Recommend: e-focus rear motor mount

sac02

:
2013 Mazda5 Sport 6MT
Hey all, not sure if this is news or not. I had to do some research to find it.

I installed an electric Focus rear motor mount (that is, the RMM from the electric version of the Ford Focus. Not an electric motor mount) a couple days ago. Ford PN CM5Z-6068-A. Available where ever Ford parts are sold, though likely special order. It's a solid runner rubber mount, instead of the stock hole-filled unit, and seems like a good compromise between vibration-inducing poly and th still-too-weak OEM ms3 mounts. The Focus ST guys have been using them for a year or two since they were "discovered".

Benefits that I have noticed:
1. Significant reduction in wheel hop, on both launches and (more importantly to me) corner exits under power.
2. Significant reduction in other engine motions - under braking, acceleration, and shifting especially, there much less shake/disturbance/aftershock (not sure exactly what to call it) than with the stock mount. Really, I didn't realize how significant these motions were, until they were gone.
3. Increase in overall "solid/tight" feeling of the vehicle. Going over a speed bump or expansion joint used to have some lingering shimmy/vibration for a split second, but that is now gone. Again, I didn't realize this impact of the engine shaking the entire car until it was eliminated.

Negative impact:
1. More vibration, primarily at idle. With A/C off there is barely-noticable levels of vibration. At idle with A/C on, there is noticeable vibration, but not objectionable, IMO. My wife will likely not notice unless I were to tell her. At engine speeds greater than 1000rpm, I can't tell any difference.

Overall:
Highly recommended. I feel this is a very good tradeoff of significantly better control of engine movements, for only slight increase in NVH at idle. This would not be the best choice for a big turbo 400whp car, or a dedicated track/AX machine (plenty of polyurethane mount options for that). For my goals of trying to keep this car a comfortable DD, I definitely think this is the best compromise.

Last edited:
Picture of the two mounts below. Stock mount on top, e-Focus mount on bottom. It is obvious that the stock mount is heavily biased towards comfort, and not towards controlling engine movements.

HvOyqu4.jpg

I just received mine in the mail today for my 5. I will have it installed tomorrow by my mechanic. I am looking forward to some great results. Mine was 35 shipped. And it's a really nice Aluminum piece, which is amazing considering the price it is sold at. I will also pair it with a AWR racing passenger side 95 duro engine mount that I purchased once it arrives.

Pig, what is your intended application for your car?

I ask because all evidence seems to indicate that the PM and TMM are much much more likely to introduce objectionable amounts of vibration, compared to the RMM. Just a warning in case you weren't aware.

I don't have a family, I just enjoy having a spacious car to haul all the stuff I buy. I realize that PM will add considerable amount of vibration. But my goal is to build basically a mild track day 6 seater to weird out all the RX-7 and Miata guys on track day at Laguna Seca and Infineon Raceway.

I will be running on stock wheels with bilstein B6 HD on stock springs. Mazdaspeed 3 Oem rear sway bar, moog end links. Goodridge stainless steel brakelines. I also have a cosworth BSD balance shaft delete kit but I holding off on putting it on until I put my PM on, since I don't know how bad vibrations will get. If vibrations are not too bad I will put on the BSD and order up a oil pan baffle for it. At this points all parts are in except for the Bilstein which will be ordered up soon. I looked through all the suspension kit and coilover options but found nothing to my likings.

i've already got an AWR PMM with the higher duro bushings because the lower duro bushing fell apart, the vibes are not terrible but there was a definate increase, i've also got a MS3 RSB sitting in the garage that i just need to get the end links so i can install it. i just might have to pick this up, i think i also need to replace the trans mount as i have noticed some sloppy trans feeling... sadly i have an automatic, so it's going to be sloppy no matter what

Thanks for the heads up, glad to know the AWR PMM doesn't make too much vibration. I have a track MR2 with stiff engine mounts and a torsion bar, I highly doubt the 5 would make more vibration than that.

Just head it installed, added vibration is minimal at idle, you feel more of it with the AC, even then it's not bad. Car shifts alot better now and also alot less wheelhop, best 35 bucks I've spent.

Do you have a link to the place where you bought this motor mount? I saw it on eBay for about $35 but prices are all over the map. I could not find this product through Rock Auto. Thanks.

Had my suspension and the passenger side AWR mount installed today. There is now noticeable amount of vibration when going from 1-2k rpm. Sound level level inside also have drastically increased. Most likely because the mount now is close to solidly connecting the engine to the chassis. Idle isn't bad with only a bit more vibration, AC adds only a bit more vibration at idle as well. Absolutely no misshifts anymore or getting stuck at the shift gate. Overall I am very happy with the results and I do love the increase in noise and vibration. BUT this is not a mod for someone who has to keep this car as a DD. Also sad to report that the corksport camber arms do not fit our car, most likely other aftermarket camber arms made for the 3 and MS3 won't fit either. Their curved nature hits part of the mounting bracket, our stock piece is a straight camber arm.

