High Mileage CX-5s - report in

We have been a Mazda advocate for years... well, since 2013 at least. We started with a 2012 Mazda 3, a Certified Pre-owned. We were so pleased with the Mazda 3 that when it came time to grow into a larger vehicle, we quickly jumped into the CX-5. We got a 2015 AWD in 2017 w about/34k mi on it. We were just informed that the transmission needs to be replaced (now at 91k mi) Estimated to be $6800. That is more than the trade-in value of the car. Not sure what else can be done, if anything, to get this car back on the road. I saw some posts about used transmissions. How does that usually work? I've never had a transmission problem to deal with before. Any tips, advise?

Update 1: Our service advisor told us (on the 12th) that he was going to see if Mazda would be able to help out with the repair. He mentioned he would become an advocate for us, or something to that effect. Last I heard (on the 16th) He has not heard back anything yet, but also said it was unusual to not hear back by now, as it has been 4 days now. He, seemed less enthusiastic about the possibility of receiving help.

Last edited:
Wow... that is an obscene amount you were quoted there. I would have thought it was an Audi auto for that price.

I'm gonna let others who have more experience obtaining engines and ATs chime in but fear not repair will be massively cheaper

ageless1: I would think you could get a used AT in the 40K mile range that is installed in the $1500-$2000 range.

Wow... that is an obscene amount you were quoted there. I would have thought it was an Audi auto for that price.

I'm gonna let others who have more experience obtaining engines and ATs chime in but fear not repair will be massively cheaper

My 2002 infiniti G20 (Basically a Spec V Sentra) transmission was $4500ish through the dealer in 2011.
I bought used and had it installed for $1K through a local shop and junk yard, lol. Lasted another 40K miles and was fine when I sold it.

Sucks to hear. What were the symptoms learning up to the tranny failure?

It started making a slight whine that would mostly disappear once warmed up. Got worse over the past month and then started slipping a day or so before bringing it to the dealer. Rewind a couple of years ago when we traded in our Mazda 3, for the CX5, I brought it in to the Mazda dealer and specifically asked for a Transmission Flush because It was fairly close to 50k and wanted to go ahead and get ahead of it. The service advisor told me not to worry about that because they were life-time fluids and did not have to do anything unless something happens to the transmission...

Thanks, but I believe repair is not possible, because there are no parts made available. Probably going to be a used swap.

ageless1: I would think you could get a used AT in the 40K mile range that is installed in the $1500-$2000 range.

I was given a ballpark figure of around $2k to install a used one. I've seen them on e-bay for quite a wide range. Any advise on how to choose which one?

We have been a Mazda advocate for years... well, since 2013 at least. We started with a 2012 Mazda 3, a Certified Pre-owned. We were so pleased with the Mazda 3 that when it came time to grow into a larger vehicle, we quickly jumped into the CX-5. We got a 2015 AWD in 2017 w about/34k mi on it. We were just informed that the transmission needs to be replaced (now at 91k mi) Estimated to be $6800. That is more than the trade-in value of the car. Not sure what else can be done, if anything, to get this car back on the road. I saw some posts about used transmissions. How does that usually work? I've never had a transmission problem to deal with before. Any tips, advise?

Update 1: Our service advisor told us (on the 12th) that he was going to see if Mazda would be able to help out with the repair. He mentioned he would become an advocate for us, or something to that effect. Last I heard (on the 16th) He has not heard back anything yet, but also said it was unusual to not hear back by now, as it has been 4 days now. He, seemed less enthusiastic about the possibility of receiving help.

Update 2: It has been 15 days since we dropped off. I had to call my service advisor yesterday, only to learn that no determination on what the problem is and no decision on if Mazda is going to help has been made.

Update 3: Mazda offered to split the cost of replacing the transmission at cost (remanufactured, I believe). Still going to cost us upwards of $2400. Better than $6k. Happy to be getting it fixed, still think they could have done better.

Last edited:
It started making a slight whine that would mostly disappear once warmed up. Got worse over the past month and then started slipping a day or so before bringing it to the dealer. Rewind a couple of years ago when we traded in our Mazda 3, for the CX5, I brought it in to the Mazda dealer and specifically asked for a Transmission Flush because It was fairly close to 50k and wanted to go ahead and get ahead of it. The service advisor told me not to worry about that because they were life-time fluids and did not have to do anything unless something happens to the transmission...

Mazda can't even define what "lifetime" means. I asked Mazda NAO and multiple times got the corporate speak non-answer of "fluid is good until you need to do major transmission work" which was what they were saying when you read between the lines. I went ahead and performed several ATF drain and fills back in September.

FYI - Can't do a flush on the SkyActiv transmissions. They don't have the external lines to hook up to a flush machine. But you can absolutely do drain and fills, and if you are feeling extra adventurous, drop the pan, replace the filter.

Last edited:
I was given a ballpark figure of around $2k to install a used one. I've seen them on e-bay for quite a wide range. Any advise on how to choose which one?

Maybe hit up Chris_Top_Her, he had to put a used one in his as well and I think he got it on eBay or some other similar online site if I am remembering correctly, he may know. He's the moderator.

Mazda can't even define what "lifetime" means. I asked Mazda NAO and multiple times got the corporate speak non-answer of "fluid is good until you need to do major transmission work" which was what they were saying when you read between the lines. I went ahead and performed several ATF drain and fills back in September.

FYI - Can't do a flush on the SkyActiv transmissions. They don't have the external lines to hook up to a flush machine. But you can absolutely do drain and fills, and if you are feeling extra adventurous, drop the pan, replace the filter.

Found this adapter a while back

Screen%20Shot%202019-01-05%20at%207.29.56%20AM.jpg

https://bglsi.com/BGProducts_Oklahoma_Texas/images/PDF/Tech_Tips.pdf

103k miles

Had 1 bad ignition coil
Brakes twice
Just replaced 4 tires
Front sway bar link
Transmission replaced under CPO warranty
Shocks and struts should probably be replaced.

Suggestions?

Dang we have 88K on our 2014 and I still haven't changed trans fluid. Need to get on that...
I'd do it ASAP in your situation at 88K miles as I simply don't believe there's a lifetime ATF exists. I may do 2 ~ 3 drain-and-fills, and replace the filter cartridge at the last drain-and-fill.

Transmission TSBs are for early CX-5's and it's manufacture's poor design on front casing. Since then Mazda had modified the front casing, you have to find the TSB which may have info on when Mazda did the change. Of course our TSB thread has lost all the URL links been forced by Mazda, and it's essentially useless now.

Last edited:
Back