Coolant overflow reservoir relocation.

TheWaterboy

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Hey guys I'm putting in an Injen CAI in my 03 P5 and I've got a problem. I can't figure out where to reattach the bracket for the overflow reservoir... Help anyone? I've looked for a thread about this but no luck. Thanks!

I believe you just make it work/find/make a place.
There are options for different overflow tanks; I'm looking at a weapon r version

Hey guys I'm putting in an Injen CAI in my 03 P5 and I've got a problem. I can't figure out where to reattach the bracket for the overflow reservoir... Help anyone? I've looked for a thread about this but no luck. Thanks!

not sure if these pics help but you're basically flipping the bracket around

motm%20-%20engine.JPG

Last edited:
I believe you just make it work/find/make a place.
There are options for different overflow tanks; I'm looking at a weapon r version
The weapon R one is nice and the only one with a site tube where you can see the fluid level inside but it has a design flaw as far as I'm concerned.......the inlet for the coolant coming from the radiator into the resevoir is up near the top of the can sooooooooooooo there is no way for it to suck the juice back into the radiator without modification. What good is it to just keep pushing fluid into the can without a way for it to pull back into radiator. If they would have just put the damn port down towards the bottom of the can it would work just like the plastic jug does. What I did on mine was pull a silicone vacuum line thru the port enough to touch bottom of can and nip the corner off the end so it can suck the juice back to radiator. I cut the end sticking out of the port off where it just sticks out about 1/8" where you can put the hose over it and run the hose back to the radiator nipple. Attention to details like this matter a lot. The answer I got about it from them was that it was universal to be used as an oil catch can too. I call BS on that too because the overflow tube is tiny like the site tube and not same diameter as the port where you connect the hose. I would not even attempt to use this for an oil catch can. My OBX oil catch has 2 ports on top, a site tube & a drain plug on the bottom. The lack of forsight on this is not impressive.

And..........after doing all this, I was unwilling to use the plastic oem jug.

2014update04.jpg

All this aside, you can bend the oem bracket flat and gain a couple of other mounting possibilities using existing bolt holes in the area by angling it in different directions. The same hose will still reach to radiator too, just maybe different route kinda like in the other post pic above.

Last edited:
s***. I emailed them about this: http://www.weapon-r.com/products/1068-universal-universal-coolant-reserve-tank-24-fl-oz

Thought it had a sight tube, and the inlet is fine...guess that's not a sight tube. Dammit. I just put in a simota oil catch can and that weapon r would look nice. Hmm. But if I have to modify it, I could do the same with a jegs or summit coolant catch can, and just flip it upside down for the inlet to work. Would save money for a short ram intake too....

The weapon R one is nice and the only one with a site tube where you can see the fluid level inside but it has a design flaw as far as I'm concerned.......the inlet for the coolant coming from the radiator into the resevoir is up near the top of the can sooooooooooooo there is no way for it to suck the juice back into the radiator without modification. What good is it to just keep pushing fluid into the can without a way for it to pull back into radiator. If they would have just put the damn port down towards the bottom of the can it would work just like the plastic jug does. What I did on mine was pull a silicone vacuum line thru the port enough to touch bottom of can and nip the corner off the end so it can suck the juice back to radiator. I cut the end sticking out of the port off where it just sticks out about 1/8" where you can put the hose over it and run the hose back to the radiator nipple. Attention to details like this matter a lot. The answer I got about it from them was that it was universal to be used as an oil catch can too. I call BS on that too because the overflow tube is tiny like the site tube and not same diameter as the port where you connect the hose. I would not even attempt to use this for an oil catch can. My OBX oil catch has 2 ports on top, a site tube & a drain plug on the bottom. The lack of forsight on this is not impressive.

And..........after doing all this, I was unwilling to use the plastic oem jug.

2014update04.jpg

All this aside, you can bend the oem bracket flat and gain a couple of other mounting possibilities using existing bolt holes in the area by angling it in different directions. The same hose will still reach to radiator too, just maybe different route kinda like in the other post pic above.

yeah dude youre using the wrong one, I have a weapon r one it doesnt look like that

yeah dude youre using the wrong one, I have a weapon r one it doesnt look like that
No dude, I'm not. There are more than one WR model, look at the engraved lids, they are the same. It is advertised as a coolant overflow. Tell me why they didn't put the hose connection down on the bottom like on the other shaped ones. The one I bought I bought for space constraints and didn't want one of the other odd shaped ones they sell. Look at my air filter box, there is no room or mounting place for the one like yours or any of the other specific model shaped ones. Yeah, sure the evox specific one is set up right as are the other specific ones are but it's just stupid for it to not be on the bottom of the universal ones like the others is what I'm saying. No big deal, it got a tube shoved in it that will allow it to work as it should. Here's the one I bought.....it says coolant overflow, universal so inlet should be on bottom.................

Weapon-R 826-111-101 Aluminum Coolant Overflow Tank 24 fl oz Universal

This one with the site tube would be perfect but it was choice of having site tube with inlet in wrong place or just going without site tube. I wanted site tube and correct inlet. Let me know if I missed that one somehow in all my searching................

Weapon-R 826-134-101 Aluminum Coolant Overflow Reverse Tank 24 fl oz Universal

Last edited:
I have the weapon R overflow and the nipple is on the bottom of the tank. It has two at the top, one is capped the other is the vent tube.

That sounds like one that would double as oil catch can. I just never thought it'd be some crazy thing to just score one with sight glass and connection on bottom. Doesn't matter tho, I will stay with what I have since I already have modded it to work and haven't seen another round 24oz one that has both site tube and inlet on bottom. I looked and looked for any brand one that would work in the space I have and has inlet on bottom and a site glass and never came across the perfect one so I went with the one I did knowing I'd have to mod it.

Back