Is it worth boosting?

:
2002.5 Mazdaspeed Protege5
Hi, I have a 02 Protege5 with 129,2XX miles on it. I have basic mods done to the motor. Megan Racing Catback, INSYS/Ebay short ram intake, and Manzo(M2 Performance) headers. I've been wanting to get a RWD vehicle for a while now and decided that i am not going to get one anytime soon. So the main point is, is the FS-DE really worth boosting with almost 130k miles on it? If im going to be keeping the car for a while, I might as well get the most out of it as I can and make it an even more fun car. Would boosting decrease the engine life if I run at around 6 or 7 psi?

Hi, I have a 02 Protege5 with 129,2XX miles on it. I have basic mods done to the motor. Megan Racing Catback, INSYS/Ebay short ram intake, and Manzo(M2 Performance) headers. I've been wanting to get a RWD vehicle for a while now and decided that i am not going to get one anytime soon. So the main point is, is the FS-DE really worth boosting with almost 130k miles on it? If im going to be keeping the car for a while, I might as well get the most out of it as I can and make it an even more fun car. Would boosting decrease the engine life if I run at around 6 or 7 psi?

for the amount of time, money and effort spent to boost it, in my opinion you would be better off saving your money for the RWD car or spending it on suspension mods if you haven't done any. 6-7 psi is tame and fairly reliable on stock internals, MSP's ran that stock and still would zzb.

Another option for power (more reliable IMO) would be a KL swap.

for the amount of time, money and effort spent to boost it, in my opinion you would be better off saving your money for the RWD car or spending it on suspension mods if you haven't done any. 6-7 psi is tame and fairly reliable on stock internals, MSP's ran that stock and still would zzb.

Another option for power (more reliable IMO) would be a KL swap.

Thanks for your input. It was either between a full coilover setup or boost. I wasnt sure which I wanted to go with. Im not going to be doing any swaps. Seems like to much work. Guess im going to be asking santa for a full suspension upgrade this christmas

Good choice to go with the suspension. And if Santa brings it that leaves more money to buy a RWD toy. :)

Msp's blew up due to a bad stock tune. Stock motor is perfectly fine at 200-220 whp with a good tune, and as long as it's not beat on constantly. As much as I find the fsde a worthless piece of scrap metal I still defend it against people who don't know what they're talking about

I wouldn't go over the 200 mark because then you hit traction issues with an open diff and it just looses fun unless you want to roast a set of tires off. But a slow rwd car is still way more fun than fast fwd

Msp's blew up due to a bad stock tune. Stock motor is perfectly fine at 200-220 whp with a good tune, and as long as it's not beat on constantly. As much as I find the fsde a worthless piece of scrap metal I still defend it against people who don't know what they're talking about

I wouldn't go over the 200 mark because then you hit traction issues with an open diff and it just looses fun unless you want to roast a set of tires off. But a slow rwd car is still way more fun than fast fwd
a tune won't the flawed design that causes oil starvation.

for the cost to PROPERLY boost the Protg, it's not worth it. You're better off leaving it NA.....I'd look for a older BMW rwd, or whatever floats your boat

Wasn't there just an almost complete msp setup on the protege parts Facebook page for around $500?

You'll sink a pretty penny into the Protg....just ask anyone on the forum who's done it the RIGHT way...Notice I said the RIGHT way! There's 2 ways to build it, PROPERLY, or HALF ASSED.....Pick one lol

Thanks for all the replies guys. Im going to go with the coilovers instead of boosting. Seems like way to much work and money to do it correctly. I mean, I have cut springs right now and I no longer want to be doing things the cheap or incorrect way so I want to at least get my suspension done correctly. I have already been looked down upon because of the cut springs and I dont like the feeling so yeah.

Last edited:
Back