Chris_Top_Her Build Thread 2

Chris, do you have a tutorial on how to remove front and back Mazda emblem? I'd like to plastic dip mine too.

No. There may be something already on the forum though. The front is just plastic clips so you need something to pry and the rear is adhesive.

You have an awesome car, but if you're going to 'use' it on the public road, drifting, etc, you are an asshole. Most of the time I have my 2 year old daughter in the back of my car and encountering you 'drifting' on the road would not be my idea of fun.

Go to a track.

Seriously... that's not drifting and in reality there was nothing dangerous about that. I don't disagree that I would not like it if it were done 'close' to my vehicle with a young child in it. If you prefer the only time some experiences the limits of their car is in an emergency situation that's leaving the outcome up to chance. But I also don't disagree with taking it to the track for true spirited driving/racing for fun and perfecting skills. I instruct high performance driving and highly advocate against "street racing" and work hard to get kids to a drag strip, road course or an autocross. But I also race sports cars on track and I will say that anyone like my racing buddies who know how to handle a car at the limits just about never have issues on the street.

Got my Crystal Eye LED's. Was going to wait to install them but I wanted them on now. I'm debating if I want to dip the bottom reflector, or I may just put some tint over it, which I got cheap on ebay. The lights have been wired into the third brake light, otherwise they won't brighten when you touch the brake. Very simple to install, the brake line was just an issue of wiring tapping, not much unlike installing dual horns (pre 2016). Only tools needed are a 10mm socket and a flathead for prying. Also at the same time the Whiteline sway bar brackets came, and the camber gauge now I'm just waiting on the coilovers to come in the mail.

FzFNwl9.jpg

uztGTMn.jpg

S5mZPbx.jpg

wIa1RWX.jpg

YpKKxK0.jpg

Hey man, love what you've done with CX-5. I got similar taillights off E-bay for a great deal, but the connection for the reverse lights was not long enough to reach, so I had to return it. Where did you get yours from and does it pass Texas Inspection with no problems? Was always told that the rear lights have to have a red reflector? Thanks in advance.

CYvmOvo.jpg

AWpDeZq.jpg

Hey man, love what you've done with CX-5. I got similar taillights off E-bay for a great deal, but the connection for the reverse lights was not long enough to reach, so I had to return it. Where did you get yours from and does it pass Texas Inspection with no problems? Was always told that the rear lights have to have a red reflector? Thanks in advance.

CYvmOvo.jpg

AWpDeZq.jpg

Those were ordered from Japan.. but I ended up replacing them with a Taiwan knockoff when I messed one of the lenses up. Red on the side. Never had an issue with inspection

Installed Corksport poly trans mount. Entirety from a performance interest, but turns out the oem was starting to rip.
Did not notice any increase in vibration over what I already have.
Turn in grip is better with less weight shift, and acceleration particular at WOT or wot shift feels more planted.

50529084_10161255710355487_1905062877631348736_o.jpg

50465258_10161255726600487_7893216366021312512_o.jpg

Installed Ultra Racing 4 Point rear lower arm bar. Long time coming, had been running the 2 point rear bar since about 2014. But the AWD 4 point bar to compliment it came out in late 2017/2018
58606361_10161610445730487_9024180417263042560_o.jpg

Installed New rear LED taillights from Japans. They have sequential (selectable) blinker.

I almost blew up one of the modules. Like most aftermarket LED lights, they use an extra power wire to trigger the extra bright when applying the brake. I tried to use my old wiring from the last set, which was tapped into the third brake light. They used an identical connector clip. Well the power was not enough or something, and while testing, I accidentally connected the power wire (the wires are female on both sides, and identical) main brake light into the power wire leading from the 3rd brake light "+power---><----+power" while I had on a brick on the brake to see if it would light. Smelled burning and no more brake light increase on the right side :s. Hours later I realized the lead inside the connector had got hot enough to melt into (very lucky at first I thought it popped) the plastic.. cleaned it off and out and back in business. Last thing I want after $500 spent. the black lead on the right was the covered in melted plastic preventing contact. These lights use power from the main brake light directly to the inside taillight, which I had to fish a wire into the hatch (which I was trying to avoid being lazy).

gHJeN2B.jpg

eXH8rzA.jpg

Last edited:
Man those look proper. The housing looks like it sort of sticks out further too.

I had an idea long time ago, which I think it is a good one, to have sequential brake lights as well. More pressure you apply to the pedal, more Leds would turn on. The min and max limits Leds would be on all the time.

The new CX30 has LED flashers. I*m confident they will appear on the next CX5 revision. Whether they will be the travelling ones is a different story.

Back