High Mileage CX-5s - report in

Hey guys! I have 2 CX5s...my 2013 CX5 GX Manual is still pretty young at 59K miles on it but I just picked up a 2013 CX5 GT with 107K miles on it for cheap. From the consensus I've read on here these are very reliable vehicles and the one with 107K drives just as good as my GX with 59K. I wouldn't worry about high milers if they were well maintained.

41000 miles here , no problems to report , just oil changes and i put new Continental tires at 38K miles, a crazy lady hit/scratched my driver door and i had to replace it, apart from that it drives as good as new

Lmao @ your name.

What sort of brake maintenance do you plan on doing? Are you going to lube the caliper sliding pins and do a caliper service?

I intend to replace the brake rotors, pads, lubricate the guide pins and do a full fluid flush. I've sold my 2015 3s GT and inherited the CX-5. Couldn't believe how disgusting it was. Smelled horrible. My wife is truly a slob. I've spent alot of time this week (virtually all of what little spare time I have these days) trying to get it cleaned up. It's finally looking respectable. Just need to clean the upholstery.

It's over 85K miles now. I don't notice any difference today from when it was new, other than the brakes. Drives great. Lifetime 28 MPG average. I hope to make it last a few more years, before I get into something different. But, I intend to keep it forever. XD

Last edited:
I just rolled over 96,000 km. I bought mine in May of 2012. I had one of the first ones in my area, and I had to order it with the 6MT and wait two months. So far not even a bad burp. Nothing but oil changes. It's been serviced at the dealership since I like them (hard to believe, I know). The only thing I didn't care for were the OEM tires, and hopefully will replace those in the next couple of weeks. I have Generals for winter and love them. 7.3L/100km which converts to about 32 mpg. I drive mostly city/rural. The only changes were adding heated seats and leather, since they weren't available on my base model.

I'm thinking I'll be in for some items before too long (battery, brakes, etc), and am wondering what kind of mileage people were getting before doing major work like clutch, etc. I'm not hard on them (got 350km out of my B2200 before doing clutch), but I either need to think about a new vehicle before the first round of serious maintenance or keeping this one for another 6+ years, which I'm leaning towards. The MT is mandatory for me. Too bad, because I would have bought a loaded AWD if they offered it with a stick.

Thanks for any thoughts/advice.

Couldn't believe how disgusting it was. Smelled horrible. My wife is truly a slob.

LMAO. I know what you mean. My car is very clean for the most part and my girlfriend always compliments that.

My sisters car is always a sty. (Girlfriend doesn't drive currently so closest example I have)

Hold off on the congratulations until I actually drive the thing around a little bit ;) Someone else did the driving; I just picked it up because I could only afford one with a hilarious amount of miles on it.

I bought the car from a buy-here-pay-here for $7999 after taxes and other fees. Dude that ran the lot claimed he paid $7300 for it. Some other data from other cx-5's I was checkin' out... There's a few others with close to this many miles on it scattered around Ohio- 2 are at a new car dealership for $10k and $11k. One with slightly over 100,000 miles was posted by a private party for $8800. Those are all GT's with all wheel drive... there were a couple sports posted for $75xx-$9xxx with just over 100,000 miles but the all wheel drive is what I wanted a cx-5 for... so noort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/28577897_1996554873707284_8923438371057932009_n.jpg?oh=568a40865ded84d19b76298d72a

not a lot to look at... just a car. Nice and clean and I love driving it. I'll miss peeling around turns in my protege and seeing people snap their heads over to see wtf is going on when they hear my tires squealing though.
28577017_1996554800373958_4703234636662907300_n.jpg

Not bad. Engine/drivetrain? Is that protege stock (looks like speed wheels) and do you plan on mods?

I am over 100K now. A couple of things that I would note. First, I got great mileage driving up and down the eastern seaboard. Close to 31 MPG on the highway and ~28-29 overall for the entire trip. This reading was the start of the second full tank heading north from the Carolinas. Second, car did great in the rain and cold up north as well as with the traffic in the big cities.

99999.jpg

Hit 187,000 miles on a 2014 CX5 Grand Touring and had to replace the engine due to a cracked block...

Same wonder what the deal was.

Wife has a 2013 Sport AWD Auto we got new in fall of 2012 80k miles. Paid it off a few years ago. She plans on driving 300k no interest in getting rid of for any reason.

Drives like new i am a over maintencer I did new shocks at 70k brakes awhile back changed all fluids AWD, trans and coolant. M1 EP oil changed every 5k (now w the EP ill do 10k) Added factory fogs. Spark Plugs were done. None of this needed to be done per se i just did them.

Had a few recalls a ECU reprogram. Hatch shock replace. Nothing major

I knew someone who cracked a block in cold weather when only water was used for cooling. It seems to be a rare occasion now unless something inside let go or the hot engine hit some deep cold water while driving through.

As of this morning....252,553 miles on a 2014 Grand Touring with AWD.
please forgive me, but i have no clue how to add the pic to the post.

That is commendable mileage on any vehicle. Obviously you drive a lot, 60-70k a year.
No kidding...on a gasser anyway.
I'd be interested to hear some additional details on any CX-5 which has exceeded 200K - don't skimp out on maintenance and repair details. I'd be nice to get 250K out of my CX-5, but it'll take me 20 years to get there. Lol

Impressive! Can you share with us several things:

What broke (if anything)?
What maintenance did you do with the differential/transmission (if any)?
How long did you let the OEM spark-plugs go for?
Does it get the same MPG as when new?
Does it use any oil that you can tell?

Thanks!

Impressive! Can you share with us several things:

What broke (if anything)?
What maintenance did you do with the differential/transmission (if any)?
How long did you let the OEM spark-plugs go for?

Thanks!

Definitely interested in this too!

What I do is this:

Go to your settings page. At the bottom is a link that says "manage files". You can upload a file there and once it is uploaded, you can copy the link and paste it into your post through the "insert" image button.

dizzamn... 250k... siccccc
After 1000 miles on my newly acquired 186k 2014 GT no issues to report other than a squeaky belt on start-ups. I was worried the alternator bearings were going... but the alternator spins smoothly so I guess maybe the belt's just a little old.
Engine is great. The transmission feels great too but at low speeds there's a bit of a jutter if I'm too quick to mash the pedal... I assume that's just the torque converter locking up. My protege did it too but not as harshly. I assume it's just a thing cars do. No issues shifting otherwise.

Back