High Mileage CX-5s - report in

Let me rephrase. The viscosity was getting thin.

Now your lifetime for a car is what..150k miles? Mines 250k+ so if you mean to tell me the ATF will last 250k+ miles over 10-15 years (I'm in year 6), sorry I call bulls***. With how you dump cars I don't think you are the voice for logical maintenance for long term ownership in mind. No offense.

Edit: Also, $2k? Your repair sheet you posted today was what...$900?

Thin compared to what? Did mazda venture a spec for the min/max viscosity for their fluid/transmission, or is this Blackstone's opinion? Based on what? The SkyActiv transmission functions differently from others, so it does matter, I believe.

Thin compared to what? Did mazda venture a spec for the min/max viscosity for their fluid/transmission, or is this Blackstone's opinion? Based on what? The SkyActiv transmission functions differently from others, so it does matter, I believe.
Well Mazda refused to define what "lifetime" actually was, so whatever. I am keeping my car long term. Fluid breaks down over time. Logic says change it.

Well Mazda refused to define what "lifetime" actually was, so whatever. I am keeping my car long term. Fluid breaks down over time. Logic says change it.

Maybe. I worry that one could introduce contaminant via that action, especially considering the RTV sealant used. Very easily could get some spall on the inside that breaks free and clogs a passage. Considering I have yet to hear of a SkyActiv transmission failure at ANY mileage of ANY make/model/year due to fluid age/use/failure, I don't have any great impetus to do so.

Also consider I made it 106K miles on my other CX5 and its transmission was fine, and the transmission in my current CX5 sees a lot less shifting than it did due to being able to accelerate in the same gear I cruise in.

Maybe. I worry that one could introduce contaminant via that action, especially considering the RTV sealant used. Very easily could get some spall on the inside that breaks free and clogs a passage. Considering I have yet to hear of a SkyActiv transmission failure at ANY mileage of ANY make/model/year due to fluid age/use/failure, I don't have any great impetus to do so.

Also consider I made it 106K miles on my other CX5 and its transmission was fine, and the transmission in my current CX5 sees a lot less shifting than it did due to being able to accelerate in the same gear I cruise in.

Again...106k miles hardly constitutes "lifetime" for me. Why that constitutes some sort of high end impressive "benchmark" for you is odd. A reasonable lifetime for me is 250k miles and of I can get more than that, great. If my Jeep GC got 300k miles on it, I think its reasonable to expect the same out of a Japanese vehicle, well maintained.

RTV sealant? I'm not dropping my pan at all, so not sure what you are going on about there. None issue if you are just drain/fill.

Contaminants through the dipstick hole? Sure. Just be careful and nothing bad will happen there. Same thing could be said when you change your oil lol!

Last edited:
I liked the Mazda TSB regarding CEL warnings appearing for dirty fluid triggering a sensor. The direction was to flash the transmission with a higher threshold so the sensor wouldnt flag the issue anymore, and to replace the transmission filter if there was crud in the pan. Replace the sensor if the flash didnt work if I remember right. Seemed perfectly reasonable to me. Ill drop the pan on mine at ~100k and take a look at how things are progressing. I dont expect it to look any different than any other transmission pan at that age, lol. At 65k now on my 2013 so it wont be for a while.

165,000 miles. 2013 CX-5. Maintenance: brake pad/rotor, brake fluid, tire, battery, spark plugs, 1 ignition coil, coolant at 125k and regular oil and filter. Never had ATF changed.

Again...106k miles hardly constitutes "lifetime" for me. Why that constitutes some sort of high end impressive "benchmark" for you is odd. A reasonable lifetime for me is 250k miles and of I can get more than that, great. If my Jeep GC got 300k miles on it, I think its reasonable to expect the same out of a Japanese vehicle, well maintained.

RTV sealant? I'm not dropping my pan at all, so not sure what you are going on about there. None issue if you are just drain/fill.

Contaminants through the dipstick hole? Sure. Just be careful and nothing bad will happen there. Same thing could be said when you change your oil lol!

Well, we now have responders at 160K and 200K miles who never changed the fluid and are quite happy.

Not terribly high but an interesting number!

IMG_6617.jpg

Well, we now have responders at 160K and 200K miles who never changed the fluid and are quite happy.
Cool sample of 2 and the 200k guy said he is mostly highway.

Fluid still wears and a transmission has way more going on than your gun barrel (analogy you posted in another thread), which I am quite sure any responsible gun owner cleans fairly regularly. ;)

Cool sample of 2 and the 200k guy said he is mostly highway.

Fluid still wears and a transmission has way more going on than your gun barrel (analogy you posted in another thread), which I am quite sure any responsible gun owner cleans fairly regularly. ;)

NSW will burn guns down before cleaning because there is no need on their firing schedule (barrels last about 7500 rounds or so given their use). My friend would do it in about 3 weeks. Full auto break-contact drills, etc. The only cleaning it got was when it was re-barreled.

That said, when you can show me a single SkyActiv transmission that had a failure due to fluid not being changed...your "sample of 0" vs. my "sample of 2", lol

Geez.. drain and fill ATF, or don't. Buy the extended warranty, or don't. What you do with your own car is your own business. Based on the exhausting back and forth between Uno and CD on this, I've learned that I could probably go either way and be fine after 200,000 kms.

That said, personally I'll probably do a few drain and fills at 120,000 km or so, just for my own peace of mind. Changing (i.e. draining and filling) ATF early/often doesn't hurt anything but your wallet.

Geez.. drain and fill ATF, or don't. Buy the extended warranty, or don't. What you do with your own car is your own business. Based on the exhausting back and forth between Uno and CD on this, I've learned that I could probably go either way and be fine after 200,000 kms.

That said, personally I'll probably do a few drain and fills at 120,000 km or so, just for my own peace of mind. Changing (i.e. draining and filling) ATF early/often doesn't hurt anything but your wallet.

And Uno would tell you youre one of those owners who knows whats best XD

51000 on my 16 GT AWD. I change the oil every 5000 and keep the exterior and interior detailed. The leather on the driver's seat is starting to show wear, despite its protection. Stock tires wore out at 30000, the replacements are much better, as far as tread life goes (BF Goodrich Advantage T/A).

110,000 on our 2016 GT. Zero issues ever. Tranny drain at fills at 50 and 75K. Going to do another one here very shortly. Oil change every 5K. Mostly highway miles. Still averaging 30.5 according to the computer.

142k, will be doing my drain and fill soon. I can tell pressure is down during "d" mode shifting at "normal" throttle. The shifts tends to be lazy. Also this trans I think has like 80 or 90k on it

exactly.
The only way to exchange most of the fluid with drain/refill through the plug would be to do the activity 2-3 times in a row..say every few hundres miles. Otherwise you cant get all of the old fluid out with only 1 activity.

exactly.
The only way to exchange most of the fluid with drain/refill through the plug would be to do the activity 2-3 times in a row..say every few hundres miles. Otherwise you cant get all of the old fluid out with only 1 activity.

Right, but most people here report doing the first drain (or first "set" of 2 or 3 drains) at around 60K-80K miles. I don't see why doing it every 25K would be necessary. I'm about to do the first one for ours at just over 90K, as soon as I get some time on a weekend.

Right, but most people here report doing the first drain (or first "set" of 2 or 3 drains) at around 60K-80K miles. I don't see why doing it every 25K would be necessary. I'm about to do the first one for ours at just over 90K, as soon as I get some time on a weekend.
Well don't need to do 2 or 3 sets at 60k+ if doing 1 set say every 30k-ish.

Back