Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: High Mileage CX-5s - report in

Registered Member

2011 M3 Touring / 2014 CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    Learn a little soldering and basic electronics knowledge and save a lot of money :-)

I fixed my hot tub last year... let's see $800+ spa pack replacement or $20 relay.
    I'm glad to hear I should expect not to have tranny problems on my '14!

I try to fix everything I can... but a $20 anti-knock sensor can still require major disassembly beyond my resources to access. On my most-recent debacle (Maxima) I replaced coil towers, MAF, oxygen sensors twice, alternator, starter, transmission solenoids, electronic motor mounts. Power seats were locked in position and the windows and mirrors were iffy at best. I was planning a suspension rebuild when the IACV blew taking the ECU with it (terrible design: FET drivers on the ECU with no protection in them) at 140K. A replacement ECU guaranteed to work with my VIN was $2000 (junk yard replacements are iffy gambles for a variety of reasons). The motor and transmission were perfect, it was clean and otherwise solid. I'm sure this would have been a fun car even at 200K if it weren't for that ECU.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddywh2 View Post
    I'm glad to hear I should expect not to have tranny problems on my '14!

I try to fix everything I can... but a $20 anti-knock sensor can still require major disassembly beyond my resources to access. On my most-recent debacle (Maxima) I replaced coil towers, MAF, oxygen sensors twice, alternator, starter, transmission solenoids, electronic motor mounts. Power seats were locked in position and the windows and mirrors were iffy at best. I was planning a suspension rebuild when the IACV blew taking the ECU with it (terrible design: FET drivers on the ECU with no protection in them) at 140K. A replacement ECU guaranteed to work with my VIN was $2000 (junk yard replacements are iffy gambles for a variety of reasons). The motor and transmission were perfect, it was clean and otherwise solid. I'm sure this would have been a fun car even at 200K if it weren't for that ECU.
    That IACV was a problem area on the '00-'01 Maxima's. My CX-5 replaced a '02 Maxima GLE I bought new.... other than eating pads and rotors every 20K miles, one oxygen sensor and one cam position sensor it was quite reliable. I lucked out that mine wasn't one of the VQ35DE oil burners. IMO..the VQ30DE in your car was mechanically a solid motor.
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 48K Miles / '07 Infiniti G35x / '12 Lexus GX 460 / '00 Wrangler TJ 4.0L

Registered Member

2011 M3 Touring / 2014 CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    That IACV was a problem area on the '00-'01 Maxima's. My CX-5 replaced a '02 Maxima GLE I bought new.... other than eating pads and rotors every 20K miles, one oxygen sensor and one cam position sensor it was quite reliable. I lucked out that mine wasn't one of the VQ35DE oil burners. IMO..the VQ30DE in your car was mechanically a solid motor.
    It needed a sway bar in back and a FSTB in front to make handling even approach the quality of the engine, but once done I really enjoyed driving that Maxima. I come from a day when it was not unexpected to put a can of oil in at every gas fill-up so I'd not have considered dumping a car just for burning a little oil. The whole point is that automotive mechanicals are, generally, very solid these days: it's the electronics that drive me crazy and end up making me junk it. Very sad and unnecessary if mfr's just put half as much effort into spec'ing solid designs for electricals and/or locating things that require replacement in easier to reach locations.

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 FWD Auto Touring

2013 Mazda CX-5 62,000 mile check-in

2013 2wd Touring, 2.0l automatic, purchased June of 2012. As of 12/2015 have 62,000.

Repaired: Shaking side view mirrors both fixed under service bulletin (problem on earliest model).

Replaced: Engine air filter at 40,000 - solved slight hesitation from stop: $12
    Replaced: Yoko tires with Michelins from CostCo at 60,000 (snow coming here, in desert could've gone another 10,000 miles): $600
    Replaced: Windshield wipers at about 50,000: $22 Amazon

Of course: Oil changes (self-done) every 6-7,000 miles: $25 Mobil 1 oil @Wal plus $6 eBay Mazda filter in bulk

Gas mileage (measured in full tanks):
    Suburban summer 29-31 mpg - very consistent
    Pure highway summer 33-35 mpg at 60-75mph (loaded with gear and bikes on back)
    Suburban winter 27-30 mpg - very dependent on temperature, lowest ever was 26 mpg when near zero Fahrenheit

Upgrades:
    When new: Mazda rear cargo shade, works excellent
    When new: Mazda remote start, terrible design, waste of $400
    When new: Tech package, love blind spot warning beeps and adaptive headlights. Navigation works, though with design faults and slow.
    Added back-floor cargo net with 4 hooks (originally for a Chrysler): $7 delivered eBay
    Added 3M clear door edge tape to hood, 4 doors, and rear lift: $25 for 2 rolls Amazon

Wear:
    Door arm rests showed wear within 2,000 miles, understand they changed them for 2014. A damp wipe helps.
    Back lift where bike rack rubs and where garage door closed while lift was up. oops. $12 eBay touch-up paint.
    Some pitting on front plastic bumper from stones, touch-up paint.
    Not a single rattle, very very little wind noise
    Other than stone dings paint looks like new, self-wash monthly and self-wax twice a year.

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD 2.0L

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyBrian View Post
    2013 2wd Touring, 2.0l automatic, purchased June of 2012. As of 12/2015 have 62,000.

Repaired: Shaking side view mirrors both fixed under service bulletin (problem on earliest model).

