Inspection Required error messages

tjka4231

:
2015 Mazda CX 5 AWD w/Tech
This afternoon, after starting my 2015 CX 5 GT, four "Inspection Required" error messages scrolled across the right-hand display. Those error message were "Engine Inspection Required", "TPMS Inspection Required", "Keyless System Inspection Required", and "SCBS Inspection Required". I turned-off the engine and restarted it a few times but the error messages didn't go away. It was still drivable. I will take it into the dealer to have it checked out. I only had my CX 5 for a little over 2 months and it has under 1,100 miles on it. Has anyone experienced seeing these error messages before on your CX 5?

Never seen any posts regarding multiple error messages at start-up. Obviously all those systems didn't fail simultaneously. May be a ground issue, check your battery connections, one of the terminals may be loose. If so, you could disconnect the negative terminal and reconnect after a few minutes to clear everything. If neither of the terminals is loose though, I'd get to dealer asap.

My wife's 15 had similar issues. Turned out to be a loose chassis ground behind the passenger front splash shield. No issues since.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Didn't have time yesterday but I took my CX 5 into the Mazda dealer today to diagnose what's going on with those "Inspection Required" error messages. It's been there the entire day and the service advisor just told me late today that they haven't figured it out yet what's causing the error messages. He said the car will need to stay there over the weekend as Mazda support is not available during the weekend to work with the service technician. He did say they have pulled the DTC codes and computer readings and have seen very weird numbers, such as the vehicle is moving at minus 87 miles per hour while stationary in the service bay is one weird thing he told me. He said he will give me further updates on Monday when Mazda support is available to work with them.

Last edited:
UPDATE: A Mazda engineer came to the dealer late on Friday after my above post and found the problem. It was traced to interference caused by a car-tracking device (CarShield) that was connected to the OBDII connector. After it was disconnected, all the "Inspection Required" error messages went away. I'm glad this is resolved, but since it wasn't a warranted Mazda issue, I had to pay $375 for the troubleshooting effort by the dealer's technician.

Was that a device installed by the dealer or did you install it? If by dealer, I'd make them pay.

Was that a device installed by the dealer or did you install it? If by dealer, I'd make them pay.

It was actually installed by an Audio store that was referred by the manufacturer of the tracking device (CarShield) as one of their authorized installers. The device did worked with no problems to the car for two months until this week. Unfortunately, in the fine print of their warranty, it said they are not responsible if their product causes any problems to a car's electrical system. I guess watchout for the CarShield product. Not sure if other tracking device companies have similar disclaimers or issues.

Last edited:
Hello ,

I get exactly the same behavior with a OBDII headUp display 3 times in 2 months. Since I disconnect it (around 2 months ago) no more errors !

I guess there is some interferences between OBDII and car system with an always connected device on OBDII port :-(

Did they have to reset anything or did the messages just go away? I'm suffering something very similar which i am hoping was caused by a tracker. I have since removed he tracker but am still getting the error messages. Are these code a obd2 reader can take care of?

With any electronics issues with the car, the 1st thing to try is to remove any aftermarket installed devices...

I once had a cheap eBay in-car DVR on my CX9. It interfered with GPS reception.
It happened randomly, so it took me awhile to figure that out.
Once the DVR was removed, the GPS worked perfectly thereafter.

With any electronics issues with the car, the 1st thing to try is to remove any aftermarket installed devices...

I once had a cheap eBay in-car DVR on my CX9. It interfered with GPS reception.
It happened randomly, so it took me awhile to figure that out.
Once the DVR was removed, the GPS worked perfectly thereafter.

I have removed it but the messages are still there.

I’m having the same issues with the messages but on top of that my car won’t start. Mazda CX-5 2014 with Bose System.
I had that with my 6. The very same. In my case, the entire ECU needed changing, with keys reset etc. Died whilst driving. I got a used part and the dealer fitted it.

Back