Thinking of buying an old miata

I also own a Mazda 2, though mine has numerous mods and I agree it is great fun to drive. I use it as a DD and a track car, and I often think how unfortunate it is that Americans are so absolutely obsessed with big power that they completely dismiss these small nimble cars. As professional mechanic I am surrounded by car guys but they have 0 interest in the 2, however if I showed up with a blower sticking out of the hood they would be all over it.

Ok the Miata --- I just purchased a 96 Miata M with 43k on the clock, the following were my requirements in order of importance. I do not know ware you live so item one may not apply. As far as Miata specific concerns there are others on this forum that would be able to help more than I.

1 - rust free, a rusty car is a dying car, once it starts there is no practical way to stop it. Do not make the mistake of seeing no rust on a walk around and assume the car is rust free, you need a lift and a good light. The bottom of the car is full of seems, brackets and alignment holes that will trap dirt and moisture promoting rust.

2- damage, all cars but especially low cars like the Miata are susceptible to under car damage from apron and curb strikes. Especially check the unit body floor pan stiffener channels also called frame rails, the first Miata I looked at must have been driven by Bo and Luke Duke as the stiffeners were unbelievably mashed and deformed.

3- If you plan to tinker and track the car a 95 or older will keep you away from the restraints of OBD 2. Unfortunately living in the northeast I had to accept OBD 2 to in order to meet items 1 and 2.

The old Miatas were the lightest
Very early cars had some crankshaft issues
Some issues with hydraulic clutch components
Personally I loath electronic driver aids, an older car will exempt you from TPMS, DSC and in some cases ABS. You may want ABS but I'm guessing you already know what a pain DSC is.

Back