Why is there so much discussion of motor/trans mounts affecting shift quality so much? There should be minor impacts (if any) for a car with shift cables like we have. The cables are rigidly mounted with brackets at the shift lever in vehicle, and at the transmission - so there is no relative motion between the cable end and its mounting point at either end, either in length or angle. The part of the cable that moves if the transmission moves is the flexible cable in between the two rigid points. Altering the path of that cable (like would happen when the engine jerks between shifts) has no effect unless you are putting the cable in a significant bind.

The story would be different for a car with solid shift linkage, where transmission movement will have a significant impact on shifter effort/motion.

I noticed significant reductions in various types of engine motions, but little to no perceivable difference in shifting.

I feel there is some placebo effect happening with people who claim the shifting improved significantly when installing motor mounts in this platform.

Is your AWR passenger side motor mount the 95 durometer spec? If so I would absolutely expect lots more vibration. Do you think getting the 70 durometer spec mount would be worth it?

Had my suspension and the passenger side AWR mount installed today. There is now noticeable amount of vibration when going from 1-2k rpm. Sound level level inside also have drastically increased. Most likely because the mount now is close to solidly connecting the engine to the chassis. Idle isn't bad with only a bit more vibration, AC adds only a bit more vibration at idle as well. Absolutely no misshifts anymore or getting stuck at the shift gate. Overall I am very happy with the results and I do love the increase in noise and vibration. BUT this is not a mod for someone who has to keep this car as a DD. Also sad to report that the corksport camber arms do not fit our car, most likely other aftermarket camber arms made for the 3 and MS3 won't fit either. Their curved nature hits part of the mounting bracket, our stock piece is a straight camber arm.

the better shifting might be a placebo but overall I feel that I get more consistent shifts and clutch drops, maybe because there is less engine movement. And yes I did got the 95 duro spec knowing full well how much vibration it will send to the carbin. I think the 70 duro might be a worthwhile investment to get less engine movement but still have reasonable levels of vibration. I will say this, the AWR piece is absolutely amazing in build and finish quality, you will not be disappointed.

the better shifting might be a placebo but overall I feel that I get more consistent shifts and clutch drops, maybe because there is less engine movement. And yes I did got the 95 duro spec knowing full well how much vibration it will send to the carbin. I think the 70 duro might be a worthwhile investment to get less engine movement but still have reasonable levels of vibration. I will say this, the AWR piece is absolutely amazing in build and finish quality, you will not be disappointed.
Although sac02 is correct about the cables minimizing problems due to mounts I can confirm that a vehicle with mounts like ours will exhibit poor shifting and clutch engagement if the mounts are worn. So stiffening the mounts over stock should marginally improve the shift feel and clutch engagement. By the way, installed this RMM last week and I definitely agree there is a marked improvement in wheel hop and acceleration with very minimal vibration increase. I don't know about the manual trans guys but I had to procure a through bolt with the right thread pitch as the factory one did not match up to the new mount. Great find though, gentlemen.

Last edited:
I just realize this is the same mount Ford revised for the ST. Folks have known about eFocus mount before Ford issued the TSB. can you confirm how much this goes for? Prices are all over the place BUT upon close inspection some appear to be aftermarket mounts that "look" same/similar.

I purchased mine off ebay from the link posted above. $35. The invoice included with it does have the Ford PN# but was not in Ford packaging. Overall the part seems well manufactured, the only cause of concern was the smell of the rubber. In my experience cheap rubber smells bad as did this bushing, time will tell.

I purchased mine off ebay from the link posted above. $35. The invoice included with it does have the Ford PN# but was not in Ford packaging. Overall the part seems well manufactured, the only cause of concern was the smell of the rubber. In my experience cheap rubber smells bad as did this bushing, time will tell.
Ok. I'm pretty sure that $35 is not OEM (prices have gone up so you got in when it was cheaper, been in my ebay shopping cart). It is by "MotorKing" which is an aftermarket supplier – like Moog. Simply judging by pics alone, the Ford OEM seem to have very clean and clear detail in their mold. That is all superficial since the quality of the rubber matters most so time will tell. I think the shiny aluminum piece sways the eyes into thinking it is different especially since we are comparing to the Mazda style OE part, which is distinctly different.

On another topic, there are aftermarket solutions that uses the not-as-pretty Mazda “style” RMM design but filled with solid rubber, unlike OEM which have space/pockets in-between for comfort. Have you looked into these, thoughts? For example, ROCA’s RMM uses the Mazda fuggly “style” design but filled rubber like the eFocus.

On another topic, there are aftermarket solutions that uses the not-as-pretty Mazda “style” RMM design but filled with solid rubber, unlike OEM which have space/pockets in-between for comfort. Have you looked into these, thoughts? For example, ROCA’s RMM uses the Mazda fuggly “style” design but filled rubber like the eFocus.

Yeah, I'd looked at everything from the inserts to the full performance mounts but decided to try this as a compromise between price, comfort and performance. The inserts I looked at cost about the same as this mount. So far I'm happy with my decision.

Back