Chris_Top_Her Build Thread 2

That's unfortunate. Just curious how come you didn't go with a WRX or Forester XT since the get go? Or some other turbo charged vehicle?

wrx (really any sedan) internal volume is too small for my use and the forester has a truck like profile (also it's not that great looking). It's not in the same league of handling and available suspension mods either. Crosstreck is not bad looking, but it also only comes with a 2.po0p that's even slower than the cx-5 2.p0op (reason I traded my 2013) and a CVT in the high trim. CX-5 with stock monster truck height and stock pizza cutters also has a higher skidpad holding as well.. .81 awd according to C&D. I'm lowered by at least 3 inches, wider wheel/tire, and stiffer spring, struts and sway bar and suspension mounting so my skid pad is higher even.

Last edited:
Oil level was too low, spun bearing. What i thought was adequate from the dip stick apparently was not. Same at the dealer who marked my oil level as good when I was having my tensioner replaced (check yours). I should have the motor on order Monday or Tuesday. I can see why so many people talk about overfilled oil from the dealer, it can be a sketchy read with the lightweight oil; better safe than sorry. Even after draining oil the dips tick comes out with confusing results. The stick itself sits next to the balance out of a little shaft right by the oil pump and chain. It's always gonna get oiled.

Can you please clarify or provide additional details about the oil level ?

Where was the oil level showing on the dip stick that made it look ok but actually low? Was it on the lower, middle or top end of the “Normal” area level ?

You got me worrying a little bit. I just did an oil change myself (Mazda Oil and Filter) and I tried to measure approximately how much I drained from the pan plus filter to fill the same amount back maybe slightly more as needed. I checked the dip stick and with the car stationary for a little while the oil level is at the "full line" on the dip stick.

Can you please clarify or provide additional details about the oil level ?

Where was the oil level showing on the dip stick that made it look ok but actually low? Was it on the lower, middle or top end of the “Normal” area level ?

You got me worrying a little bit. I just did an oil change myself (Mazda Oil and Filter) and I tried to measure approximately how much I drained from the pan plus filter to fill the same amount back maybe slightly more as needed. I checked the dip stick and with the car stationary for a little while the oil level is at the "full line" on the dip stick.

Consistently up to the top dot tbh I wasn't sure if I was overfilling it myself

That is a bit scary since you know the mechanics of your car so well. And the Mazda Tech also read an OK oil level. The dipstick is definitely hard to read due to oil smears.

How come, you are getting a new engine? They have recognized, their mistake?

Last edited:
How come, you are getting a new engine? They have recognized, there mistake?
Since the bottom end repair didn't work, the crankshaft is probably out of spec and any further repair aside from tearing the whole engine down is pretty much a liability. I'm getting a 1000mi engine now replacing my 53000mi.

Since the bottom end repair didn't work, the crankshaft is probably out of spec and any further repair aside from tearing the whole engine down is pretty much a liability. I'm getting a 1000mi engine now replacing my 53000mi.

So, I take it that you were unsuccessful in convincing them to just slip a 2.5T from a CX-9 in there?

Hey sir!! I just wanted to tell you that your CX-5 is clean and nicely modded (w/o yelling it over the road noise. It clean even though it was dirty from the trip). The pics don't do it justice. Keep up the good work sir!

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Hey sir!! I just wanted to tell you that your CX-5 is clean and nicely modded (w/o yelling it over the road noise. It clean even though it was dirty from the trip). The pics don't do it justice. Keep up the good work sir!

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Heh, hey thank you. Quite a surprise 1000mi away from home!

You have an awesome car, but if you're going to 'use' it on the public road, drifting, etc, you are an asshole. Most of the time I have my 2 year old daughter in the back of my car and encountering you 'drifting' on the road would not be my idea of fun.

Go to a track.

You have an awesome car, but if you're going to 'use' it on the public road, drifting, etc, you are an asshole. Most of the time I have my 2 year old daughter in the back of my car and encountering you 'drifting' on the road would not be my idea of fun.

Go to a track.
that small drift was barely anything as far as drifting goes and 100% controlled. Unlike most drivers who are pretty much along for the ride (especially when something abnormal happens), I actually know the limits of my vehicle, and how to recover from an abnormal maneuver, and am always ahead of my car and anticipating the action/inaction of those around me. I did the opposite of what you see on a daily occurrence: people taking the same vehicles they drive daily and for years around a corner to quickly and going into the outside of the lane and braking to try and fix it. Or can't even stay in their lane at a multi lane intersection (I actually was hit like this in may due to a lady trying to take her unnecessary pickup truck straight on an inside turn only lane, then failing to control her car at a last second attempt to turn). They understeer outside because they still don't know the limit or how to control their vehicle within it's limits, and all I did was purposely oversteer my car a tad because I know and can control it throughout its limits. Away from obstacles/traffic and at a slow speed

Go to a track.

I'm an asshole. Noted.

that small drift was barely anything as far as drifting goes and 100% controlled. Unlike most drivers who are pretty much along for the ride (especially when something abnormal happens), I actually know the limits of my vehicle, and how to recover from an abnormal maneuver, and am always ahead of my car and anticipating the action/inaction of those around me. I did the opposite of what you see on a daily occurrence: people taking the same vehicles they drive daily and for years around a corner to quickly and going into the outside of the lane and braking to try and fix it. Or can't even stay in their lane at a multi lane intersection (I actually was hit like this in may due to a lady trying to take her unnecessary pickup truck straight on an inside turn only lane, then failing to control her car at a last second attempt to turn). They understeer outside because they still don't know the limit or how to control their vehicle within it's limits, and all I did was purposely oversteer my car a tad because I know and can control it throughout its limits. Away from obstacles/traffic and at a slow speed
(rolleyes)(rolleyes)

Go to a track.

Honestly, from watching the video, I did not think it was not much of a drift but more just an example of the sound, which sounded nice!

That said, everyone says they are in control, until they are not...

New car, new build thread - Sep 20 2014

Last updated 1/28/2018
Motor/Drivetrain
- China Vacuum Manifold
- Corksport Short Ram Intake
- Corksport Axle Back Exhaust
- DieHard AGM Battery (replaced overpriced Optima -Yellow top which failed after 3 years, cost less and better specs)
- MIT Hood Struts
- OVT Tuning 93 Octane

Suspension/Wheels
- Auto EXE Adjustable end links
- Auto EXE Lug Nuts
- Auto EXE outer Tie Rods
- BC Type BR Coilovers
- Corksport Rear Sway Bar
- Hardrace Forged adjustable rear camber arm
- Hotchkiss Heavy Duty Sway Bar Brackets (Rear)
- James Barone Racing Front Sway Bar
- James Barone Racing Heavy Duty sway bar brackets (front)
- James Barone Racing Oil Catch Can
- James Barone Racing Polyurethane Rear Motor (transmission) Mount 70 Duro
- Racing Beat adjustable front endlinks (Mazda3 BM)
- Ultra Racing Strut Tower Brace
- Ultra Racing 4 Point Front Lower Arm Bar
- Ultra Racing 2 Point Rear Lower Arm Bar (Only part of the 2 piece rear set that fits the AWD)
- XXR 527 20" x 8.5" w/Toyo Proxes ST II, 20/255/40

Exterior/Lighting
- 5000k LED DRL and LED Fog Lights
- 6000k HIDS
- Admiration Top and Middle Spoiler (Sold)
- Autoexe Spoiler
- Corksport License plate relocater kit
- Corksport LED Room lighting kit
- Curt Hitch #C13127
- Glowshift Oil Pressure gauge
- Glowshift Vacuum/Boost Gauge
- Hella Twin Super Tones
- OEM Hood Visor
- OEM Roof Rails, Painted Black (Silver Default)
- Taiwan Crystal Eye Taillight copies (red reflector) replacing the JDM Crystal Eye Fiber LED Taillights "Black" after one got damaged (clear reflector)
- Taiwan Dual Array LED rear Fog Light Smoke/Black

Interior/Misc
- Aftermarket Amp/Sub (in addition to OEM Bose)
- DAMD Leather Armrest Cover

IDHWWYt.jpg

RaLEozN.jpg

kuINSVg.jpg

5ptFObq.jpg

(sold)
QkL4QIB.jpg

NrkRwJs.jpg

QRXughP.jpg

DSuv9Y2.jpg

What's the China vacuum manifold?

A block with vacuum ports. Right now it just has a manifold pressure gauge on it.

Chris, do you have a tutorial on how to remove front and back Mazda emblem? I'd like to plastic dip mine too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back