High Mileage CX-5s - report in

So, I am close to 50K miles on my 2014 GT and I have had my first thing go on me. My rear wiper just stopped dead, sticking straight up. Will go to the dealer next week and see what it is. Otherwise, knock on wood, I have been lucky!

This coming Thursday, July 7th will be the 2-year old mark for my 2015 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD. Currently just shy of 63K miles and going strong! Recall on the filler pipe was done a couple of months ago. Other than the recall, no other issues to date. I drive at least 120 miles roundtrip to work and back nearly every weekday. Great, reliable vehicle. I would definitely trade it in for another one when I reach the 100K mile mark.

Last edited:
Hi,
I would also like to ask to owners with high mileage, other than the regular maintenance, what items did you replace? (water pump?, Fuel Filter?, Transmission solenoid? Engine mount? etc.) Please let us know if these are replaced at what mileage.

Bump on highlighted. Haven't seen any CX-5 require maintenance on these parts (a good thing). Early 2000 BMWs were notorious for water pumps that didn't last long. Pre-Skyactiv Mazda3's had bad engine mounts that leaked under 50k miles.

2015 AWD here, bought certified in Dec 2015 at 20,000 km, now approaching 43,000km mostly highway (Hamilton-Toronto commuter :( )

So far haven't done anything to it, runs fine. Taking it in next week for the filler pipe fix and drivers mirror fix. Question I have is, do I need anything more than an oil change now? The 40k scheduled service includes oil change, brake pad clean and inspection, caliper clean and lube, tire rotation, general inspection (or so they say). Also, as I haven't changed the oil for 23,000 km, do i need to do an engine flush?

Last edited:
2015 AWD here, bought certified in Dec 2015 at 20,000 km, now approaching 43,000km mostly highway (Hamilton-Toronto commuter :( )

So far haven't done anything to it, runs fine. Taking it in next week for the filler pipe fix and drivers mirror fix. Question I have is, do I need anything more than an oil change now? The 40k scheduled service includes oil change, brake pad clean and inspection, caliper clean and lube, tire rotation, general inspection (or so they say). Also, as I haven't changed the oil for 23,000 km, do i need to do an engine flush?

You've probably lost any chances of having any engine issues covered under warranty as Mazda says every 4 months or 8k Kms whatever comes first during the warranty period for oil changes in Canada. And yes 23k Kms without an oil change is high regardless if it's highway miles. I would get a flush done and change that oil more often.

Just bought a 2014 Touring 2.5L this week with 53K miles. Being that it was manufactured in January 2013, I'm not sure if 53K would be considered high miles or not.

High mileage is my Integra, currently north of 355,000 miles. :)

Hi! New to the forums. Was originally browsing for some information regarding the highest mileage anyone has attained for a CX-5 out of curiosity. Really happy to see other people reach 150K with no serious issues!

Anyways, i guess ill chime in to keep this thread updated.

Currently have a 2013 CX-5 2WD touring at 74K miles. So far the only real issue that i've encountered was i had to have the battery replaced (3 year old). Other than that, the cig lighter isn't spitting out any juice (could be simply a fuse) but ill have it looked at once i get it in for its 75K check-up.

I’m coming up on the 60k mile mark soon. It certainly hasn’t been the most problem-free vehicle I’ve ever owned having had to have the trans replaced at 32k miles (first vehicle I’ve EVER had trans trouble with), but the Mazda dealer made it a fairly trouble free incident to their credit. Rear brakes were replaced at 32k, also. Had the engine belt tensioner replaced a few months ago, and now it looks like the tie-rod ball joints will have to be replaced because he seals are starting to crack, tack on another wheel alignment this year after they are replaced! Still getting good mileage- average 30 mpg combined, I think it actually dropped after the trans replacement, used to be higher or maybe it’s just that it’s getting older. The engine is still in remarkably good shape, runs great, no knocking or pinging no matter what I put in it and what little oil consumption I was having virtually stopped since using Pennzoil Platinum. I really like this vehicle and would buy another one. It’s a joy to drive, roomy and comfortable.

My wife doesn't drive hers enough to really rack up the miles. So, sitting at 4.5 years ownership, and just about to roll over 65K miles.
Never been back to the dealer after I purchased it, save for the first LOF service. Not to say that it doesn't need a visit - has an active recall or two and the infotainment firmware I'm sure is long antiquated. But, no issues. No known deficiencies. Does need a new set of brakes, which I will do myself here before too long, when I find the time. Sure does chew through those rears.

Great vehicle. Paid it off a year and a half ago or so. I hope to keep it several more years...
May keep it forever. Lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Almost at 71K miles now and 27 months of ownership since I bought it brand new! Still going strong as my daily commuter with a 120-mile roundtrip to work and back. Can't complain!

Approaching 60k miles on my 14 Touring AWD. Haven't had a single issue. I bought it in Feb of 2014 as a CPO with 9900 miles and it's been completely trouble free so for. My daily commute is about 40 miles round trip and a combination of city & highway driving.

