Opinions on the Active Driving Display?

Mikecherves

:
N/A
Im most likely getting a mazda 3 and im wondering what you guys think about the HUD. Like it or hate it? Is it worth it? Please give me advantages and especially disadvantages. Any bugs or annoying things? In general should i get it or no?

I came from having HUD in my 01 Corvette, so it was a must-have for my Mazda 3. The display from the Corvette HUD is projected over the road vs near the base of the windshield in the 3, but hey, the Corvette cost me $51.5K in 01, so I didn't expect a $29K car in 2014 to have the same sophistication. Still, it is a lot better than having to look down at the instrument area, especially at highway speeds.
The other nice thing about the 3's HUD is that it also displays turn arrows when a navigation route has been activated. The arrows give you a quick reminder as to when you need to make a turn.
So all-in-all, I give the HUD a hearty thumbs-up.

If you do not get the tech package, all you get is speed and GPS directions.
If you do, you get a whole lot more info.

I like the HUD and have definitely gotten used to it. Did I consider it a must have no, but now that I have one it's weird driving other cars with out the HUD.

I think the display height is just right. I don't think I would have liked it if it was any higher on the windshield. I feel like I don't even look at it anymore, I'm just subconsciously processing the speed information. So take that for what it's worth.

Probably the only thing I do not like about the HUD is if I turned off the display, the little plastic thing that the image is projected on stays up.

I thought it was kind of cheesy at first, but I do like it now, especially with the nav directions appearing there. I don't have the tech package.

It's one of the reasons I got the car lol. The only thing with mine is sometimes the height on mine resets..it happened about 2 times and got the car in April 14

It's cool to have it, but it will be cooler if you can turn it off (completely retract it). Currently you can turn off the info, but not remove the plastic piece which is extremely anoying.

Why would anyone want to turn it off? Would you cut out circular discs of cardboard to cover up the speedometer or tach?

Back