Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: High Mileage CX-5s - report in

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Second day of being warranty free.. I feel like the motor overall will be reliable for me even with the really small TC cover leak. I think if anything goes it will be the AT or the rear diff if I experience a catastrophic failure. The front transfer seems to be fairly solid. At least Mazda made a lot of vehicles with the same drivetrain parts. Used parts on major components should be reasonable in cost.
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - 50K Miles - https://www.oemvehicleparts.com/ (30% off "shipping" with code "MAZDAS247")

CX-5 2016.5

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Do the old and the new shift the same?
    It's worse actually as she's still learning, but overall it's the same. Very "sticky" - 9 times of 10 it wouldn't downshift when I need it to, unless I really floor it - and then she goes down 2 gears at once with all the jerkiness involved. "Sport" mode is a hit and miss with me - it makes everything peppy-er, but unless you floor it all the time - there's also a tendency to stick and the engine brake is always on - which isn't always necessary. I'm also finding the new one a bit harsher - say when I'm shifting from P into R or D. My original one was smoother.

The gist of it - I'm so used to driving manuals that any "modern" AT optimised for fuel efficiency - annoys the hell of me. My wife's 2nd gen Mazda 3 AT with 2L!!!! shifts a lot better actually and is much more fun to drive. No Skyactive horse-rubbish... The way I see it - I either need to get something manual (and there isn't much out there with comparable back space) or something with a V6/8 - which will dampen the inherent idiocy of automatics.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    I never thought about it before but that is probably why AT temps stay in-line even when towing in the CX-5. In my experience AT's in locked up mode and lower gears don't really generate any heat in my experience. In my GX 460 on a grade un-locked you can watch temps climb but in lockup temps start to drop. I'm going to be towing my boat with CX-5 over local pass on Friday. I'm gonna pay attention again to AT temps under heavier load.

Quote Originally Posted by ruthrj View Post
    LOL. I watched a YouTube engineering video on the SkyActiv transmission somebody shared here. They engineered the transmission to have the torque converter locked as much as possible while driving. There is not much slipping at all when engaging or disengaging like a traditional transmission which allowed a small bump in efficiency.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Kedis82ZE8 View Post
    I never thought about it before but that is probably why AT temps stay in-line even when towing in the CX-5. In my experience AT's in locked up mode and lower gears don't really generate any heat in my experience. In my GX 460 on a grade un-locked you can watch temps climb but in lockup temps start to drop. I'm going to be towing my boat with CX-5 over local pass on Friday. I'm gonna pay attention again to AT temps under heavier load.
    This is part of why I kept saying the CX5 doesn't need a fluid change, and why used ATF analysis seems to prove me right every time, with the fluid showing similar wear as a conventional automatic with 300% less miles on it. I'm glad others are starting to dig into the actual mechanics of it a bit further, as well.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by alexeyga View Post
    It's worse actually as she's still learning, but overall it's the same. Very "sticky" - 9 times of 10 it wouldn't downshift when I need it to, unless I really floor it - and then she goes down 2 gears at once with all the jerkiness involved. "Sport" mode is a hit and miss with me - it makes everything peppy-er, but unless you floor it all the time - there's also a tendency to stick and the engine brake is always on - which isn't always necessary. I'm also finding the new one a bit harsher - say when I'm shifting from P into R or D. My original one was smoother.

The gist of it - I'm so used to driving manuals that any "modern" AT optimised for fuel efficiency - annoys the hell of me. My wife's 2nd gen Mazda 3 AT with 2L!!!! shifts a lot better actually and is much more fun to drive. No Skyactive horse-rubbish... The way I see it - I either need to get something manual (and there isn't much out there with comparable back space) or something with a V6/8 - which will dampen the inherent idiocy of automatics.
    Weird. Mine have both shifted great, and this is coming from a sports car background. Visiting a friend of mine right now who has a '19 STi, and he loves the auto in my CX5's shift logic.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

107k miles. So far so good.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda, CX-5 GT

113,000 miles on our 2016 CX-5 GT. Zero issues ever. Runs and shifts great.

Registered Member

2014 Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring, 2016 CX-3 FWD Grand Touring

Haven't posted on the forums in awhile. My 2014 CX-5 has 99,000 on it. Current plan is to drive it until something major happens or the Mazda 6 Wagon comes to the states (which may never happen).

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by sxa View Post
    Haven't posted on the forums in awhile. My 2014 CX-5 has 99,000 on it. Current plan is to drive it until something major happens or the Mazda 6 Wagon comes to the states (which may never happen).
    We're not far behind. Just over 96K on our 2014 also!
    1994 Acura Integra GSR - 370K miles, a few mods
    2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring - 96K miles, the family hauler
    2000 Mazda Miata LS - 155K miles, the corner carving machine!

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920