Missing Grill Pieces on my CX5

:
2014 Mazda CX 5 GT AWD Aluminum Metallic Mica
I just noticed that there are 2 pieces of my front grill that are missing. It looks like 2 pieces fell out rather than broke off because the adjoining plastic honeycombs are not broken or cracked. It's odd that 2 are missing from the exact same spot on either side but I can't figure out why there would be detachable pieces there as there's nothing important behind it.

Has anyone seen this? I just noticed this but it could have happened months ago. I did have the dealer repair my A/C as it stopped working due to a leak in the hose. Could they have done something?

20141001_160010.jpg

attachment.php

Last edited:
Those are obviously access points to get to something (?). Must have had something to do with your A/C repair or the block heater (?) plug sticking out of your grill. The removable sections are well hidden and I never noticed them before, but I just checked mine and you can see the cut lines around them and they move a little when you grab them.

I just noticed that there are 2 pieces of my front grill that are missing. It looks like 2 pieces fell out rather than broke off because the adjoining plastic honeycombs are not broken or cracked. It's odd that 2 are missing from the exact same spot on either side but I can't figure out why there would be detachable pieces there as there's nothing important behind it.

Has anyone seen this? I just noticed this but it could have happened months ago. I did have the dealer repair my A/C as it stopped working due to a leak in the hose. Could they have done something?

View attachment 208860

attachment.php

The missing pieces are your front parking sensors. Your dealer might have forgotten to put the sensors back.

I don't think I have them on my USA Ohio 2015-T, does it come with the Tech package maybe?

I don't think I have them on my USA Ohio 2015-T, does it come with the Tech package maybe?
There's nothing "Techy" about them. They're simply access plugs and if my no-option 2013 Touring has them, odds are your 2015 does too. Look close, they're hard to see.

Last edited:
Well I'm glad others have them too. I guess the dealer removed them when fixing my A/C. I'm going there in a few weeks for an oil change and I'll complain then to them. :)

My USA 2014 Touring with Tech does NOT have those big holes. They're all perfect honeycombs.
That section you have missing on mine, they're covered, like the others on the edges.

My USA 2014 Touring with Tech does NOT have those big holes. They're all perfect honeycombs.
That section you have missing on mine, they're covered, like the others on the edges.
Look closer and you'll see the cut lines. Grab the honeycomb and try to move it laterally and you'll see that it's a separate piece.

Look closer and you'll see the cut lines. Grab the honeycomb and try to move it laterally and you'll see that it's a separate piece.

You're right, was hard to see in the garage, but I see it now. Was expecting a big gaping hole.

They are definitely the places where front parking sensors would be if you were equipped with them. I presume it's cheaper for Mazda to manufacture a generic front grill with cut outs for blanking pieces/front sensors as appropriate.

Jonno21

I went to the dealer, they explained to me that they wouldn't have removed the grill pieces while fixing the A/C. Then said that they can replace them for $27. I told them if they didn't do it then they must have fell out and should be covered under warranty. The service guy then said well it would be only warrantied if they were loose. I told him that doesn't make sense, because they had to be loose in order for them to fall out. It went on for about 5 mins until the Service Manager got involved. He took 5 seconds to go look at the grill and said they would cover them. I'm awaiting for them to ship the inserts to me.

I went to the dealer, they explained to me that they wouldn't have removed the grill pieces while fixing the A/C. Then said that they can replace them for $27. I told them if they didn't do it then they must have fell out and should be covered under warranty. The service guy then said well it would be only warrantied if they were loose. I told him that doesn't make sense, because they had to be loose in order for them to fall out. It went on for about 5 mins until the Service Manager got involved. He took 5 seconds to go look at the grill and said they would cover them. I'm awaiting for them to ship the inserts to me.

This sounds like a new Monty Python sketch.(lol2)

Jonno21

I noticed the same missing pieces a week ago. I have no doubt that I had them before and that they removed/stolen. Why those pieces are removable is beyond me but I am really annoyed. Been looking on-line to find replacement parts but don't even know what they are called. Another design flaw by Mazda!

I noticed the same missing pieces a week ago. I have no doubt that I had them before and that they removed/stolen. Why those pieces are removable is beyond me but I am really annoyed. Been looking on-line to find replacement parts but don't even know what they are called. Another design flaw by Mazda!

They are blanking pieces where the front parking sensors would be if you had them in your market.

Last edited:
parking sensors

looks like there are two versions to cover those cutouts, one is just a plastic blank and another type is the actual sensors... depending on your market area and whether you purchased the parking sensor option, either way it does look like those cutouts are meant to be covered. Also, OP: what is that plug connector sticking out of the grill in your photo ?

attachment.php

attachment.php

parking sensors.jpg
parking sensor2.jpg

Last edited:
Front Parking Sensors

looks like there are two versions to cover those cutouts, one is just a plastic blank and another type is the actual sensors... depending on your market area and whether you purchased the parking sensor option, either way it does look like those cutouts are meant to be covered. Also, OP: what is that plug connector sticking out of the grill in your photo ?

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 221732
View attachment 221733
Front parking sensors are located at front bumper as showed in the picture with two small rounded button-like sensors.

attachment.php

2016 Mazda CX-5 Owner's Manual_01.jpg

Back