High Mileage CX-5s - report in

My protege turned over 200,000 the other day and I'm starting to look for another car- My dream is to pick up a cx-5, drive down to Florida, and become Florida man. Bein' Florida man is easy; gettin' the cx-5 is what I'm working on now.
Scattered around Ohio I see every now and then a ridiculously high miles 2013 or 2014... we're talkin' 180,000 miles. Does anyone have any kind of experience with that many miles? Obviously someone does since a few of them exist for sale... but the sale posts don't describe the owners history. They look pretty clean and my experience with other mazdas makes me confident I'm not gambling too much here... what do you think?

My protege turned over 200,000 the other day and I'm starting to look for another car- My dream is to pick up a cx-5, drive down to Florida, and become Florida man. Bein' Florida man is easy; gettin' the cx-5 is what I'm working on now.
Scattered around Ohio I see every now and then a ridiculously high miles 2013 or 2014... we're talkin' 180,000 miles. Does anyone have any kind of experience with that many miles? Obviously someone does since a few of them exist for sale... but the sale posts don't describe the owners history. They look pretty clean and my experience with other mazdas makes me confident I'm not gambling too much here... what do you think?

Dont buy one with that high mileage...

How many times did you change the transmission fluid? Is it an automatic?

Yep- It's an automatic. We changed the transmission fluid once at around 130,000 when we bought the car- no issues since. It's going through oil a little faster now though... I've attributed that to a leaky valve cover gasket and probably bad camshaft seals.

Purchased my wife's 2013 Touring on March 10, 2012. So, about to hit 6 years ownership. It's not exactly high mileage, but as I recall, sitting right around 82K miles. Never been back to the dealership after I purchased it and the only maintenance it has seen is tires and LOF. Best car I've ever owned. No issues currently to speak of, but I'm getting set to perform a comprehensive brake job. I'll inherit this vehicle soon and buy something else for my wife. Expecting child # 2 in September and my Mazda 3 won't cut it with two kids.

Purchased my wife's 2013 Touring on March 10, 2012. So, about to hit 6 years ownership. It's not exactly high mileage, but as I recall, sitting right around 82K miles. Never been back to the dealership after I purchased it and the only maintenance it has seen is tires and LOF. Best car I've ever owned. No issues currently to speak of, but I'm getting set to perform a comprehensive brake job. I'll inherit this vehicle soon and buy something else for my wife. Expecting child # 2 in September and my Mazda 3 won't cut it with two kids.

Lmao @ your name.

What sort of brake maintenance do you plan on doing? Are you going to lube the caliper sliding pins and do a caliper service?

XPo1obb.jpg

Don’t buy one with that high mileage...

too late... picked it up a couple days ago.
2014 cx-5 GT awd with 185,000. It's pretty clean and everything feels just as good as our other mazdas so we decided to go for it. I figure it's nice enough where if it randomly crapped out I could at least live in it... the heated seats will prevent me from freezing to death in times of hardship.

too late... picked it up a couple days ago.
2014 cx-5 GT awd with 185,000. It's pretty clean and everything feels just as good as our other mazdas so we decided to go for it. I figure it's nice enough where if it randomly crapped out I could at least live in it... the heated seats will prevent me from freezing to death in times of hardship.

Dear lord, good luck with that one. Engine doesnt concern me, the transmission does. Change your transmission fluid if you notice any funky or rough shifting when the gearbox is cold.

Are you eating a sandwich in your avatar pic? LOL

Yea.... that was early on close to when I got my protege. I was excited about the 2.0ES badge... and I was also hungry.

Right now the trans feels just as good as our 100000 mile 3 and 5 and much better than my 200000 mile protege- a fluid change is in the back of my mind though. I'm planning on changing the diff/transfer case fluids at some point as well.

Hey... it's still ridin' on the OE shocks as well and they feel pretty good. After replacing the shocks in our 3 and 5 at sub 100000 I was surprised the cx-5 still had the OE stuff... and I tried to low ball the guy because of it.

Yea.... that was early on close to when I got my protege. I was excited about the 2.0ES badge... and I was also hungry.

Right now the trans feels just as good as our 100000 mile 3 and 5 and much better than my 200000 mile protege- a fluid change is in the back of my mind though. I'm planning on changing the diff/transfer case fluids at some point as well.

Hey... it's still ridin' on the OE shocks as well and they feel pretty good. After replacing the shocks in our 3 and 5 at sub 100000 I was surprised the cx-5 still had the OE stuff... and I tried to low ball the guy because of it.

Yeah diff/transfer case fluid change is next on my list. Still debating the transmission fluid change. Some people are telling me do it now (62k miles. Heard from others saying 75k miles). Who know.

Anyway, awesome to see some high mileage Mazdas! (thumb)

Lets see some pictures.
You might now have the highest mileage CX-5 here congrats!

how much did you pay?

Mine just rolled over 73,000 today. new spark plugs for me soon.

Last edited:
I have a 2016.5 that I bought last April, so, 11 months ago, and I've put all but six of the 25,700 miles on it.

At the rate I'm going, I'll have a four-year-old CX-5 with 100k on it, soon.

Lets see some pictures.
You might now have the highest mileage CX-5 here congrats!

how much did you pay?

