Speedo and larger tires

RatLabGuy

Huh? What?
:
'03 p5 and '89 4Runner; M5 (wife's)
Hi guys, haven't poasted here in a long time.. still rockin' the P5!

I just replaced my tires w/ some General Tire AltiMax RT43, is the somewhat larger size of 255/55/R16.
I specifically went w/ this tire & size to soften the ride and decrease the rather annoying high RPMs in 5th gear on the highway.
Comparing the specs on this brand, they have the diameter listed as 24.9" as opposed to only 23.7" for the 195/50/16, which is about a 5% increase.

What has surprised me though is that the speedo seems to still be pretty accurate, as opposed to being 5% off. I haven't watched it extensively, but some qucik comparisons to a GPS program on my phone showed it was only about 2mph off at 65-70 as opposed to the 3.5 I'd expect.
Has anybody else experienced this? Is the stock speedo not quite right?
I never bothered to compare w/ my previous tires, although they were 205/50s anyway so still not 100% stock.

FYI the ride is WAY softer, don't feel every bump in the road anymore. I can also tell a difference off the line (slower), which is expected w/ the bigger (and much heavier!) tire.

No s***... I'm just wondering what the norm seems to be w/ these cars. This evidence suggests that stock it under-reads by a substantial margin, but maybe that was just mine.
Seeing as how it is gear-driven I'd think they'd all be the same though.

No s***... I'm just wondering what the norm seems to be w/ these cars. This evidence suggests that stock it under-reads by a substantial margin, but maybe that was just mine.
Seeing as how it is gear-driven I'd think they'd all be the same though.

No, literally every car is different. Just like an old non digital clock, 2 of the same clock made on the same day will have different time on them.

My protege was dead on till 75mph when it showed I was doing 80 I was actually doing 84

Back