High Mileage CX-5s - report in

Buyer purposely wanted a GT awd with the 2.0L, she wanted the extra fuel efficiency (over the 2.5L extra power and higher purchase price).

I've noticed the 2.0L models selling with asking prices equal to or greater than newer models with 2.5L. I think it comes down to supply and demand.

Was your 2.0L hard to sell?

I've noticed the 2.0L models selling with asking prices equal to or greater than newer models with 2.5L. I think it comes down to supply and demand.

Was your 2.0L hard to sell?

Yes, all CX-5's in good condition in general have above average resale values contributing to a low cost of ownership (low depreciation).

I did not advertise my CX-5. Since I was using mostly the other 3 vehicles in my household in 2014, I let family members know I was considering selling it. 2 family members wanted to buy it, I sold it to first one interested because she needed it the most. Her Subie Outback stick shift was at 189K miles and nearly EOL. She has second home at Lake Tahoe and needed the AWD (to avoid chaining up when chain controls in effect). She also wanted all the GT tech pkg luxury amenities and safety features (including BSM, rear camera, etc.). She's a 100% happy camper after 2 months of ownership.

My guess is that most CX-5 owners (who do not frequent forums like this) are not particularly aware of the engine options. They just drive it and, if they like it, purchase. I'm not worried about resale on my 2.0. It has enough power for most folks, myself included.

My guess is that most CX-5 owners (who do not frequent forums like this) are not particularly aware of the engine options. They just drive it and, if they like it, purchase. I'm not worried about resale on my 2.0. It has enough power for most folks, myself included.

I agree. I didn't mean to imply that I thought the 2.0L would be difficult to sell. What I was trying to say was that the 2.0L appears to be in high demand judging by the prices for used CX-5's I've seen advertised on the Internet by various dealers. The 2013 2.0L models appear to be commanding selling prices at least equal to the prices for 2014 2.5L models when otherwise similarly equipped. Sometimes the 2.0L even has higher mileage than a similarly equipped 2014 2.5L model but has a higher asking price at the same dealer.

My take is that well equipped 2.0L models have demand that outstrips the relatively small supply.

Mine(2015 FWD-T) seems to have a little more driver's side mirror shake than I like, can Mazda Service Dept do anything about it?? Anything they can snug down or insulate to take out some of that vibration at highway speeds??

I've had mine since early June, approx 5,000 miles so far.

I have a 2013 Touring AWD, 28000 miles and haven't had any problems. Had the drivers side mirror fixed which was driving me crazy at plus 45mph. Now its rock solid. There is a TSB to fix the mirror shake. Should be covered under warranty. Look at the list of TSB's on this forum, it's in there. I mentioned it
to my dealer on a oil change and he looked it up, 2 weeks later fixed. Gotta also say so far my dealer has been great then again it's just been routine oil changes and the mirror. So far love'n the vehicle. Averaging around 30mpg overall.

Mine(2015 FWD-T) seems to have a little more driver's side mirror shake than I like, can Mazda Service Dept do anything about it?? Anything they can snug down or insulate to take out some of that vibration at highway speeds??

I've had mine since early June, approx 5,000 miles so far.

There is a TSB on the mirror and your dealer will order a brand ne mirror once they diagnosis or rather verify the shacking. Downside is there is a huge back order so I am still waiting for mine to come in.

Purchased early March, 2012, very early build.
Just rolled over 40K miles.
No issues to report. Never any dealer visits, other than for routine service, and no TSBs performed.
Put a new a set of tires on it about 3-4 thousand miles ago, and kissed the OE Yokos goodbye. Noisiest, roughest set of tires I've ever had the displeasure of riding on.

What tires did you go for? 17" or 19". Mine are near the limit, I could get another summer out them next year but I might change them just to get something better, was planning on eith Nokian HT SUV, Toyo CF1 SUV or Kuhmo Road Venture KL51 in 17".

Last edited:
You did not have any mirror vibration?(mine is at the dealer now)
New tires made the car quieter?

I only have 20,000 miles on mine in over 2 years, partly because I also ride motorcycles.

But I have beat it up pretty good on steep, rocky mountain forest service roads and driven it hard on twisty pavement and it just keeps running like a finely tuned Swiss watch.

I'm very impressed.

52,300 miles on my 13' 2.0L.Dont do too much highway driving and when I do its for short intervals, so I'm not expecting the best fuel economy. In some instances I am getting 16mpg in city driving (under 10mph) and a lot of stop and go traffic. I live in NYC and I haven't really taken this car out for a really long trip because I bought it with 50,000 miles on it. Overall no problems what so ever, the drive quality correlates with what many people are saying, a little wind noise and exhaust note. Just make sure once you get to these mileage intervals that you inspect the battery's voltage. The cheap Japanese stock didn't last too long, no problem with the alternator, just a cheap battery.

Just make sure once you get to these mileage intervals that you inspect the battery's voltage. The cheap Japanese stock didn't last too long, no problem with the alternator, just a cheap battery.

Cheap Japanese battery? Japanese manufacturers make some of the best batteries in the world. If yours died prematurely it's likely due to the previous owner having let it drain to zero too many times, not a poor quality battery.

Cheap Japanese battery? The Japanese battery in my Lexus IS is nearly 8 years old, no prob.

The battery in my previous Ford Explorer (which was same model year as Lexus) lasted 4 years, pos.

I wonder if Mazda will move away from traditional lead/acid batteries to drop weight on future Skyactiv vehicles. New battery technology makes it possible to reduce battery weight by at least 75% while maintaining the same performance. But this requires a charging system designed to suit.

I wonder if Mazda will move away from traditional lead/acid batteries to drop weight on future Skyactiv vehicles. New battery technology makes it possible to reduce battery weight by at least 75% while maintaining the same performance. But this requires a charging system designed to suit.

Can you tell us why the charging system would need to be different? I'd like to know!

Thanks

Can you tell us why the charging system would need to be different? I'd like to know!

Thanks

Because different battery chemistries require different charging profiles for optimum life and performance.

Cheap Japanese battery? The Japanese battery in my Lexus IS is nearly 8 years old, no prob.

The battery in my previous Ford Explorer (which was same model year as Lexus) lasted 4 years, pos.

I change mine every 3 years. Battery life has a lot to do with environmental conditions. Hot weather is punishing and mine spend their days outdoors in long Texas summers. I know folks who have had batteries last 7 years in these conditions, but thats the exception instead of the norm. Better to change it early rather than be suddenly stranded.

I've been using a dash cam recorder to keep recording during parked until certain voltage is reached. After a year, I disabled that standby feature because I think it's killing the battery. I measured about 12.15V (no load) after a day sitting in a 60F garage while my brand new MINI Hardtop with AGM battery measures 12.35V after couple days.

Look at the instructions for the first 3 charge cycles for the iPhone 6 in the users guide on the Verizon site. To condition the new battery you should run it completely dead the first 3 times and then recharge it fully. Completely discharging a lead acid is the fastest way to kill it.

Purchased 2013 Touring in May of 2012. 52,000 miles now. Original Panasonic battery died and replaced a couple of months ago. The TSB for the driver mirror shake was done and TSB for front seat snaps done. Replaced OE tires at 45,000 with Michelin Energy Saver A/S. Oil changed every 6,000 miles. 3 engine and cabin air filters replaced. Added several bottles of washer fluid. So far so good.

Last edited:
Back