Mine just rolled over 73,000 today. new spark plugs for me soon.

Hold off on the congratulations until I actually drive the thing around a little bit ;) Someone else did the driving; I just picked it up because I could only afford one with a hilarious amount of miles on it.

I bought the car from a buy-here-pay-here for $7999 after taxes and other fees. Dude that ran the lot claimed he paid $7300 for it. Some other data from other cx-5's I was checkin' out... There's a few others with close to this many miles on it scattered around Ohio- 2 are at a new car dealership for $10k and $11k. One with slightly over 100,000 miles was posted by a private party for $8800. Those are all GT's with all wheel drive... there were a couple sports posted for $75xx-$9xxx with just over 100,000 miles but the all wheel drive is what I wanted a cx-5 for... so no sports.

28577897_1996554873707284_8923438371057932009_n.jpg

not a lot to look at... just a car. Nice and clean and I love driving it. I'll miss peeling around turns in my protege and seeing people snap their heads over to see wtf is going on when they hear my tires squealing though.
28577017_1996554800373958_4703234636662907300_n.jpg

Hey Everyone - I'm really excited as I just purchased a 2014 GT from a local Mazda dealer. It has 74K on it, and it's a CPO. The carfax shows it was purchased at the same dealer and has 19 Dealer service records showing all the oil changes on schedule...usually between 4,000 and a few as long as 7,000 miles apart. To offer it as a Certified pre owned they replaced the battery, replaced the back brake pads, resurfaced the rotors front and back (but front pads still had 8mm on them), did an oil change, cabin filter, rotated and balanced the tires, replaced all wipers and did the recall on the liftgate. The carfax shows the brake fluid was flushed at about 40,000 miles. I think I got a really good deal on it, and it's covered with CPO warranty to 100,000 miles.

Here is my concern. I started looking around this forum and see the info on transmission failure on certain models manufactured before a certain VIN number. Sure enough mine falls in to this category. I don't see that it's ever had the transmission fluid replaced. I took the vehicle for two long test drives and it shifted fine, with no noises or grinding. Still, I'm a little worried that the issue may crop up. Yes, I'm covered by a warranty for another 25k miles but still not sure if I should have the fluid replaced now or "missed the window".

Any advice or thoughts from this forum would be very much appreciated. Should I try to work with the dealership about this known "issue" now, or hope it crops up while still under warranty?

I'm hoping to keep this cx5 for a long time, and service it regularly.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies. My first Mazda...and I'm hoping to become a loyal fan.

Generally if the tranny is going to fail it's usually earlier. Not this late. As your car has been immaculately taken care of this far, I'd stop worrying and continue enjoying.

Hey Everyone - I'm really excited as I just purchased a 2014 GT from a local Mazda dealer. It has 74K on it, and it's a CPO. The carfax shows it was purchased at the same dealer and has 19 Dealer service records showing all the oil changes on schedule...usually between 4,000 and a few as long as 7,000 miles apart. To offer it as a Certified pre owned they replaced the battery, replaced the back brake pads, resurfaced the rotors front and back (but front pads still had 8mm on them), did an oil change, cabin filter, rotated and balanced the tires, replaced all wipers and did the recall on the liftgate. The carfax shows the brake fluid was flushed at about 40,000 miles. I think I got a really good deal on it, and it's covered with CPO warranty to 100,000 miles.

Here is my concern. I started looking around this forum and see the info on transmission failure on certain models manufactured before a certain VIN number. Sure enough mine falls in to this category. I don't see that it's ever had the transmission fluid replaced. I took the vehicle for two long test drives and it shifted fine, with no noises or grinding. Still, I'm a little worried that the issue may crop up. Yes, I'm covered by a warranty for another 25k miles but still not sure if I should have the fluid replaced now or "missed the window".

Any advice or thoughts from this forum would be very much appreciated. Should I try to work with the dealership about this known "issue" now, or hope it crops up while still under warranty?

I'm hoping to keep this cx5 for a long time, and service it regularly.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies. My first Mazda...and I'm hoping to become a loyal fan.

The failures are rare. Consider that its pretty common for people to come and complain on a forum when something like that happens. Yet there have been very few. On other car forums where such problems are widespread it will be a dominant topic with hundreds of pages of posts. Enjoy your car.

Hold off on the congratulations until I actually drive the thing around a little bit ;) Someone else did the driving; I just picked it up because I could only afford one with a hilarious amount of miles on it.

I bought the car from a buy-here-pay-here for $7999 after taxes and other fees. Dude that ran the lot claimed he paid $7300 for it. Some other data from other cx-5's I was checkin' out... There's a few others with close to this many miles on it scattered around Ohio- 2 are at a new car dealership for $10k and $11k. One with slightly over 100,000 miles was posted by a private party for $8800. Those are all GT's with all wheel drive... there were a couple sports posted for $75xx-$9xxx with just over 100,000 miles but the all wheel drive is what I wanted a cx-5 for... so no sports.

not a lot to look at... just a car. Nice and clean and I love driving it. I'll miss peeling around turns in my protege and seeing people snap their heads over to see wtf is going on when they hear my tires squealing though.

Dude you did a great deal ;-) nice looking car at a nice mileage! Please report how it's doing after some time.

Back