CX-5 Infotainment System is Garbage

ed_carroll

:
Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD Technology Package
So, I took delivery of my 2015 CX-5 GT AWD less than two months ago.

The navigation screen began intermittently freezing up, right away. Also, the dancing map syndrome (the map moving around beneath the vehicle icon, then instructing me to turn onto a road on which I was already traveling), and the vehicle icon spinning around while the car is stopped, as though it doesn't know from one second to the next which way it's facing. Another issue I've noticed is signal drop. After which, the signal won't resume until I've turned the car off and waited 10 seconds or more for the system to reset.

I've just visited a local, well-respected aftermarket audio dealer in my area to try to devise a plan to tackle the muddy, one-dimensional sound coming out of the Bose setup. The rep told me that Bose and Mazda went cheap, here, by not including a stand alone sub woofer. Instead, the stuffed woofers into the doors. That explains the muddy sound. Because of the 2 OHMS (for Bose) versus 4 OHMS issue, tweaking this system may end up being more complicated than I'd like.

I'm also noticing brief audio dropouts. I haven't begun to look into this, yet.

As others have noted, the iPod interface stinks. There's hardly a point to using it, when it continues to return to the first song at each start up.

For the record, I traded a 2007 Civic Si with Navigation for this vehicle. That car's iPod handling capabilities, speaker system, and easy-to-use navigation interface were far superior using technology more than 8 years old.

I can't believe that Mazda thinks this is acceptable in a vehicle costing more than 30k.

No problems with the NAV here.
Slow Infotainment start up.
IPod first song on start up stinks and Bose system is barely adequate.No audio dropouts experienced.
Rumor is there will be a firmware update this Fall or maybe available now.

Last edited:
So, I took delivery of my 2015 CX-5 GT AWD less than two months ago.

The navigation screen began intermittently freezing up, right away. Also, the dancing map syndrome (the map moving around beneath the vehicle icon, then instructing me to turn onto a road on which I was already traveling), and the vehicle icon spinning around while the car is stopped, as though it doesn't know from one second to the next which way it's facing. Another issue I've noticed is signal drop. After which, the signal won't resume until I've turned the car off and waited 10 seconds or more for the system to reset.

Update the SD card.

I've just visited a local, well-respected aftermarket audio dealer in my area to try to devise a plan to tackle the muddy, one-dimensional sound coming out of the Bose setup. The rep told me that Bose and Mazda went cheap, here, by not including a stand alone sub woofer. Instead, the stuffed woofers into the doors. That explains the muddy sound. Because of the 2 OHMS (for Bose) versus 4 OHMS issue, tweaking this system may end up being more complicated than I'd like.

I'm also noticing brief audio dropouts. I haven't begun to look into this, yet.

Muddy? No. Unless there is a real hardware issue with your system, it should sound FAR SUPERIOR compare to your Civic. Yes I know, because I have two 8thgen fully loaded Civics in the family and a 9th as well.

As others have noted, the iPod interface stinks. There's hardly a point to using it, when it continues to return to the first song at each start up.

Can't comment on that as I don't use it.

For the record, I traded a 2007 Civic Si with Navigation for this vehicle. That car's iPod handling capabilities, speaker system, and easy-to-use navigation interface were far superior using technology more than 8 years old.

Once again I beg to differ that your 07 Si's infotainment is better than the CX-5's. The infotainment is a turd in the Civic, or at least it is in the 2009 and 2010.

I can't believe that Mazda thinks this is acceptable in a vehicle costing more than 30k.

There.

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, as am I.

I'm not an audiophile, by any stretch, but I've never had this experience before. Usually, I'm content to load my stations, set my settings and forget it. I just like to hear music with some richness and clarity while driving. That was never an issue with the Civic. Now, I'm constantly adjusting the volume up and down depending on road speed, trying to tweak the settings, etc. It just doesn't sound good to me.

I remember being very impressed with the 360 watt system when I first took delivery of the Civic in 2007. Then, I just got used to it and assumed that was the norm. The CX-5's system has proven otherwise. The audio rep thought it was laughable that the premium, Bose system was lacking a stand alone sub.

