Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: High Mileage CX-5s - report in

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD Stormy Blue Mica

Quote Originally Posted by speedbegone View Post
    I suppose battery life will also be affected by the lenght and regularity of drives.

Short /less frequent driving should result in shorter battery life, as opposed to frequent long drives that charge the battery everytime.
    Not necessarily. Most of the 51,000 of mine are highway and the OE battery only lasted 2.5 years. Cells go bad regardless of frequent charges. You are right though in most cases.
    1990 Toyota Celica - Sold (why o why)
    2000 Ford Ranger - Traded (thank god)
    2007 Honda Element - Traded (kinda miss u)
    2010 Honda Fit - Traded (kinda miss u too)
    2013 Mazda CX-5 Stormy Blue Touring FWD

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 AWD 2.0L

2013 Certified Pre Owned with 40k miles (I have put on about 10k miles)

1 oil change (local mechanic with mobil 1 syn)
    New tires came with purchase - Yokohama tires. Wear / winter - wet traction has been tremendous. Very comfortable ride with low noise.
    Door locking mechanism was making clunk sound and replaced under warranty
    Brakes felt spongy at time of purchase so dealer resurfaced them free of charge
    P0302 cylinder misfire - turned out to be a bad ignition coil. Dealer replaced free of charge.

Other than bad ignition coil - everything has been tight. Not so much concerned about coil as I could understand that part becoming faulty based on a number of factors. Just luck of the draw in terms of the manufacturing processes these days.

2014 CX-5 FWD Touring auto and 2012 Mazda 5 Sport

I'm at 49,300 miles now with no problems but of course this is not considered high mileage by any means. I still have the original Yokohama tires, which I plan to change before the winter. I now drive a company pickup truck (new 2014 F-150) with the new job so I wont be piling on the mileage on my Mazda anymore. The tires are getting noisy, the fuel mileage is the same, and everything is still tight. I sat in a 2016 GT and noticed the greatly improved updated interior over mine. After spending some time in that GT my 2014 Touring's interior felt worn and cheap by comparison. Driving my 2014 Mazda Touring home though made me forget the basic 2014 interior rather quickly because the engine felt strong and the handling was still tight, just like a well behaved sporty sedan.

Registered Member

2014 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring with Tech Package

I own the 2014 Grand Touring with the 2.5l engine and have approximately 43000 miles on the odometer. I had to change the factory tires at 20000 miles. I drive 95% highway miles and the premature wear of the tires could be because of the gravel based roads in east Texas. I currently have the "BSM off" warning light flashing on the dash board. The vehicle is out of warranty and I understand that it is an expensive fix for the "BSM" problem. I am going to disconnect the battery, if this fixes the problem I plan on trading it in for another brand vehicle. This is my first Mazda and I haven't been happy with it. Good luck everyone.

Registered Member

Red 2016 CX-5 GT Teck Isense

If you drive a lot on secondary roads be sure to wash and mud/dirt off the inside and outside of the lower panels behind the rear wheels which is where the radar units are that "see" cars in your blind spots. I just ordered replacements for my 2013 GT with over 50,000 miles as the wear bars are showing but most of my miles are interstate miles at 70-75 mph.

Registered Member IHeartGroceries's Avatar

Mazdaspeed6

Not really high mileage yet, at 48K, but FWIW, very early 2013 m/y build. 3 1/4 years ownership. Zero unplanned dealer visits. No monies spent beyond regular maintenance. No significant issues to speak of.

New Ride - 2013 Ford Taurus SHO, 402A & Perf. Pkg., S4 93 Oct Livernois tuned, weekend warrior
    2013 CX-5 Touring w/ Tech, wife's car
    1972 Chevrolet C-10 Custom 350/350, work horse
    2002 Dodge Neon SXT, commuter
    1967 Buick Skylark - 300/300, cruiser

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD 2.0L

I've owned my 2013 CX-5 three years in September and I only have 24,000 miles on it with less than 4,000 in the last 6 months! But this is partly attributable to the weather in the PNW (Washington State) being so suitable to motorcycle riding over the last couple of years. My CX-5 will often sit a week or more at a time. People have opined that sitting around like that is a recipe for unreliability (compared to a daily driver) but she (CX-5) doesn't seem to mind (or even get jealous when I ride by and leave her sitting in the driveway). It's been especially warm this spring/early summer (it didn't even rain on the fourth of July which is what we expect). Feels more like Mexico than Canada. It's rare to see residential air conditioners but I think that's going to be changing.

No repairs to report, CX-5 still runs like a Swiss watch. Very cheap to own.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by GAXIBM View Post
    If you drive a lot on secondary roads be sure to wash and mud/dirt off the inside and outside of the lower panels behind the rear wheels which is where the radar units are that "see" cars in your blind spots. I just ordered replacements for my 2013 GT with over 50,000 miles as the wear bars are showing but most of my miles are interstate miles at 70-75 mph.
    Thanks GAXIBM, I will give it a good wash underneath and see what happens.