Replaced: Engine air filter at 40,000 - solved slight hesitation from stop: $12
    Replaced: Yoko tires with Michelins from CostCo at 60,000 (snow coming here, in desert could've gone another 10,000 miles): $600
    Replaced: Windshield wipers at about 50,000: $22 Amazon

Of course: Oil changes (self-done) every 6-7,000 miles: $25 Mobil 1 oil @Wal plus $6 eBay Mazda filter in bulk

Gas mileage (measured in full tanks):
    Suburban summer 29-31 mpg - very consistent
    Pure highway summer 33-35 mpg at 60-75mph (loaded with gear and bikes on back)
    Suburban winter 27-30 mpg - very dependent on temperature, lowest ever was 26 mpg when near zero Fahrenheit

Upgrades:
    When new: Mazda rear cargo shade, works excellent
    When new: Mazda remote start, terrible design, waste of $400
    When new: Tech package, love blind spot warning beeps and adaptive headlights. Navigation works, though with design faults and slow.
    Added back-floor cargo net with 4 hooks (originally for a Chrysler): $7 delivered eBay
    Added 3M clear door edge tape to hood, 4 doors, and rear lift: $25 for 2 rolls Amazon

Wear:
    Door arm rests showed wear within 2,000 miles, understand they changed them for 2014. A damp wipe helps.
    Back lift where bike rack rubs and where garage door closed while lift was up. oops. $12 eBay touch-up paint.
    Some pitting on front plastic bumper from stones, touch-up paint.
    Not a single rattle, very very little wind noise
    Other than stone dings paint looks like new, self-wash monthly and self-wax twice a year.
    Thanks for checking in! It's rare for people to spend the time reporting no unexpected problems. Mostly we hear from people who have a gripe!

2014 CX-5 FWD Touring auto and 2012 Mazda 5 Sport

Here's another with no problems at 53,000 miles on a 2014 FWD Touring CX5.

Upgrades include:
    Second Skin Damplifer to all 5 doors and floor pan from front seats to hatch.
    Audio Controls DQ-61, and upgraded speakers with amps + JL Audio W3V3 8" micro sub. 460 continuous watts of clean power, 920 peak.
    Weather Tech floor mats and cargo liner.
    Clear bra hood protector.
    Custom made door ding protectors.
    Everything else Mazda got right.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by V8toilet View Post
    Here's another with no problems at 53,000 miles on a 2014 FWD Touring CX5.

Upgrades include:
    Second Skin Damplifer to all 5 doors and floor pan from front seats to hatch.
    Audio Controls DQ-61, and upgraded speakers with amps + JL Audio W3V3 8" micro sub. 460 continuous watts of clean power, 920 peak.
    Weather Tech floor mats and cargo liner.
    Clear bra hood protector.
    Custom made door ding protectors.
    Everything else Mazda got right.
    Hey V8, was the Second Skin Damplifer hard to install and does it have a chemical smell to it?

Registered Member

CX5 Sport MT

I'm at 86,000 miles. Purchased Spring 2012. Anybody hit 100k yet?

The only problem I've had is the manual transmission blew up this past October. I don't know if it was a bad syncro caused by the few hard mis-shifts or not. It was out of warranty and I was in the middle of a business trip and didn't have time to figure it out.

Other than that, rear brakes, tires and oil is all that it has needed. I'm still averaging 30mpg with cargo boxes and bike rack all the time.

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by rjdee View Post
    I'm at 86,000 miles. Purchased Spring 2012. Anybody hit 100k yet?

The only problem I've had is the manual transmission blew up this past October. I don't know if it was a bad syncro caused by the few hard mis-shifts or not.
    ouch! what blew up in there? how bad was the repair?

Registered Member

CX5 Sport MT

Quote Originally Posted by piotrek91 View Post
    ouch! what blew up in there? how bad was the repair?
    As noted, I don't know the actual cause. It was replaced with a one from a wreck. Same warranty as a factory rebuilt one for $1000 less and actually available. The transmission had been making whining noises that got gradually louder and I knew I needed to get it checked. Came off the highway after a 3 hour drive and it sounded like there was gravel when it was in gear. BAD! It could've been a bearing but significant metal came out when the oil was drained.

Clutch was still in good shape, throwout bearing felt sloppy though.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Any new high mileage updates?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

86k miles on my 2013 sport with manual. No major problems at all and only a couple minor ones. I have a tpms light on, but that came on after I had aftermarket springs and wheels put on. It's most likely just a bad connection, but I've never tried to fix it. I have the driver side mirror shake, but it's minor enough that I don't even notice it most days. The fairly weak windshield is the biggest problem I've had.
    Fuelly

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 GT AWD 2014

checking in after 3 CX-5 and a total of 97000KM
    Nothing major!
    First one 2013 GS:
    - Minor mirror vibration TSB
    - Minor hood shaking TSB
    - Dripping stain running down the door from side mirror (rusted bolt) --> cannot remember if a TSB exist for that
    - Oil leak from transfert case --> cannot remember if it was a TSB or mechanic that spot the problem.
    - Foggy rear camera (humidity problem) TSB

Second 2014 GT w/tech fully loaded
    - PCM Recall
    - Foggy rear camera (humidity problem) TSB
    - Oil leak from transfert case - Mechanic report the problem. anyone saw a TSB for that?
    - Rear Breaks gone at 30000KM

Third 2016 GT w/tech fully loaded
    - nothing so far!

Cons:
    - Very thin paint, get whole car front protection if you can afford it (at least front bumper and hood)
    - Windshield easily blasted by winter road abrasive (tailgating or not make no difference)

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 2.0(A)

Great read! Gained more from here, tx

Registered Member

2014 CX 5 GT

At the 3 year mark (took delivery 4/2/13) I have 145,000 miles on my 2014 Grand Touring.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast