(Very) Detailed Comparison: 2013 Grand Touring AWD w/ Tech vs 2015 Touring AWD

SayNoToPistons

Wheels, not rims...
:
CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech, RX-8 GT 6spd w/ 'goodies'
My girlfriend traded in her CRV last month for a 2015 Touring AWD in Meteor grey. I have a 2013 GT AWD Tech and I put 22,000 miles on it since December of 2012. Since I have driven both CX-5's back to back enough to get a detailed feel of the differences, I'll be stating them in this VERY detailed comparison.

Powertrain
We'll start with the obvious and juicy part first.

2.0 SkyA-G

The 2.0 is just enough to get by. The annoyance is only at highway speeds or retaining speed up hills/bridges. I often have to step down 3 gears at ~50 mph to pass. Local driving, the 2.0 has adequate power band as the snappy transmission cycles through the lower gears. Efficiency is where the 2.0 will beat the 2.5. Yes, I know the EPA ratings are about 1-2mpg less with the 2.5, but being light footed with the engines will increase the gap further. The 2.0 will easily average 4-5 MPG better than the 2.5 if one decides to carefully hypermileage them. For a route I regularly take that involves ~4mi stop and go city local and ~22mi 50MPH limit highway, I can hypermileage a whopping average of 40 (and up) MPG easily with my 2.0.

2.5 SkyA-G

Within a year of release, 2.5L SkyA-G became standard with the 2014 Touring/GT, providing almost 25% bump in HP and TQ. In my gf's 2015 2.5 Touring, bump in power is noticeable. From a stop, the throttle is more sensitive given the extra 35 lb-ft of torque. Other than the throttle sensitivity, there isn't much of a significant difference in around town driving. I suppose that is because the 2.0 was up to task with the combination of good gearing and quick shifting. Highway passing and speed maintaining is where the 2.5 really shines. Instead of planning a gap to pass and down shifting more than 2 gears to pass, the 2.5 simply inspires confidence. No fear of getting your s*** pushed in when passing at 50mph into a lane going 60+mph. It will not abruptly lose speed or downshift to a gear lower than 5th to maintain highway speeds up a grade either. Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, it does take a hit in MPG. Doing the same route I get 40+ MPG in with my 2.0, I was only able to get 34 and 35 mpg in the same conditions (wind speed/direction and temp) while hypermileaging.

*Keep in mind that the 2.5 Touring AWD w.o. Tech pack can weigh up to 100 lbs less than the 2.0 GT AWD w/ Tech. That could play a roll in acceleration.*

Drivetrain

Surprisingly, even though the 2013 2.0 and 2015 2.5 share the SAME components, there is still a comparison. This is what surprised me the most.

As all of us with the 2013 2.0 already know, the transmission is very responsive and quick shifting. Great comfort and drivability thanks to it's activation of its torque converter at a dig, while it lock ups and allows the wet clutch pack to take over the rest. It is quick to downshift to the PERFECT gear as well. Though I have noticed that the transmission slips its wet clutch a fraction of a second too long prior to locking during up shifts. For those with a 2013 AT, look carefully at the tachometer when the transmission upshifts. It will shift, but you can tell that the wet clutch slips before locking the RPM. The RPM will go down right after a shift, but will go down further and stabilize when the clutch locks. All this happens within a fraction of a second, a fraction of a second too long in my opinion. I assume this was programmed for comfort during upshifts, but I think Mazda could have match the RPM's during up shifts better and lock up quicker instead of relying on a clutch slip for comfort. It would contribute to snappy shifts we all love about modern DCT's. No complaints about downshifts with the 2013 as it is direct quicker than any conventional AT.

In the 2015 2.5, there is a slight difference in shifting. The tach shows the RPM's matching and locking a bit quicker in between shifts. In other words, it is shifting quicker. The shifts are somewhat smoother. I can hear the engine closing throttle more effectively and matching the RPM's better during upshifts. Downshifts are similar to the 2013 CX-5, but better RPM match resulting in less jerking when downshifting from 2-1. Who does that anyways?...

There must be a change in software between the two years that improved shifting quality. I wonder if this could be applied to the 2013 by Mazda? I haven't looked at TSB's lately.

Comfort/Handling

We all know the CX-5 handles at the top of its class. Driving like a much smaller and sportier car, it inspires confidence. Precise steering with great response through the wheel (even though it's EPS), and the chassis is similarly communicative and accurate. I find myself plowing through corners much quicker than I have any right to in a CUV (or any car). "Stiff" is not the right word to use for its ride, as the word "taut" better describes it. There is no extra bound/rebound after going over bumps. It settles just as nice and firm going through corners as it does on highway. This applies to both the 2015 Touring and my 2013 GT with different wheels/tires and weight.

I did however notice a difference at the limit between my 2013 GT versus the 2015 Touring. Keep in mind that this is at its absolute limit where the suspension and tires reach their ultimate grip levels as I felt and heard. With my '13 GT I can trail brake into a corner allowing weight transfer to minimize factory understeer, dialing the front exactly where I want in preparation for mid-corner. At mid-corner I will have neutral balance with no brake or throttle input as I wait for the front to nearly point in the direction I wait for mid-corner exit. I then gradually throttle out of the corner with the front and rear tucked neatly. With the '15 Touring, trail braking it did create weight transfer, but it had little effect on planting the front and rear the way I wanted to. Therefore, the corner entry understeer could not be eliminated. Any brake or throttle input at late mid-corner exit would result in understeer as well. This could be the difference in tires (Yoko Geolander G91A vs Toyo A23), wheel diameter/weight, and perhaps some minor updates in suspension tuning in the 2 year difference.

Exterior

Different headlight projectors (and shrouds) because of my tech pack bi-xenons. They updated the mirror for 2015 with the LED strip that runs from the side to the front so it can be viewed at a wider angle. I believe the most important detail of the 2015 mirror is the upside down spoiler molded under the mirror. It is creating lift and does apply upward pressure to the housing of the mirror. The angle of attack is relatively high, but drag shouldn't be an issue being that it is only about 5 inches in length. The lift created is most likely a component to stabilize the mirror housing, eliminating the vibration issues we had in the previous models. The mirror glass itself is also less recessed into the housing, allowing slightly more visibility.

Headlights in the Touring w.o. Tech are halogen projectors with foglights. They're good for what they are as halogens. My GT Tech pack's bi-xenon's provide much more usable light, sharper cut off, and a significantly wider projection.

2015 Mirror
attachment.php

attachment.php

Interior

2014 added Pandora and two silver stripes in between buttons to the headunit. 2014.5 swapped the gated AT shifter to a button locking shifter that rows up and down. The new shifter has a different knob, base of the shifter's trim has a metallic finish to it, and the selected gear is now indicated with LED indicators. I prefer the new shifter because I dislike the cheap looking black plastic base of the old and the lack of gear indicator. This is subjective of course. None the less, both shifters have good feedback when selecting gears. All "shnick shnick" rowing instead of the nasty flimsy rubbery notches of American shifters. Probably doesn't matter to most with AT.

2015 Shifter:
attachment.php

Seat/Door upholstery

My gf's 2015 Touring has the black "upgraded cloth seats". They feel fine and hold your body better when cornering compared to leather. They lack power lumbar and heat compared to the GT. The Touring door panels are lined with cloth instead of soft vinyl in the GT. I noticed the door armrests are completely different materials. My 2013 GT has soft plushy vinyl armrests with quality stitching. My gf's 2015 Touring has a harder armrest lined with low quality vinyl that feels almost like paper. Can anyone comment on this with a Touring?

HVAC

The manual HVAC controls in the Touring look flimsy with all the plastic. The knobs are slightly creaky and the feedback for the vent position knob could be better. GT's dual zone auto HVAC comes with a good display and the metal plated knobs feel substantial with great clicky feedback. This almost led to my gf purchasing a GT instead of a Touring just because she couldn't stand looking at the cheap HVAC controls.

Audio

Her Touring came with a non-Bose 6 speaker audio system. A "step-up" from the Sport's 4 speakers. It is quite disappointing. Enough so that her family criticized about it. The lows are boomy even at 0 setting for bass, the highs are shrill but have little to no clarity. My biggest complaints are the highs as they seem to roll off, leading to absent vocals and instruments that would fall in that frequency. Increasing the setting for treble does not benefit it as it only adds to harshness. In other words, the highs suck, the lows suck, and it is something we may need to address.

The Bose in the GT is actually better than most say it is. It may be lacking low frequency sub-bass that most obsess about, but it does not try to push/fake itself to boominess in order to substitute for a subwoofer. Mids and highs are very well balanced. Good definition and clarity in the highs, and the mids are pronounced in warm detail. I was never a fan of Bose as they're mostly just marketing hype, but for the price, it is well balanced if one adds a subwoofer to the system (which I will).

Summary

As you can probably tell. The extra money for the Grand Touring vs Touring does add equipment. Same with the Tech Pack. Whether or not that price premium is justified for each individual is subjective. I cannot remember the exact price difference especially considering our previous trade-ins and different dealers. Though it shouldn't matter as price vary from state to state, and dealer to dealer. The two year difference also brought upon a new powertrain (which was effective since 2014 actually) and quicker transmission tuning, but a few minor miscellaneous equipments were changed for the better as well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 804470_10152718633811310_535120383_n.jpg
    804470_10152718633811310_535120383_n.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,267
  • 10668245_10152718634026310_809815956_n.jpg
    10668245_10152718634026310_809815956_n.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,212
  • 10695340_10152718634141310_267816309_n.jpg
    10695340_10152718634141310_267816309_n.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,220
  • 10637731_10152669631131310_371885210_n.jpg
    10637731_10152669631131310_371885210_n.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,237
  • 10617555_10152669631341310_1728025348_n.jpg
    10617555_10152669631341310_1728025348_n.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 1,220
Last edited:
Great write up and info. I'd be interested to hear (pun intended) if there is a difference in wind noise inside the cabin based on the different mirrors.

LOL. Unfortunately I cannot comment on the difference in wind noise between the two, especially the mirrors. Both have same level of wind noise and I never had an issue with mirror wind noise for my 2013 CX-5. There is no noticeable difference in road noise other than slight variation in tire noise tone. That may be due to the different tread pattern and interior volume of the 17" vs 19" tires.

It sounds like the mod to the mirrors was only to help the vibration. My 2015 has the older mirrors, and no vibration, thank goodness!

Howdy SNTP,

Thanks so much for the very detailed report, I'm waiting in the wings
to pick up either a 2015 orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr a 2016 GT AWD. So, I was very
interested in your thoughts and the information. Sounds like things are
moving along nicely for the upgrades and good to know about the differences
of the two different trim levels.

Thanks Again !!!!

Take Care,

CK

SayNotoPistons - Nice comparison, based on some real seat time in both versions. Should be helpful to shoppers of both new and used CX-5's.

As you said well regarding the 2.5L (vs. 2.0L), "No fear of getting your s*** pushed in when passing at 50mph into a lane going 60+mph. It will not abruptly lose speed or downshift to a gear lower than 5th to maintain highway speeds up a grade either." I had the same concerns with the only adequately-powered 2.0L in my 2013. I learned to decline attempts at many passing situations in fast moving traffic, manuvers that could easily be accomplished by my other vehicles. In fast moving California traffic, the limited power at high speeds required extra caution for safety.

Yes.

"2014.5 swapped the gated AT shifter to a button locking shifter that rows up and down."

The new shifter design and surrounding bezel are hideous. It isn't that I prefer the gated design, necessarily, but the new setup looks insanely cheap, and an aesthetic downgrade. Ugly knob doesn't help either.

You're one of the (very) few that share that opinion, and ya'll are entitled to it since it is subjective.

I think the 2013-2014 shifter looks cheap with all the black plastic. I even get questioned from passengers asking if the shift knob is missing something on the black plastic center. The entire plastic bezel actually moves if touched. I don't mind the gated shift, but the lack of gear indicator, flimsy black plastic, and ugly shift knob really kills it. The 2014.5-2015 shifter bezel is metal plated to match the door trim, the gear indicator is bright and clear, and the knob feels more substantial and premium.

199399.jpg

Last edited:
Good write-up and very thorough! It's interesting to see someone else's point of view on this from someone who owns both. I drove a Sport for 28k and now have a Touring with 34k and agree with most of what you wrote. A couple of things I will note my opinion/experience on is that the power and economy will improve significantly on that new engine. At first I had the same opinion as you and thought there wasn't a huge difference. Now I know that the 2.5 engine is much quicker than the 2.0 and the gas mileage I'm getting now is within 1 mpg of what I was getting with my Sport with 34k miles (compare then in my fuelly). My driving habbits are the same and I do apply very basic hypermiling techniques? When I test drove a brand new 2.0 back to back with my broken in 2.0 Sport I noticed that my broken in 2.0 engine was noticeably more peppy.

My Sport 2.0 felt somewhat more neutral in handling with better transient behavior but I only noticed it right after I switched to the Touring and it was so close that some may never notice. I think your experience could have something to do with the different tires too as you noted. Different tires can make a big difference in the way a car drives and feels on the road. Tires have the most impact on ride and handling for any one single component. Both my sport and Touring have the same size and brand 17" tires and wheels.

You're spot on about the 6 speaker system because it definitely needs improvement.

I hope you follow up with this after you have at least 10,000 miles on the new Touring. Unlike me you'll be able to do a direct comparison and not have to rely on a fading memory.

Thanks a lot for the great review.

Not quite 25% increase in HP/Torque between the 2.0L and 2.5L. Its more like 17%. Definitely a nicer increase to have on this type of vehicle which is why I went for the GT. I'd skip the Tech Pack if I could do it again (expect for the Bi-Xenons!).

I hope you follow up with this after you have at least 10,000 miles on the new Touring. Unlike me you'll be able to do a direct comparison and not have to rely on a fading memory.

Thanks a lot for the great review.

You're welcome. The '15 has only ~2000 miles on it now. I will definitely follow up once it is beyond its "break in" period.

Not quite 25% increase in HP/Torque between the 2.0L and 2.5L. Its more like 17%. Definitely a nicer increase to have on this type of vehicle which is why I went for the GT. I'd skip the Tech Pack if I could do it again (expect for the Bi-Xenons!).

I was going for torque figures for the most part. It is ~23% increase from 150 to 185 at a lower RPM as well. I consider that more important than the 18.7% jump in HP from 155 to 184 due to the fact that low end torque is more usable than HP on a daily basis.

Last edited:

A bigger factor is where the torque is located.
The 2.0 torque peak is 4000rpm while the 2.5 torque peak is 3250rpm.
To see why that is significant compare the Honda CRV that has same displacement/hp (2.5L/185HP) as CX-5, but CRV has torque peak of 4000rpm. The CX-5 is a full second faster 0-60mph than the CRV! The torque's area under the curve across RPM band is why the CX-5 is so much quicker.

(drive2)

Last edited:
Nothing was mentioned about torque peak in the OP, just the overall number difference with a percentage. The AWD 2.5 is 185 torque @ 4000 RPM, the FWD is 185 @ 3250 RPM.

Hmm, when I test drove the 2.5, it seemed that manual shifting (which I do often) was about half a second slower; however I do use a sri and freer flowing exhaust, so that could be the difference. I will be using them on the 2.5 as well.

Can't imagine an SRI and cat-back to change much if anything at all.

I'll be getting a CorkSport SRI to try myself soon. Always been curious how it sounds with the catback section removed. Probably like turd. Every 2.0 SkyA-G sounds horrid even with an aftermarket cat-back.

Thanks for the detailed write up with your unique situation, well done [emoji106]
I'd skip the Tech Pack if I could do it again (expect for the Bi-Xenons!).
You can get bi-xenons without the
tech package? The only reason I got the tech was FOR the bi-xenons. I can change or mod other things I don't like.

I have a 2014 CX-5 touring...with old style mirrors. I was considering replacing with new style to reduce wind noise. I drove a new 2015 GT with new style mirrors and there was less wind noise, it seemed. I believe you mentioned that you couldn't tell any difference? Is that correct?

Back