Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: High Mileage CX-5s - report in

2106 CX5 2.2D AWD MT 175PS, Tech pack, Sunroof, full LED

What tires did you go for? 17" or 19". Mine are near the limit, I could get another summer out them next year but I might change them just to get something better, was planning on eith Nokian HT SUV, Toyo CF1 SUV or Kuhmo Road Venture KL51 in 17".
    Last edited by Dr_Watson; 11-25-2014 at 03:24 PM.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

You did not have any mirror vibration?(mine is at the dealer now)
    New tires made the car quieter?

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD 2.0L

I only have 20,000 miles on mine in over 2 years, partly because I also ride motorcycles.

But I have beat it up pretty good on steep, rocky mountain forest service roads and driven it hard on twisty pavement and it just keeps running like a finely tuned Swiss watch.

I'm very impressed.

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring

52,300 miles on my 13' 2.0L.Dont do too much highway driving and when I do its for short intervals, so I'm not expecting the best fuel economy. In some instances I am getting 16mpg in city driving (under 10mph) and a lot of stop and go traffic. I live in NYC and I haven't really taken this car out for a really long trip because I bought it with 50,000 miles on it. Overall no problems what so ever, the drive quality correlates with what many people are saying, a little wind noise and exhaust note. Just make sure once you get to these mileage intervals that you inspect the battery's voltage. The cheap Japanese stock didn't last too long, no problem with the alternator, just a cheap battery.

Quote Originally Posted by arnolj25 View Post
    Just make sure once you get to these mileage intervals that you inspect the battery's voltage. The cheap Japanese stock didn't last too long, no problem with the alternator, just a cheap battery.
    Cheap Japanese battery? Japanese manufacturers make some of the best batteries in the world. If yours died prematurely it's likely due to the previous owner having let it drain to zero too many times, not a poor quality battery.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $15

2013 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech (Mar'12-Jul'14)

Cheap Japanese battery? The Japanese battery in my Lexus IS is nearly 8 years old, no prob.

The battery in my previous Ford Explorer (which was same model year as Lexus) lasted 4 years, pos.

I wonder if Mazda will move away from traditional lead/acid batteries to drop weight on future Skyactiv vehicles. New battery technology makes it possible to reduce battery weight by at least 75% while maintaining the same performance. But this requires a charging system designed to suit.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2014 CX-5 FWD Touring auto and 2012 Mazda 5 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM. View Post
    I wonder if Mazda will move away from traditional lead/acid batteries to drop weight on future Skyactiv vehicles. New battery technology makes it possible to reduce battery weight by at least 75% while maintaining the same performance. But this requires a charging system designed to suit.
    Can you tell us why the charging system would need to be different? I'd like to know!

Thanks

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    I wonder if Mazda is thinking about the 48 volt leap as well?

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2014...d-hybrids.html
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 50K Miles - https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/ (30% off "shipping" with code "MAZDAS247")

Quote Originally Posted by V8toilet View Post
    Can you tell us why the charging system would need to be different? I'd like to know!

Thanks

Because different battery chemistries require different charging profiles for optimum life and performance.

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 GT FWD, 2015 Mazda 3 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by CX-SV View Post
    Cheap Japanese battery? The Japanese battery in my Lexus IS is nearly 8 years old, no prob.

The battery in my previous Ford Explorer (which was same model year as Lexus) lasted 4 years, pos.

I change mine every 3 years. Battery life has a lot to do with environmental conditions. Hot weather is punishing and mine spend their days outdoors in long Texas summers. I know folks who have had batteries last 7 years in these conditions, but thats the exception instead of the norm. Better to change it early rather than be suddenly stranded.

Registered Member

Mazda, CX-5 GT 2014

I've been using a dash cam recorder to keep recording during parked until certain voltage is reached. After a year, I disabled that standby feature because I think it's killing the battery. I measured about 12.15V (no load) after a day sitting in a 60F garage while my brand new MINI Hardtop with AGM battery measures 12.35V after couple days.

Registered Member

Red 2016 CX-5 GT Teck Isense

Look at the instructions for the first 3 charge cycles for the iPhone 6 in the users guide on the Verizon site. To condition the new battery you should run it completely dead the first 3 times and then recharge it fully. Completely discharging a lead acid is the fastest way to kill it.

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD Stormy Blue Mica

Purchased 2013 Touring in May of 2012. 52,000 miles now. Original Panasonic battery died and replaced a couple of months ago. The TSB for the driver mirror shake was done and TSB for front seat snaps done. Replaced OE tires at 45,000 with Michelin Energy Saver A/S. Oil changed every 6,000 miles. 3 engine and cabin air filters replaced. Added several bottles of washer fluid. So far so good.
    Last edited by plemieux; 03-18-2015 at 10:33 PM.
    1990 Toyota Celica - Sold (why o why)
    2000 Ford Ranger - Traded (thank god)
    2007 Honda Element - Traded (kinda miss u)
    2010 Honda Fit - Traded (kinda miss u too)
    2013 Mazda CX-5 Stormy Blue Touring FWD

2014 mazda CX5 GT liquid silver

I suppose battery life will also be affected by the lenght and regularity of drives.

Short /less frequent driving should result in shorter battery life, as opposed to frequent long drives that charge the battery everytime.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast