High Mileage CX-5s - report in

84,000 miles on our 2014 now. Transmission is fine, but having electrical issues. Latest is the lift gate is stuck closed. Bought the parts and will change the actuator today. I just realized there is an additional lock switch on the tailgate so I bought that in case its not the lock actuator.

84,000 miles on our 2014 now. Transmission is fine, but having electrical issues. Latest is the lift gate is stuck closed. Bought the parts and will change the actuator today. I just realized there is an additional lock switch on the tailgate so I bought that in case its not the lock actuator.

Yeah...that lock button is easy to forget about under there.

Update, switch on lift gate is fried with a pin that is stuck in the harness. I ordered a new switch, but I am concerned with the connector on the harness since the switch pin broke off. I changed the actuator anyway and put everything back together. Now if I may need to find a new harness clip.

106K on my 2016 GT. No issues ever. I have replaced the brake pads at 75K . The spark plug around the same. Did a drain and fill on the transmission at 50 and 75K. Finally, on my third set of second set of replacement tires. Has been a great car.

Should I buy? 2016 CX 5 Sport 92k miles.

I think this post belongs here.

I'm going to look at a 2016 CX-5 Sport AWD w 2.5 L in a couple days. It has about 92k miles on it.
One owner personal vehicle. Has been in to Mazda dealer every 4-6k miles for "regular maintainence" per Carfax.

Looking at this car for my 16 yo twins.

What concerns should I have in view of the mileage?

Thanks- this is my first forum post.

Jon D

May need new spark plugs if those were never done. Coming up on the coolant change requirement (120k on the 2.5L?). You could drain and fill the transmission fluid, up to you if you agree with the lifetime spec or prefer to replace for peace of mind. AWD: see when the differential fluid was last serviced. Last thing to check would be accessory belt if thats never been changed and the appearance of the water pump. Brake fluid flush would be great if thats never been done too.

Thats all I can think of in the future for my 2013 (except for spark plugs, I changed mine at about 60k ahead of schedule). Very little maintenance required for these cars, mine is 2WD so even less to worry about). My Odyssey on the other hand..., lol.

May need new spark plugs if those were never done. Coming up on the coolant change requirement (120k on the 2.5L?). You could drain and fill the transmission fluid, up to you if you agree with the lifetime spec or prefer to replace for peace of mind. AWD: see when the differential fluid was last serviced. Last thing to check would be accessory belt if that*s never been changed and the appearance of the water pump. Brake fluid flush would be great if that*s never been done too.

That*s all I can think of in the future for my 2013 (except for spark plugs, I changed mine at about 60k ahead of schedule). Very little maintenance required for these cars, mine is 2WD so even less to worry about). My Odyssey on the other hand..., lol.
Agreed. My plugs were just fine at nearly 80K miles, btw. My brake fluid had 3% moisture at around 97K. AWD diff fluid, I ended up getting a new diff at around 34K miles or so due to fording a stream. I never bothered to change it after that and it was fine. I had it checked around 80-90K miles or so and they said the fluid looked new and didn't recommend service.

I'm at 152k on my '13. Accumulating the parts to do a stage "0" refresh soon. Basically replacing a bunch of worn parts so I'm not chasing parts as they need replacing.
Engine:
Accessory Belt, Tensioner, Water Pump belt
Coolant
Spark Plugs (2nd time)
Transmission oil (fwd, MT)
Suspension: Control arms (I tend to drive fast and on rough roads)
Springs and shocks are ok but may be up dated in summer. Tie rods are ok but may get replaced as well over the summer.
Brakes: Pads/Rotors/Slide pins. Rear brakes have been my issue with this car, uneven wear, seizing caliper pins
New fluid

Original battery replaced this winter. Independent Mechanic did the control arms, fluids. I'll do brakes, belts, plugs, filters
I haven't touched the intake or fuel system yet.

No interior rattles or significant wear to fabrics. I haven't replaced a single light bulb which really surprises me. 8 years on original headlights.

At this point I'll drive into the ground. Daughter may inherit it since she gets a license next month and has been doing well with the clutch. A couple of rust stains on the doors but I haven't found any bubbling (knocks on wood). I do wonder what it looks like under the wheel well plastic.

I have just over 156,000mi/250,000km on my 2015 CX-5. No issues, but I did replace the battery last year because it was on its way out. Vehicle is oil sprayed every year since I live in the rust belt.

Otherwise, Ive done normal maintenance (oil changes, coolant flush at 125k miles, tranny flush every 60k miles) spark plugs, brakes and tires. I have front end links and new sway bar bushings that I will install shortly as the sway bar makes some clunking noises occasionally.

I have just over 156,000mi/250,000km on my 2015 CX-5. No issues, but I did replace the battery last year because it was on its way out. Vehicle is oil sprayed every year since I live in the rust belt.

Otherwise, Ive done normal maintenance (oil changes, coolant flush at 125k miles, tranny flush every 60k miles) spark plugs, brakes and tires. I have front end links and new sway bar bushings that I will install shortly as the sway bar makes some clunking noises occasionally.

Have you had the vehicle since new? Have he transmission fluid changes just been draining the pan and refilling?

Nice to hear old CX-5s are clocking miles well. Anyone with a 2017+ with more than 50k miles? So far so good over here.

Have you had the vehicle since new? Have he transmission fluid changes just been draining the pan and refilling?

I have owned the vehicle since new and have been meticulous with maintenance.

Flushes for both transmission fluid and coolant. Always serviced at the dealership. For the price of the fluids, I cant be bothered just doing a drain a fill. Its easier and better to get a flush done so you know the fluid has been 100% exchanged. Its expensive, but given the price tag of a new engine or transmission, I believe it to be cheap insurance.

Last edited:
I have owned the vehicle since new and have been meticulous with maintenance.

Flushes for both transmission fluid and coolant. Always serviced at the dealership. For the price of the fluids, I cant be bothered just doing a drain a fill. Its easier and better to get a flush done so you know the fluid has been 100% exchanged. Its expensive, but given the price tag of a new engine or transmission, I believe it to be cheap insurance.
I hope you know that the SkyActiv transmission does not have the external lines to do a flush unless they are modded on.

You should see how much fluid you were charged on your invoices. If it was around 4 qts, it was definitely a drain and fill.

I hope you know that the SkyActiv transmission does not have the external lines to do a flush unless they are modded on.

You should see how much fluid you were charged on your invoices. If it was around 4 qts, it was definitely a drain and fill.

Im good buddies with one of the mechanics there. They have adapters to complete the flushes through the dip stick and a pressure port. The last time I had it done he exchanged 12 quarts. I looked at my invoice again. It says Performed complete drain, flush-cycle and fill.

Last edited:
Im good buddies with one of the mechanics there. They have adapters to complete the flushes through the dip stick and a pressure port. The last time I had it done he exchanged 12 quarts. I looked at my invoice again. It says Performed complete drain, flush-cycle and fill.
Awesome! Good deal.

Drain and refills only for me... last time I had a flush on my '07 G35x I lost the transmission about a month later. Fortunately it was covered under my factory extended warranty on that rig. One of the few I came out ahead on. IIRC....$1800 but paid out almost $9K in repairs.

Transmission, steering rack and AC compressor.

Drain and refills only for me... last time I had a flush on my '07 G35x I lost the transmission about a month later. Fortunately it was covered under my factory extended warranty on that rig. One of the few I came out ahead on. IIRC....$1800 but paid out almost $9K in repairs.

Transmission, steering rack and AC compressor.

Drain and fill killed my G20, and introduced tq converter judder to my Jeep. 106k miles and never touched my last cx5 and zero transmission issues.

Drain and fill killed my G20, and introduced tq converter judder to my Jeep. 106k miles and never touched my last cx5 and zero transmission issues.
Be that as it may, my fluid was out of spec at 71k miles.

Considering you were looking for any excuse to unload the 2015 vs some of us who want to hold onto it long term...

Be that as it may, my fluid was out of spec at 71k miles.

Considering you were looking for any excuse to unload the 2015 vs some of us who want to hold onto it long term...

Turned out I dodged about $2k in repairs though!

That said, what spec? MZD fluid is unique unto itself, so how did BS determine that your sample was not in spec for the transmission and the fluids operating parameters?

Turned out I dodged about $2k in repairs though!

That said, what spec? MZD fluid is unique unto itself, so how did BS determine that your sample was not in spec for the transmission and the fluids operating parameters?
Let me rephrase. The viscosity was getting thin.

Now your lifetime for a car is what..150k miles? Mines 250k+ so if you mean to tell me the ATF will last 250k+ miles over 10-15 years (I'm in year 6), sorry I call bulls***. With how you dump cars I don't think you are the voice for logical maintenance for long term ownership in mind. No offense.

Edit: Also, $2k? Your repair sheet you posted today was what...$900?

Last edited:
Back