Over 87K miles here on the 2013 Mazda CX-5 and yes: "0" (Zero) issues. The only thing that I've changed myself was the "cheap" Panasonic stock battery that the car came with - I've put a more proper battery for the Canadians -40 Celsius winters. Otherwise, just regular maintenance with the best fluids existing on the market (not the junk that the dealership is using to make money on us), brake pads, tires and a lot of Zoom Zoom everyday to keep the gum out and feel the Skyactiv engine after 3000 rpm's . The car proved to me that is a reliable car and I would say that is one of the most reliable car I've owned (this is my first Mazda and for sure, not the last one). Just check for yourself one of the last consumer reports published on the web and count how many "Made in Japan" cars are in the "Most Reliable" and "Reliable" sections on the report:

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-reliability/car-brands-reliability-how-they-stack-up/

4 year report in, got in Dec 2012, base model 6 speed manual
67,000 miles
Original tires lasted 40k with h&r springs
Averaged 32mpg
Just oil changes etc nothing major, will flush brake and tranny fluids soon
No squeaks or rattles, original brakes

Any other questions please ask

55K. Got it at 27.8K. It's a 2015 2.5L Touring

-Replaced piece of wheel-well trim secondary to impact from large chunk of concrete on the highway. Yay Houston.
-Replaced rear-differential secondary to it flooding and the selenoid going out (I was crossing a stream 9-12" deep when it happened. Considering the Honda Pilot and my Grand Jeep Cherokee before had a fjord rating of 19-22", respectively, I thought my CX-5 could handle a foot of water. I was wrong. Pretty butthurt about it still considering I've been through deeper water in the actual cars I've owned in the past. Lame.
-Currently on Windshield #3. The Mazda windshields suck and I recommend Safelite's house glass. It has taken some real abuse from rocks and so far not even a crack or a "star", just some chips. My Mazda windshields last maybe 2-3 months at the most, few days at the least. I hate Japanese glass. My Infiniti and 370Z were the same way. NONE of my American cars have ever needed a new windshield due to debris impact, and they have taken rocks far larger than my imports have. Stuff that made me duck because I saw it coming from 150+ feet away slung up by 18 wheeler's.

Last edited:
There's really no mileage penalty with the 2.5, so why order the 2.0?

My driving is mostly highway and per Mazda the 2.0 is almost 10% better highway mileage. The 2.5 has enough moving mass to require a balance shaft which adds another engine chain drive, more inertia, more weight, more cost. My 2.0 is silky smooth, can hardly tell it is running at idle... see

have you actually driven the 2.5L and got a couple opportunities to throughly test the two engines in traffic? for an extremely reserved driver who cares about only MPG, yes the 2L will be slightly more effcient. but as soon as you begin to do even somewhat-spirited driving, the 2L's fuel economy goes down the drain. the 2.5L engine is well suited to the mazda 6 sedan and just barely sufficient for the CX-5 in the real world with traffic, where you are not always coasting for best MPG.

it's either 185 ft/lb of torque at 3250RPM or 150 at 4000RPM. I'd much rather take more torque at a lower RPM, thank you very much. not needing to rev the piss out of your car is actually very fuel efficient. the car is getting 28MPG in city driving right now which is outstanding and the large displacement engine pulls throughout the rev range beautifully. with superior throttle response and I lovely, deep bassy engine note. for those who want some sort of power to pass people in the city and enjoy driving, the 2.5L is a necessity for both performance and efficiency. I have been in 2L mazda 3's getting worse fuel economy then my larger displacement and heavier 6 sedan because it's just not enough power for some drivers.

Who cares if the 2.5L has balancing shafts? it's a damn smooth and refined motor and has been proven to get BETTER efficiency due to the effortless lazy torque at 3000RPM. never in my life would I buy the 2L, especially not in the significantly heavier CX-5.

Last edited:
I own a 2016GT with 30,000 miles in addition to putting 40,000 on my 2.0 2013 GT so I am familiar with both engines. I do not find that spirited driving in the 2.0 sent the fuel economy down the drain. Same driver same conditions the 2.0 is 10% more efficient but the 2.5 is 20% more powerful/quicker. I do a lot of highway cruising so that is where the 2.0 shines. Your 2.0 Mazda 3 that gets bad mileage is likely not direct injected (skyactive).

I own a 2016GT with 30,000 miles in addition to putting 40,000 on my 2.0 2013 GT so I am familiar with both engines. I do not find that spirited driving in the 2.0 sent the fuel economy down the drain. Same driver same conditions the 2.0 is 10% more efficient but the 2.5 is 20% more powerful/quicker. I do a lot of highway cruising so that is where the 2.0 shines. Your 2.0 Mazda 3 that gets bad mileage is likely not direct injected (skyactive).

It was a friends 2L, and it was one of the newer models with skyactiv tech. The average fuel economy was worse then what the heavier 2.5L 6 was seeing so Im skeptical.

If you drive just as fast with the 2L compared to the 2.5, I bet you would achieve the same if not slightly better fuel economy with the 2.5L because you just dont have to rev it as hard to access all the torque. For economic cruising on the highway Im sure the 2L is a bit better, but the 2.5 still gets excellent MPG all around. You did say that the larger engine is 20% more powerful with only 10% penalty in efficiency, so if you make proper use of the torque Im sure you can squeeze 10% fuel savings from the larger engine due to the better torque delivery. For passing people on the highway its either you drop a gear or two to get to 3000RPM or practically full throttle and downshifting to 4000RPM in the smaller engine.

On top of this, I think that the 2.5L is already a little down on power for the Heavier CX-5 so I just cant imagine how the 2L would feel and perform. I doubt it will be getting better MPG if youre constantly revving it out to merge.

Plus, the sound, throttle response, power delivery and overall how the 2.5L engine revs is just plain sweet. Love that motor..

Last edited:
Another year report , 2013 cx5 85k on hr springs just replaced Oem struts with Koni SA rides much better

Replaced plugs still looks pretty good, flushed manual tranny with redline still shifting smoothly. No other issues. Still getting 31-32mpg, on 2nd set of tires
No oil consumption

Thinking about new car next year or when it hits 100k. But resale on 2012 manual is very low :(
So might drive it till it dies

2016 GT with 74K miles. No issues at all. I did just replace the front struts and rear shocks. The fronts actually had a little life left in them but the rear shocks were gone.

2016 GT with 74K miles. No issues at all. I did just replace the front struts and rear shocks. The fronts actually had a little life left in them but the rear shocks were gone.
What did you replace yours with?

Back