For People Who Added a Hitch, How much does the added weight affect your MPG?

decal

I was thinking of adding a hitch to my CX5, but wanted to get some feedback on how much it impacts the mpg from people who installed it. Mainly when there is nothing attached to the hitch, not when you are actually hauling stuff. I was thinking of getting the Curt 13127 Class 3 Trailer Hitch which adds about 40lbs on the car. I'm mainly going to be using it to attach a bike rack when I want transport my bike. I won't necessarily have the bike rack attached all the time. Any feedback would be appreciated.

No mileage hit. I use my rear carrier more often than my Yakima basket because less aerodynamic drag as well.

Thanks for the responses. It doesn't sound like its a noticeable difference in mpg hit.

We don't have to do any calculations or anything to get a really accurate percentage drop. I was mainly looking for noticeable drops in mpg given the same driving habits with the hitch vs without it.

Throw a 40 ib bag of something or some weights in the back for a week and see if you notice a change.

I was still able to handle well with the b**** on. Impact is negligible imo.

Back