Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: High Mileage CX-5s - report in

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow High Mileage CX-5s - report in

Quote Originally Posted by dougal View Post
    At close to 140K miles on my 2014 CX5 and in need of new tires, rotors and pads. Big bill coming up. But honestly, this will be the first major thing.

I am not sure if it is me or what, but I go through lots of tires on this thing. This will technically be my 4th set of tires. The Toyo's (original), Duelers (2nd), Michelins (3rd) and whatever is next (looking to go cheap!).
    No, itís tires. Toyo A23、Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia、Michelin Premier LTXģ (I assume you use 225/55R19), those youíve been used / using all seem to have relatively lower treadwear rating on UTQG, or to be known for shorter tread life.

Try this Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V tire on your next set for $80+ each and itís recommended by Badgerbass after he tried.

Registered Member

Mazda CX5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Yes, thatís one of the symptoms.
    Thanks! Could you share the part number if you have it?

Registered Member

Mazda CX5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    If you havenít changed the ATF since new, if I were you I may have some hesitation to change (drain-and-fill) the ATF. If I decided to do it, I may consider taking the ATF pan down to replace the ATF filter cartridge inside.

For serpentine belt and water pump belt replacement, you may want to replace the tensioner even if itís not leaking.

You need 2 quarts of Mazda Long Life Hypoid Gear Oil SG1 as in addition to 0.45 quarts for front transfer case, the rear differential needs ~0.8 quarts instead of 0.45 quarts specified in ownerís manual.
    Thanks for the response.

I tried to ask the dealer about the ATF change and have the cartridge change as well. It would cost around 500+... man that is expensive. It was never changed since new.

For the belts. serpentine is around 44 and water pump belt is 20. but the labor of each is around 130.

Prices are in Canadian dollars.

Wondering if the oil change for the transfer and differential can be DYI.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefire_xl View Post
    Thanks! Could you share the part number if you have it?
    See post #295 just above your first post by ColoradoDriver. Do a search and thereís a ďHow-ToĒ write-up somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefire_xl View Post
    Thanks for the response.

I tried to ask the dealer about the ATF change and have the cartridge change as well. It would cost around 500+... man that is expensive. It was never changed since new.

For the belts. serpentine is around 44 and water pump belt is 20. but the labor of each is around 130.

Prices are in Canadian dollars.

Wondering if the oil change for the transfer and differential can be DYI.
    I thought your 2013 CX-5 GT has 110K miles, but it could be 110K km (68,351 miles) since youíre in Canada. If your CX-5 indeed has 68K+ miles, IMO you should do the ATF drain-and-fill without ATF filter cartridge change at this time. At 68K, belt change may be a bit too early depending on the belt condition. Belt tensioner is an item easy to leak, make sure to check or replace that.

If you change your oil by yourself, I believe you can do most of the fluid changes by yourself too with proper tools and good write-up found in this forum. ATF drain-and-fill should be the more difficult one because of the tight space to check the ATF level and ATF temperature needs to be known. Here are a couple of good write-ups for those fluid changes:

Rear Diff and Transfer Case Fluid Change: tools parts and links

ATF Drain/Fill

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Just hit 100K on our 2014 Touring. Replaced all 4 brake pads and rotors a couple months ago. Still need to do a trans drain and refill 3x. Haven't even looked at belts, should I be?

The tires I put on at around 54K are wearing down already. Probably only get another 10K out of them. Will definitely be looking at lighter weight tires this next time around.
    1994 Acura Integra GSR - 370K miles, a few mods
    2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring - 96K miles, the family hauler
    2000 Mazda Miata LS - 155K miles, the corner carving machine!

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

My serpentine belt on my 2013 looked a little worse for wear with less than 70k miles. Iíd replace that on your 2014. It was easy to do by removing the passenger wheel as well as the shroud within that wheel well.

The water pump belt was harder to replace but I found a nice zip tie trick. Do you have a 2 or 2.5 liter? I think only the 2.0 had a separate water pump belt. I can track down the pic of my zip tie trick if itís something youíre going to do on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Just hit 100K on our 2014 Touring. Replaced all 4 brake pads and rotors a couple months ago. Still need to do a trans drain and refill 3x. Haven't even looked at belts, should I be?

The tires I put on at around 54K are wearing down already. Probably only get another 10K out of them. Will definitely be looking at lighter weight tires this next time around.
    Yeah you definitely want to check your serpentine belt, and the tensioner. The second water pump belt usually lasts longer.

Iíd do the ATF drain-and-fill and filter cartridge replacement (definitely put the new one on the last if you do 3X) ASAP at 100K miles.

What kind of tires do you have which last about 46K miles?

Quote Originally Posted by ruthrj View Post
    My serpentine belt on my 2013 looked a little worse for wear with less than 70k miles. Iíd replace that on your 2014. It was easy to do by removing the passenger wheel as well as the shroud within that wheel well.

The water pump belt was harder to replace but I found a nice zip tie trick. Do you have a 2 or 2.5 liter? I think only the 2.0 had a separate water pump belt. I can track down the pic of my zip tie trick if itís something youíre going to do on your own.
    2.5L has the second water pump belt too, and a balance shaft which is not needed on 2.0L.

Didnít know we need to remove the RF wheel and shroud for belt replacement. Yes Iíd like to know the zip-tie trick for water pump belt without using a stretch belt removing tool.

Registered Member

Mazda CX5 GT

I see some very minimal cracks on the belt when I looked at it. Right now i am just tying to prioritized things to replace because of the expense.

I have a 2 liter. Would really appreciate if you share the pic.

Registered Member

Found it. Forgot I created a separate thread for it. Itís the first image attached to my post: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...t-zip-ties-FTW

Having the wheel and shroud off was pretty much a necessity for the water pump belt. Need to turn the crank to get it on the pulley. It made the routing the serpentine belt so much easier. Thereís not a whole lot of room to do that from above.

Found it. Forgot I created a separate thread for it. Itís the first image attached to my post: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...t-zip-ties-FTW

Having the wheel and shroud off was pretty much a necessity for the water pump belt. Need to turn the crank to get it on the pulley. It made the routing the serpentine belt so much easier. Thereís not a whole lot of room to do that from above.
    Nice write-up and would save me some cash getting a useless stretch belt installation tool for the water pump belt replacement.

Chris_Top_Her should move your write-up to ďHow-ToĒ section.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

2.5L here. What*s this about filter cartridge replacement?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

There is a filter for the transmission located within it. To replace it would require dropping the pan, popping out the old cartridge, installing a new cartridge, and reinstalling the pan. You have to apply a silicone gasket to the pan to reinstall.

Itís not called for in the owners manual nor is replacing the transmission fluid. Iíve done the transmission fluid but still not sure if Iíll bother with the filter. Itís probably more of a boulder catcher type material than a fine filter. Iíd be more interested in cleaning any sludge that might be present on the magnet in the pan, but of course that requires dropping the pan. Might as well replace the filter if youíve dropped the pan I suppose lol.

There is a filter for the transmission located within it. To replace it would require dropping the pan, popping out the old cartridge, installing a new cartridge, and reinstalling the pan. You have to apply a silicone gasket to the pan to reinstall.

Itís not called for in the owners manual nor is replacing the transmission fluid. Iíve done the transmission fluid but still not sure if Iíll bother with the filter. Itís probably more of a boulder catcher type material than a fine filter. Iíd be more interested in cleaning any sludge that might be present on the magnet in the pan, but of course that requires dropping the pan. Might as well replace the filter if youíve dropped the pan I suppose lol.
    +1

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021