My Protege5 needs some work! What do you suggest?

NYCJay

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
How's it going Mazda 247, I'll start off by saying my name is Jay. I've owned a Mazda Protege5 for about a year and a half now. I've been checking the forum for a little while now. Been reading up on some suggestion upgrades. Finally decided to dive into the forum. I got my protege5 at about 138k, not running. Replaced the engine block at 138k and transmission (automatic) about 3k miles after at 141k lol. Did some maintenance/ changed some stuff, timing belt, radiator, water pump, some other things I possibly can't think of right now. Repainted the car before I started driving it. Decided to just put some money into it and keep it till it drops at this point lol. Great car for my girlfriend, she absoutely loves this car so might as well. My rear driver brake caliper is leaking so thought I might as well replace both, along with rotors and pads. Also want to go the suspension upgrade route (although not coilovers yet) and redo ignition before winter hits as well. I'm about due for a tune up again soon anyways. Would also like to have leather seats in my car lol. I also need a front grille soon. Few other things I forgot to mention that I would like to do, so I'll come back and update. So now for the pictures lol. Don't really understand the picture uploading methods lol but put a solid 2!

DSCF6739.JPGDSCF6738.JPG

I don't want covers, was wondering what ever can fit/bolt on for the seats. What I was wondering is should i stick with kybs for about 55 each? and know a good site for calipers or any other parts for that matter that's competitive with prices?

Car resides in Staten Island, but you can catch me in BK and Queens as well. Also have another question involving my rear brakes. What do you guys suggest that won't break the bank. I have one caliper leaking so I wanted to re do both since I haven't changed them since I got the car. The car was also sitting for a few years before I started to use it. (I have access to a lift and air tools so nothing would really be a hassle.) Also have a P660 and P1250 code I want to fix, VICS and Secondary shutter valve should be replaced?

Where in NY?

dude where you been lol youve been mia, and im in brooklyn as well, as far brakes go on ebay/rockauto and look for remans, DONT BUY LOCALLY lol these parts places will try to jerk you ask me how i know -__-, oh and great job on the paint did you do it yourself?

If your looking to change out both front and rear calipers, i believe if im not mistaken the Mazda 6 front calipers will work on ours. Not to sure if the rears will but i know there is a thread on it you just have to search. Also if you ever consider going with coilovers you might as well get them done now. They are pretty easy to install, just a pain removing all the interior crap in the rear! Also try and replace rear sway bar too for a big difference, ill be doing mine this weekend and it makes a big change. You can also do the normal CAI and header along with exhaust setup, but suspension is probably the best to do first. Theres tons of info on here you just need to search for what you are trying to do! :)

dude where you been lol youve been mia, and im in brooklyn as well, as far brakes go on ebay/rockauto and look for remans, DONT BUY LOCALLY lol these parts places will try to jerk you ask me how i know -__-, oh and great job on the paint did you do it yourself?

I'm kind of skeptical about buying ebay parts. Always think it's just a company making lesser quality parts and use the same brand name lol. I was thinking about getting the coil packs from autozone for $26 each. Mine have never been changed it looks like and I'm about 147k. Also do you guys use G-Power spark plugs? Wondering it over the V power ones. & Thanks on the paint, Yeah I did lol. My fathers been in the Auto Body business for over 30 years lol. I use to have before pictures but lost them when i broke the phone. Had fade and little dings, car was sitting for a few years before I decided to use it.

Also for the mazda 6 calipers, is there any benefits from doing the swap? I remember reading a bit about it. I have 16 inch rims so didn't really want to mess with it, if the rotors are bigger unless I had noticibly better braking. I dont think my front calipers need to be replaced as of now. I would love to go coilovers, cause I think both my springs and struts are shot but can't invest that kind of money into the car right now. I will be looking to see if I can get deals on the sway bars on the forum. Won't get CAI because if my girlfriend drives into a puddle I would have to kill her so I guess i'll stay stock or Short ram which ever I guess I can get better gas mileage on. I will do headers once I get a cat code lol. Thanks for all the feed back, it's greatly appreciated!

What's up...I've been ghost for a lil while, been detailing lots of cars now so time is limited

I have the MSP front calipers and slotted rotors with braided lines, nothing wrong with em, I just upgraded to a BBK, they're sitting in my garage collecting dust :_)

Hey what's up guys, So I tomorrow I'm doing my rear pads + rotors and rear driver side caliper. Along with an oil change, and got 4 new gp spark plugs. Replaced my coil packs and wireset as well. I got check engine light for p0421 p0660 and p1250 lol. I see this has been going around but whats up for that cat code? How can I check that cause I really don't want to get a cat. Going to run a multimeter on the solenoids tomorrow. Also still interested in leather seats and possibly an air intake system.

I have the MSP front calipers and slotted rotors with braided lines, nothing wrong with em, I just upgraded to a BBK, they're sitting in my garage collecting dust :_)

I'll keep that in mind!

Ya man, Rockauto. I looked into prices locally (milwaukee, WI) then on Rock and the difference was amazing. For what the store wanted to charge me for a pair of rotors I can get four and pads from Rock.

I get pretty good deals on certain parts with shop discount. Alright so I switched off the VICS Solenoid (p0660) and the PRC Solenoid (p1250). Got the VICS solenoid at a local parts store for 45$ and PRC Solenoid for $86 at Autozone lol. After fixing a ton of stuff on my p5, I'm still left with a p0421 code. I check my obd2 computer and all tests were completed so that's the only code I have left. I'm able to check live data feed on my scanner, I was checking for o2 sensors fluctuations. What range are they suppose to run in? i.e .800 or .700 etc thanks for all your help guys!

Really hoping I don't have to replace my pre-cat... I need to do emissions testing lol. Will try to clean it if i have to !

Hey Jay, I have an 03 P5. There was a recall on mine about screws working loose, I think on the shutter valve, that could end up trashing the engine. Might want to ask the dealer.

I'm replacing rear struts and am going to post for advice on what else to replace.

Hey Jay, I have an 03 P5. There was a recall on mine about screws working loose, I think on the shutter valve, that could end up trashing the engine. Might want to ask the dealer.

I'm replacing rear struts and am going to post for advice on what else to replace.

Thanks I will check that out today, I saw all 4 kyb set on amazon I believe for about $220. Also been getting heavy vibrations in my steering wheel while I'm in drive, gonna check my mounts. I'm still getting the p0421 code. What suggestions do you guys think I can do for that?? In my earlier posts I said I was reading the o2 sensors 1 and 2 but not sure what they should be running at on the norm. How can I tell if my pre-cat or cat is bad?

Back