For the record, I have updated the SD card and this seems to have abated some of the bugs, though not the glacial pace, of the nav system. The Gracenote update was problematic. It took three cycles before it went through.

If you're not using an iPod, great. Each time I switch to iPod mode, it's as though the system is seeing it for the first time. This is an unacceptable design flaw.

Since it was 7 1/2 years since I bought the Civic, I made the wrong assumption that newer systems, across the board, would be at least as good. I think the Bose name also helped to lull me into thinking I was getting something special.

I should have spent twenty minutes or so during the test drive and really dove into the system. That was my fault.

I had an 07 Si. That one of the few cars where Honda got the radio "right"... or at least better than most other Civic products.
What source were you listening to on the CX5? I find that non HD FM is particularly bad in this car, but the HD signal is much cleaner.

I had an 07 Si. That one of the few cars where Honda got the radio "right"... or at least better than most other Civic products.
What source were you listening to on the CX5? I find that non HD FM is particularly bad in this car, but the HD signal is much cleaner.

I usually listen to Sirius or my iPod. The difference in sound quality between the two is dramatic. This was not the case when I'd switch between XM and the iPod in the Civic. Sirius sounds like I have a transistor radio mounted to my dashboard. HD FM is just as bad.

Sadly, the Text / eMail to speech still doesn't work on my 2015 CX-5 Touring, still hoping for a firmware update soon that will fix it!! But, nothing yet :-/

I usually listen to Sirius or my iPod. The difference in sound quality between the two is dramatic. This was not the case when I'd switch between XM and the iPod in the Civic. Sirius sounds like I have a transistor radio mounted to my dashboard. HD FM is just as bad.

Sounds like you may have a problem somewhere. I'd take it in to the dealer and complain since it's under warranty. They may find something that will fix most of your issues...

They ****** up usb playback on the new models. I ended up making an mp3 cd so that I could have the old style usb playback (folder playback) and song resuming... only drawback is 700mb limit on a cd...

Because of the 2 OHMS (for Bose) versus 4 OHMS issue,

What issue?

I was told that power to the speakers are effectively reduced by half. Sound right?

Modern amps are designed to handle 2 or 1 ohms. Neither 4 or 2 ohm systems are better than the other. Its just what you need for your amp. And neither have any actual audible difference

I think there might be something wrong with your unit. HD radio is perfectly acceptable in this car, assume you are ACTUALLY getting HD. FM sans HD is unusually terrible in this car. It's really easy to confirm. Just go drive another one on the lot to test and see if it is any different. The Bose isn't terrible in this car. It's not great, but not terrible.

Modern amps are designed to handle 2 or 1 ohms. Neither 4 or 2 ohm systems are better than the other. Its just what you need for your amp. And neither have any actual audible difference

Lots of garbage amps out there nowadays that can't handle anything more than your typical 4 ohm load without serious headroom and damping issues. If the OP just wants to change speakers and keep everything else stock, going from 2 ohm to 4 ohm will effectively half his volume, assuming same efficiency ratings.

If you want to do it right, while keeping the stock head unit, you will need a signal processor driving new amp(s) and speakers. You will still have the limitations of the stock head unit, however.

All of this is true.but volume doesnt clean up muddy sound.personally id change the head unit first.if it gives me more tuning capability the better

Well, my 2cents (though we never had Bose)... I changed both the speakers and the head unit in ours to Polks + Kenwood. Frankly the sound improved slightly, but not a greatly, the muddy/booming sound is still there. In my opinion now, the chief culprit is the car itself... maybe (hopefully) just the doors. At some point I'll be adding CLD tiles as reverb mats inside the door outer skins and see if THAT helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig5JN2O_fp4

I agree the system is nothing but pure garbage I took a trip this labor day with the family and had nothing but issues and I've had revolving maps jumping roads spinning it's crazy. Garbage

All of this is true.but volume doesnt clean up muddy sound.personally id change the head unit first.if it gives me more tuning capability the better
I was hoping to improve the sound while keeping the OEM look. What about replacing the woofers in the doors with full range speakers and adding a separate sub? Shouldn't that clean it up?

You would think.but RedBaron replaced his speakers and headunit and it didnt change.but if you do stay away from anything over 3-way speakers.

Back