15,000 Service at dealer on 2014 CX 5 FWD Touring AT

spacecoast

:
2014 CX 5 Touring
Just finished having service done. Full synthetic oil change, rotate and balance tires, throttle body service, brake inspection and top off all fluids--about $225 but given 10% discount. Thoughts?

Throttle body service @15k miles??? Well, at least they gave you a 10% discount.(burnout)

Last edited:
~$200 for an synthetic oil change and tire rotation and a free safety inspection sounds very expensive to me. The throttle body was probably a 15 second spray job into the air intake. Ed

My Mazda Dealer charges approx $61(total out the door) for Full Syn-Oil/Filter Change and Tire Rotation, with a $20 coupon off the next oil change. So, comes out to approx $41, not too terrible.

That must be Castrol or something other than Mazda moly oil for that little $$.

Last edited:
$50 oil change, the rest is mainly labor. IDK what a throttle body service is. Please tell if you know.

It will be interesting to see if my dealer will give me Mazda Moly on my first "free" oil change. If they will give it to me I will do change myself but if not will let them change it out and I will do it myself on subsequent changes.

Does the Castrol they normally use appear in color the same as the Mazda Moly? I need to look at moly quart I bought again (vehicle was about 1/8 quart low at delivery).

Thoughts?

Nice huge profit margin.

Overpriced (nearly 2x even with tire rotation in highest cost coastal areas of US) due to service that is not required or recommended by Mazda. Refer to Mazda CX-5 owners manual which lists required service items.

I wonder what they did for the throttle body cleaning.

Dealers only get Castrol in bulk drums. Mazda Moly oil only comes in quarts and often times the dealers don't even stock them, so there's no way dealer's going to use that unless you buy them those.

I'm not recommending you do it too, but what I did is add my own moly (https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)) after the free oil change in to the Castrol. It's only about $8, and I added 1/3 of the can. I'll be adding this to whatever full synthetic I'm using when I'm not using Mazda Moly.

Did the dealer feel there was a problem that needed a throttle body service? If so, it should have been a warranty item. Why did the tires need balancing? If they convinced you it was a normal 15k mile service item, you need to bone up on the owners manual. Did you go in with a specific problem along with your 15K service?

Last edited:
Just finished having service done. Full synthetic oil change, rotate and balance tires, throttle body service, brake inspection and top off all fluids--about $225 but given 10% discount. Thoughts?

My (former) dealer tried to charge me $280 for the 15,000 service. When I asked what that included the service writer rattled off an extensive list of things that didn't need doing and that would offer me no benefit. I called him on it and he produced a 15,000 mile service sheet (not from Mazda) that included all the items he had rattled off. When I produced the actual 15,000 mile maintenance schedule, the idiot service writer put on his reading glasses and held it at arms length, face scrunched up as if he had never seen Mazda's service schedule and exclaimed in a very disbelieving voice "That's an awfully abbreviated service schedule, I've never seen anything like it." I looked him right in the eye and said "This is all Mazda recommends." He looked flustered but eventually said something like "well if that's all you want, we can just do that" It was said in a manner that suggested only a foolish person would ignore the other things on his list (like replacing the fuel filter inside the fuel tank).

He said the "abbreviated" service would be $70 using the synthetic Moly 0-20. Since I was there for my scheduled service I let them do it. But I haven't been back since and I make sure all my friends, acquaintances and extended family members hear this story before they make a purchase. And it's not just one Mazda dealer losing their business because the same company owns 4 different dealerships in the same area. The same family owns Ford, Mazda, Subaru, and Jeep dealerships.

I've been doing my own services since that unpleasant experience and it's easier than driving it there and back. And I know it gets done properly.

I had a fairly good service experience with some warranty work and an oil change with moly for $70. The next day when I went to use my radio, I realized my subwoofer wasn't working. I thought something was wrong with the hardware but I soon found out that they messed with the subwoofer control coming from my DSP and inadvertently turned it off. I was kind of pissed because it took me a long time to get that setting just right.

O-well, back to doing my own service again. Why did they have to mess with my aftermarket setup? (pissed)

New Mazda 2015 CX-5 owner. Looks like my encounters with my Toyota service dealer will serve me well with Mazda dealers. As one poster indicated, "bone up" on the service manual and instruct the tech to do only what's called for in the scheduled maintenance manual unless I know of a specific problem. I have found service technicians are like salesmen making a sale. Convince the customer he needs what the salesmen is selling.

That said, NTB Tire recommends tires be balanced every 4-6,ooo miles http://www.ntb.com/tires/Wheel-Balancing-Education.j, Goodyear tire says the same thing http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/services/tire-balancing

Last edited:
If it ain't broke than don't fix it. I will only take my tires in for a rebalance if I feel them actually vibrating the car, even very small vibrations.

Last edited:
New Mazda 2015 CX-5 owner. Looks like my encounters with my Toyota service dealer will serve me well with Mazda dealers. As one poster indicated, "bone up" on the service manual and instruct the tech to do only what's called for in the scheduled maintenance manual unless I know of a specific problem. I have found service technicians are like salesmen making a sale. Convince the customer he needs what the salesmen is selling.

That said, NTB Tire recommends tires be balanced every 4-6,ooo miles http://www.ntb.com/tires/Wheel-Balancing-Education.j, Goodyear tire says the same thing http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/services/tire-balancing

As v8Toilet said, "if it ain't broke...". You have figured out the the service writers are salesmen. But NTB and Goodyear are the same. They are also pushing sales. Rotate the tires, but you don't normally need to balance them. You may need to, as they can come out of balance due to wear, but that is not the norm.

I agree with the last two posts and also only balance tires if I feel a vibration. I do rotate at least every 10,000 miles and on this vehicle will probably just go ahead and rotate while doing oil changes (7500 miles).

Next time, go to Walmart, Mobil 1 is $22.99 for a 5 quart bottle, and $3.27 for a Purolator Oil filter. And if you buy now Mobil 1 has a $12 per container rebate. Rotating tires is a good idea, but can be done yourself with a proper jack. Throttle body service at $15k is ridiculous.

Back