Recommend: e-focus rear motor mount

I don't have a family, I just enjoy having a spacious car to haul all the stuff I buy. I realize that PM will add considerable amount of vibration. But my goal is to build basically a mild track day 6 seater to weird out all the RX-7 and Miata guys on track day at Laguna Seca and Infineon Raceway.

I will be running on stock wheels with bilstein B6 HD on stock springs. Mazdaspeed 3 Oem rear sway bar, moog end links. Goodridge stainless steel brakelines. I also have a cosworth BSD balance shaft delete kit but I holding off on putting it on until I put my PM on, since I don't know how bad vibrations will get. If vibrations are not too bad I will put on the BSD and order up a oil pan baffle for it. At this points all parts are in except for the Bilstein which will be ordered up soon. I looked through all the suspension kit and coilover options but found nothing to my likings.

Are there B6 for our M5s? Looking at Bilstein's website I'm only able to find B4s.

I'd like to bump this thread just because - it's that good.

I did this swap this weekend. My old mount was a bit creaky but not visibly torn. The difference was still night and day.

There is a tiny, tiny increase in NVH at low revs. Honestly, if I hadn't read about it before I don't know if I'd have noticed it. I do have a 6MT though.

I don't know if my shifting necessarily feels better in the "will it engage properly" sense. What I do note is a tiny bit more consistency to when the synchros engage as I make a shifting genture - it feels nicer, but it doesn't really affect the shift in any meaningful way.

What does become obvious is the decrease of engine movement during a low-speed launch. The clutch feels more precise as a consequence. There's much less lurching when letting off the accelerator in first gear, etc.

All in all, very highly recommended. Easy to do, the e-Focus mount is probably vastly more durable, so it's an upgrade in just about any sense. Make sure to get the right pinch bolt though!

Ruby

How did you guys get this to work if the thread pitch on the Mazda bolt doesnt match the thread pitch in the Ford E-Focus mount?

UPDATE: Never mind, I realized that a new matching FORD bolt also needs to be purchased.

Last edited:
How did you guys get this to work if the thread pitch on the Mazda bolt doesnt match the thread pitch in the Ford E-Focus mount?

UPDATE: Never mind, I realized that a new matching FORD bolt also needs to be purchased.

Is there a part number for the bolt?

Is there a part number for the bolt?

Ford Part# W500545S900

For the mount, I used a knockoff from Amazon. Eagle BHP 4425.
The original mount wasn't broken but the eagle mount was noticeably stiffer and got rid of the 'rubberband' feel I was getting while driving.

I got lazy and ordered standard parts from Amazon and even though the OE parts didn't LOOK too bad, with 145,xxx on the car, I replaced them all. Pretty straightforward removal and install. If me and my son weren't clowning around and I focused, I could have probably had the job done in about 3 hours by myself (took about 4 hours total). A few things happened that maybe might help someone else.
Bottom Mount: After a couple tries, I found loosely assembling the entire unit and getting it located with the three bolts at the front of the assembly FIRST made it easier to get everything square.
Transmission Mount: Even with the engine braced with a jack underneath, the engine still shifted when I loosened the main bolt. A little extra persuasion with the jack got the bolt relocated with the new mount in place.
Passenger Side Mount: The replacement part was a LITTLE different from the OE part in that the bottom part of the OE isolator was wrapped around the mount. The replacement part I got was the isolator ONLY. I was able to bend one of the bottom members of the OE isolator to remove it, but I did not have any kind of tool to bend the similar section on the NEW unit (pics below). After looking at how it's installed. I left it as is. I did not have to remove my coolant reservoir to access the bolts.
As my car is an automatic, I don't feel a significant difference when driving, but the rattling noise I had at idle is GONE. I'll find out more about how it all feels during my stop-and-go commute Monday.

Attachments

• 20171028_143447.jpg
    20171028_143447.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 20171028_124125.jpg
    20171028_124125.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 240
  • 20171028_110515.jpg
    20171028_110515.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
I'm considering ordering the eagle Mount myself to save a few bucks. now that you've had it for a while, could you give me an update on your thoughts regarding how well the mount is holding up?

The Eagle rear mount I installed doesn't feel any different from when I first put it in. It's only been 7 months and ~8K miles though.

The Eagle rear mount I installed doesn't feel any different from when I first put it in. It's only been 7 months and ~8K miles though.

Awesome, I'm dealing with a manual in my vehicle, I just ordered the eaglemount and a new torque strut mount. I am hopeful that it will solve the majority of my issues with the jumpy and sloshy feeling during acceleration and shift changes.

I appreciate your response, and I hope that the mounts last a long time!

Last edited:
Back