by the body control module :-( so, not possible on an oem standpoint. Thanks to those that chimed in.

When you own a car for years with the feature you grow very accustomed to it. It's a super nice feature.

Unfortunately, I think you would be digging pretty deep into some wiring and logic to get a system on the Sport. I'm not sure most people would be familiar with what's required/what programming is necessary. I would agree its a nice feature on my GT, and it's funny coming from the other side of it. I never had a car with auto-headlights, so I still manually turn it from "OFF" to "AUTO". Since it dims the dash when the lights turn on, if it's still somewhat bright out, I have a button press in my future anyway. I guess I personally don't find it very useful then.

Of note, the SE isn't a base model, where as the Sport is, so some feature loss could be expected (even with model year discrepancy).

Back