iOS 8 and Bluetooth Issues?

pearlbeer

:
2011 CX-9
Since upgrading to iOS8, I've had some issues with Bluetooth connectivity. The phone seems to pair fine, but does not automatically connect for outgoing calls. Incoming seems to work fine, but with outgoing, I have to choose to connect with the bluetooth after the call pick ups.

I've tried rebooting my phone and also deleted and repaired the phone with the car. No help.

I have had no issues with in/out going calls on my iPhone 5s via bluetooth. what phone do you have?

Since upgrading to iOS8, I've had some issues with Bluetooth connectivity. The phone seems to pair fine, but does not automatically connect for outgoing calls. Incoming seems to work fine, but with outgoing, I have to choose to connect with the bluetooth after the call pick ups.

I've tried rebooting my phone and also deleted and repaired the phone with the car. No help.

Did you do the iOS 8.1 update? Apple messed up that update so bad, they pulled it back. People reported issues with outgoing calls.

I have an Iphone 5s and have upgraded to the latest version of iOS 8. I've "Reset Network Settings" and "Reset All Settings" but keep getting the same issue. Also had deleted and repaired the phone a few times. The phone connects via bluetooth but outgoing calls do not push to the car. Incoming calls work fine. Again, this issue developed with the installation of iOS*

I have an Iphone 5s and have upgraded to the latest version of iOS 8. I've "Reset Network Settings" and "Reset All Settings" but keep getting the same issue. Also had deleted and repaired the phone a few times. The phone connects via bluetooth but outgoing calls do not push to the car. Incoming calls work fine. Again, this issue developed with the installation of iOS*

Have you tried doing a restore of your phone? I have an iPhone 5 with iOS 8.0.2; I have no issues making outgoing calls over the BT in my '12.

any luck? I have the same issue. Outgoing does not ring on bluetooth. I can only connect once some one picks the call. :(

Anyone tried disconnecting the battery on the CX-9 and leaving it for a minute? Would this do a complete reset of the factory radio?

I had a bunch of issues with the phone book on my iPhone 5, iOS 8.1/2014 CX-9 when I just got it. I had tried deleting the phone and re-pairing, rebooting the phone, etc. in different order repeatedly. Ended up being the screen on the phone had to stay LIT while the PhoneBook was downloading and now it works fine. This solution seems kind-of dumb, but it worked. Didn't need to disconnect the battery, but that would have been the next step.

For the issues mentioned above maybe a full reset is required? (I haven't found a way to do it without disconnecting the battery... You can factory reset the Nav, but not the whole system...)

I have the EXACT same issue. I've done everything under the sun to try and fix it, including getting a replacement phone through Apple and I'm still having the problem. Have you found anything that works?

Update on my experience. I never did do a battery reset on the car, but instead did this:

-Deleted phone from CX-9 head unit.

-Deleted CX-9 from Bluetooth settings in iPhone.

-Re-set up connection:
--When it asks for the pairing code confirmation, I selected confirm on the phone first, then the head unit
--Make sure the phone screen stays in bright mode/activated (i would just occasionally flip through screens on the phone) while the phone book is downloading the first time.

-Once connection is set up, i go into the bluetooth settings on the iPhone and de-selected "Show Notifications" and "Sync Contacts".
~~~The reason for this was, every time I restarted the car it would try and download the phone book again from my phone, at a process of about 30-60 seconds. Unacceptable to me, as while the book is downloading no other data (music) can be transmitted. So once it had the book downloaded, I don't let it sync anymore. This sped up the connection, but strangely, not consistently. About 1 in 5 start ups it still says "Downloading Phonebook" when you go to the Phone button on the head unit. This process looks like the typical 30-60 seconds as if it were working. But it does sync up better than before.

Details:
Apple iPhone 5 32gb - iOS 8.1.1 (12B435)
2014 Mazda CX-9 GT w/ Tech Package - door date stamp 02/14

I bought my 2012 CX-9 used and I love my car but I am having the biggest issues with Bluetooth and audio. I'm having all the same phone issues and the voice training is greyed out so I cannot speak any commands because it doesn't reconize my voice and when it plays audio from my phone it does not show the name of the song or track name and all the buttons are greyed out so I cannot skip to the next song unless I use the controls on the steering wheel. I have a new iphone6 plus (which audio is fully compatible per Mazda) and the Grand Touring Package with Navigation. If anyone has any thoughts please let me know. Thank you!

I just bought a 2013 CX 9 and the bluetooth connection was fine until today. I unpaired them and now it won't even pick up my phone's bt. I checked the bt on my phone and it works with other devices. I have an iPhone 4s with iOS 8.1.3. My husband has the same phone and I can have him try and connect later. I was going to have him disconnect the battery, but is there something else I can try, or is it an Apple problem?

I just bought a 2013 CX 9 and the bluetooth connection was fine until today. I unpaired them and now it won't even pick up my phone's bt. I checked the bt on my phone and it works with other devices. I have an iPhone 4s with iOS 8.1.3. My husband has the same phone and I can have him try and connect later. I was going to have him disconnect the battery, but is there something else I can try, or is it an Apple problem?

I would delete both the "Mazda" profile in the phone, and the phone from the Bluetooth menu in the car. Then go about re-doing the setup. Make sure your bluetooth is ON on your phone (and I leave it on the bluetooth screen up on the phone while it's doing set up). Turn on the car, go to the bluetooth menu, and it should ask you if you want to set it up (if not, go to "add a device"). Then when it asks you for the code, press OK on the phone FIRST, then OK on the car. Make sure the screen of your phone stays lit the whole time it's doing the inital pairing and phonebook download (I.E., don't let the phone go to "sleep").

This procedure has worked for me.

Apple just pushed out an iOS software update this week. Coincidence?

Apple just pushed out an iOS software update this week. Coincidence?

HMMM, interesting. I'm still on 8.1.2 (12B440) and sure enough I just checked software update and 8.1.3 is there, as @Jillhanba stated they are on... If the reset and/or re-pairing of the phone doesn't work for them, I won't be updating, LOL.

UPDATE

My Bluetooth connection with my 2011 CX9 and iPhone 5s is still sub-standard. Seems debatable wether this is a firmware issue Mazda needs to address or a software issue Apple needs to address.

However, I accidentally discovered a trick that seems to improve the connection. Once your phone is recognized, use Siri. Basically just start Siri up and ask her anything. After an initial connection through Siri, it seems that the phone is paired and will dial out normally.

UPDATE

My Bluetooth connection with my 2011 CX9 and iPhone 5s is still sub-standard. Seems debatable wether this is a firmware issue Mazda needs to address or a software issue Apple needs to address.

However, I accidentally discovered a trick that seems to improve the connection. Once your phone is recognized, use Siri. Basically just start Siri up and ask her anything. After an initial connection through Siri, it seems that the phone is paired and will dial out normally.

Interesting hack! I'll be trying this tomorrow. Just to clarify, you mean that once the phone is connected and it says "Updating phonebook...." or whatever, if you hit Siri up during this it makes this process go quicker/ stop all together? That would be excellent, as the first time it connects for the day or after a few hours it takes about 30 seconds to start doing anything...

Once your phone is recognized, use Siri. Basically just start Siri up and ask her anything. After an initial connection through Siri, it seems that the phone is paired and will dial out normally.

^^ This definitely worked this morning. Once the phone was reconginzed and it states "Cannot play music while downloading phone book", I activated Siri. She comes through and the HU switches to the phone mode. Just cancel out of Siri and BOOM, it's ready to go. Saves that long waiting time of it "downloading". Great tip @pearlbeer!
(drinks)

Back