2003 mp5 overhaul

garyhibdon

:
2003 p5
Please allow me to start by saying, you will call me an idiot, and yes i AM a glutton for punishment.

Now that that is through, about 4 months ago my wife was driving our 03 mp5 n/a a/t around doing whatever women do, and she called me saying that it was making funny noise and acting wierd so i told her to just baby it home and I'd deal with it later. Long story short that funny noise was it burning the entire bottom end up. Crank ran dry and burnt the bearings. so the car sat there for a while so we could decide what to do because we're still making payments on it and this is the second time this has happened. Short version is the dealership screwed around with us about that car for so long when it went in for a service that i threw the words lawsuit around a bit and they fixed what they messed up and now here we are. Lovely fix, right? In either case I happened across a 1999 mazda protege dx with a 1.6 m/t for $350 that ran and drove, it was just totalled (they rear-ended someone) so i commenced the converting everything over. rebuilt the engine, cleaned the trans and swapped all necessary parts (to include wiring harness ecu etc) Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on something I'm forgetting, as i know i have, and wanted to post that it has been done and the benefits are worth it. just finishing upat this point

p.s. pay attention when posting. i didnt. the question here is what are the wire colors for the neutral safety switch so i can re run them

Last edited:
ok so i sat down and compared the wiring harness' and realized that the fs harness has an extra internal plug that the zm did not, so im wiring that in. in the next few days i will post pictures and i have a couple short videos that arent of any use really, but they do show that its a direct bolt in, so long as you keep the mounts from the zm. Everything has lined up very easily and this is a VERY viable transition that I have every intention of documenting for future use should anyone else decide to give this a go.

/e still looking for the wiring schematic if anyone has access

Last edited:
Ok so a couple hours of re-running wires and still havent gotten anywhere. Is there seriously not any gurus with info sittin around?

and yes i have tried google and elsewhere, to no avail.

i have the full pin-out diagram from all-data, will post applicable wire(s) later today once i get the jumbled up mess straightened out.

Ok so new update. A list of allrequired parts.

zm engine
matching trans
clutch pedal assembly
clutch master and slave w/ lines
zm wire harness and ecu
half shaft from zm (passenger side)
new drivers c.v
drivers, rear and trans mounts
A/C pump (zm)
power steering pump brackets (and prospectively the hard line(?) will get back on that one)
starter and alternator wire section

As i remember more that's required I"ll update this thread. More then anything else the point of this thread is to point out the reasons you would WANT to do this swap, the required materials, wiring schematics and other such required tinfo.

First off, I thought this a reasonable and not-very-difficult swap because the engine and trans bolt in without much-a-do about it, though the position isn't exactly the same. Doing this, you loose 15Hp (sourced from wiki) and (atleast in my case) close to 600 lbs. My engine hoist and back will attest for those weights. For some reason the fs w/ auto is darn close to twice the weight of the zm w/ 5 spd.

Now I'm not saying there isnt a fair share of difficulties doing this, but since when is easy fun, thusly people modify cars, because I'm sure we've all learned that the best mods to cars ALWAYS take an honest amount of labor and troubleshooting. You will not need any specific alternator, as the '99 zm and 03 fs use the same alt, though the mounting will differentiate between the two ( the zm mount is built into the head and the fs is a bolt on)

As far as the A/C goes, the belt "drive" line wont line up if you keep the fs pump and clutch and bolt it to the zm (wish i had caught that sooner as my donor car along with IT'S A/C is long gone, but i will investigate into this, as i believe it possible to use the zm A/C clutch on the fs pump (will get back to that soon as possible)

You will need the half shaft that bolts to the engine on passenger side and a new c.v for drivers side because the fs and zm bubs use the same spline count and size (same with outside of the half shaft) but the zm trans uses a similar sized 24 spline. As i get more of the wiring working 100% I will keep updating this thread.

If any of you have done this swap(or a similar one) please let me know.

Last edited:
Very cool, I havent seen this one before. You'll have lots of fun with that wiring. Now I don't know how much the auto weighs, but I dont think you would be losing 600 lbs. Maybe you would if you didnt put anything back in.

I like this build. My brother's protege has a 1.6 and ive always thought this swap would be great for a DD due to the lighter weight and the decrease in engine thirstyness (< scientific term). Keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back