Dented/scratched under rocker panel!

buliwyf

:
2002 Mazda Protege5, 2014 Mazda3 sedan
I was real stupid and turned too sharp from my own parking garage at work and hit a high high curb.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I know it's like lighting a couple of hundred $'s on fire.

Anyway, it's metal (a really thin sheet). The paint is scraped out.

How do I expect this to be repaired? Can a body repair guy "mold" it back to its original shape, or will he just roughly reshape it and putty it up? Or will the metal be cut and welded by a new sheet?

It has to be repainted too since bare metal is showing (thank god it's not yet winter time).

How much money do you expect I should (sadly) spend on this? BTW, this is a lease (im pretty sure my excessive wear protection doesnt cover this)

Attachments

• 20140916_121229.jpg
    20140916_121229.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 9,502
  • 20140916_123918.jpg
    20140916_123918.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 4,835
So the white is considered to be bare metal? My M3 is in a similar condition. I was hoping just by constantly washing it in the winter would help. I would have to shell out like over 1 grand to get it done by a decent place.

The white may be primer. If so, no amount of polishing will help. It won't hurt to get a quote from an auto body shop or two.

The white is probably the concrete curb that the OP scraped.

More than likely, they will pull it back into shape, spray some rocker guard and paint.

If you are handy, you could try and pull some of it out and then buy the Mazda Accessory side skirt pre painted to match and install over the area. You could do spray some rocker guard spray to keep the damage from rusting.

The white is probably the concrete curb that the OP scraped.

More than likely, they will pull it back into shape, spray some rocker guard and paint.

If you are handy, you could try and pull some of it out and then buy the Mazda Accessory side skirt pre painted to match and install over the area. You could do spray some rocker guard spray to keep the damage from rusting.

So is it likely to rust a lot quicker than the rest of the car?

For the time being, try using rubbing compound to remove as much of the white stuff as possible. Once you do, you should be able to tell if any bare metal is exposed. If there is, it will rust if not coated with something.

For the time being, try using rubbing compound to remove as much of the white stuff as possible. Once you do, you should be able to tell if any bare metal is exposed. If there is, it will rust if not coated with something.

Any specific sort of rubbing compound? And what could I coat it in? I was looking into purchasing this http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rust-check-spray-0477907p.html#.VDNGdOfdDoQ or http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/a...control/rust-check-coat-protect-0477921p.html

You might want to do a search for "How to use rubbing compound" before using it for the first time. I've used different brands and all were effective. Be gentle!
Regarding a coating, that first link you posted looks to show a good temporary coating. Just remember that preparation of the surface to be coated is critical to long-lasting protection. Any bare metal must be perfectly clean. Remember that the result may not look good, but hopefully, it'll be protected until you can have the work professionally done.

I paid a pro body guy to fix it. I rate him:

10/10 as a metal puller
10/10 as a putty/fiberglass shaper
6/10 as a paint guy

But then again, he did it in his garage/driveway not in a shop. Now I have to get the car buffed from overspray because of wind.

Re-shaping of the metal was perfect and like brand new (he used a pulling device). It's just the blending paint area and the overspray I'm not too crazy about.

your insurance could have taken care of it. that is what insurance is for, depending on what company u got it might or might not affect your rates.

I rather get it done professionally. i have seen jobs that are 10 out of 10 in paint as well

I paid a pro body guy to fix it. I rate him:

10/10 as a metal puller
10/10 as a putty/fiberglass shaper
6/10 as a paint guy

But then again, he did it in his garage/driveway not in a shop. Now I have to get the car buffed from overspray because of wind.

Re-shaping of the metal was perfect and like brand new (he used a pulling device). It's just the blending paint area and the overspray I'm not too crazy about.

sorry to interrupt and relive this message again, the same thing happened with my mazda 6 only its on the rear left side.

Would you mind telling me pro body guy that fixed our car. And also ho much did you spend during that time. Sorry the question mark on my keyboard is not functioning for some reason.

I feel so bad for myself doing this to my car, not to mention its a 2 month old brand new. Damn curb i thought its not gonna hit me anymore but it did just a few inch.

Anyway, please let me know where you had it done, it would great help and be at peace with myself. Thank you!!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    743.7 KB · Views: 715
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    940.6 KB · Views: 739
So the white is considered to be bare metal? My M3 is in a similar condition. I was hoping just by constantly washing it in the winter would help. I would have to shell out like over 1 grand to get it done by a decent place.

if your car is showing bare metal, I strongly recommend you get that fixed up or at the very least apply some sort of paint/coating over the metal to get you through the winter.

if you decide to get it fixed, I can recommend you some good body repair shops in the GTA that will get it done for a fair price.

if your car is showing bare metal, I strongly recommend you get that fixed up or at the very least apply some sort of paint/coating over the metal to get you through the winter.

if you decide to get it fixed, I can recommend you some good body repair shops in the GTA that will get it done for a fair price.
Yes please do recommend good fair body repair shops in the GTA!

Back