Registered Member

Red 2016 CX-5 GT Teck Isense

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkycsi View Post
    I currently have the "BSM off" warning light flashing on the dash board. .
    Are you sure that the BSM is on? Maybe the switch on lower left was bumped and the system is telling you that you turned it off for safety reasons.

Registered Member

I have pressed and pressed and held the "BSM OFF" switch with negative results. I am thinking it the problem is with one of the sensors. However, I did switch to 17 inch rims and tires and that may make a difference due to height change. I will take it to the local dealership and see what they say. Thanks again GAXIBM for the response. Take care.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Any new higher mileage updates? I am by no means a high miler but this is the most I have ever put on a new car in a year.
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 50K Miles - https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/ (30% off "shipping" with code "MAZDAS247")

Registered Member

2013 CX5 touring awd

I'm at just over 58,000 primarily highway miles on my 2013 CX5 touring AWD, not a single mechanical issue to date.
    2009 MGM MS3 GT
    Daily driver/autocross toy

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

34K miles on my 2015 currently. Tires I got rid of at 28K miles. They were dry-rotted and done. Had to replace a rear fender-arch where concrete took it half off and bent it. Total cost including parts was around $150ish I think. I forget. It wasn't bad. Otherwise, solid.

Registered Member

2011 M3 Touring / 2014 CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkycsi View Post
    I own the 2014 Grand Touring with the 2.5l engine and have approximately 43000 miles on the odometer. I had to change the factory tires at 20000 miles. I drive 95% highway miles and the premature wear of the tires could be because of the gravel based roads in east Texas. I currently have the "BSM off" warning light flashing on the dash board. The vehicle is out of warranty and I understand that it is an expensive fix for the "BSM" problem. I am going to disconnect the battery, if this fixes the problem I plan on trading it in for another brand vehicle. This is my first Mazda and I haven't been happy with it. Good luck everyone.
    I was hoping to find someone with 150K plus but that would mean around 50K per annum and it seems to be typical that there are not many truly high miler CX-5 owners. But this does demonstrate one of my fears: the biggest problem with modern vehicles isn't the traditional basic things, e.g., engine/transmission mechanicals, but "technology" and electricals. The problems I've been reading about with CX5 with transmissions seems to mainly involve something with the computer or solenoids.

All of my most recent vehicles I've had to trade were electrical/electronic problems that just became to oppressively expensive to continuously track down and fix. Sensors, motors, relays, solenoids, coil towers, ECU's and etc, have been the things that send me back to the dealer showrooms at about 130-150K miles / 11-13 years old.

As newer vehicles are even more technology-packed than ever (to make CAFE and EPA regulations and to make people think they've added value for the super high prices that requires) I tend to think things will be just like they used to be in the hey-day of Detroit: you drive the car with some things broken. Or trade it every two to three years when lights start flashing at you.

Oh well..
    Last edited by Buddywh2; 09-09-2015 at 10:20 AM.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddywh2 View Post
    I was hoping to find someone with 150K plus but that would mean around 50K per annum and it seems to be typical that there are not many truly high miler CX-5 owners. But this does demonstrate one of my fears: the biggest problem with modern vehicles isn't the traditional basic things, e.g., engine/transmission mechanicals, but "technology" and electricals. The problems I've been reading about with CX5 with transmissions seems to mainly involve something with the computer or solenoids.

All of my most recent vehicles I've had to trade were electrical/electronic problems that just became to oppressively expensive to continuously track down and fix. Sensors, motors, relays, solenoids, coil towers, ECU's and etc, have been the things that send me back to the dealer showrooms at about 130-150K miles / 11-13 years old.

It seems the small number of transmission issues are confined to the earlier years (I think it was mainly the '13s). There is a TSB IIRC. Will we hear of an occasional issue with one here? Sure.. that will be true with any vehicle & forum. I too share concern for the electronics but in future years if my BSM stops working I'm not going to sweat it. The fixes are bound to be cheaper and write-ups more prevalent on how to fix. The car will still run without it.

I honestly don't expect any vehicle these days to achieve 150K+ miles without some form of electronics failure in it's lifetime. Perhaps a less optioned model is a safer bet for long term owners?

Capacitors seem to be our worst enemy... although I just fixed my old Sony XBR HDTV with a couple IC chips that cost me $20. Cheap fix but I know not many resort to that these days...

Learn a little soldering and basic electronics knowledge and save a lot of money :-)

I fixed my hot tub last year... let's see $800+ spa pack replacement or $20 relay.
    Last edited by Kedis82ZE8; 09-09-2015 at 10:38 AM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast