How are you washing/cleaning your roof

:
2012 Mazda5 Touring
I like washing/waxing the car once, and weekly quick detail it, and not wash for 24 months or so. Parked inside, stays clean, no issues.

How are you guys keeping your roof clean? Ladder? Opening door and standing on side?

I have seen those long handle brushes..but they could hit the car and scratch it up

THoughts?

I use the long handle brush. Open rear doors and you can stand on the door sills.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Last edited:
Yeah I have been doing the standing on door sills

Okay will get a long handle.

I think that is the quickest way. You can get a step ladder too if you don't want to stand on the door sills.

How do you deal after rains(admittedly rare) ? Quick detail only?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

I don't venture out in any of my cars/bikes if there is any rain/hint of rain.

If I left a car at airport uncovered (rare) and it rains, youc an QD it and it works. Given all the built up of wax....its really easy. 10min, no washig, car looks good as new. WHereas my neighbors are continously washing, leaving scratch marks all over their cars

I have a step ladder..but the issue is.... its not high enough...and I don't want to accidently get scratches on the side.

After 3 years, it still looks new. I had used a folding chair previously...

Yeah I wax it too and I do sometimes qd after a rain or wash, depending on how bad. I don't like to go out in the rain and avoid it unless have to.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

Wal-Mart wash mop for me or you can get the fancy boars hair mop from groits ($100?). Mop works great! I use it on the Fit too but I don't mind swirls.

Moving around with a stool to wash a Mz5 sounds silly (waaay too much effort) to me.

Wal-Mart wash mop for me or you can get the fancy boars hair mop from groits ($100?). Mop works great! I use it on the Fit too but I don't mind swirls.

You need a mop for a Fit?? Are you 2 feet tall? :D Sorry my POS MZ5 aint worth a $100 mop.

Moving around with a stool to wash a Mz5 sounds silly (waaay too much effort) to me.

Which is why I wash every 2.5 years :D

Well I wash her about once every 2 weeks, she sits out side :( and hate driving a dirty car. But I like my mz5, so I try to keep her clean.

Mine gets washed every week because it also sits outside and anyone who knows Claremont knows how many f'ing damn trees there is with birds and squirrels living in them. I'd love to climb up the tree and take a mean ass dump on their nest or sleeping place see how those f'ers like it. Anyway, end of rant. I usually just take it to the wash bay and pressure wash it down with just water and then dry it because it never really gets that dirty. Occasionally I may have to use the soft brush but not often.

I would reach over with my microfiber dreadlock sponge and do one half, go to the other side and do the other half. Rinse and repeat.

You need a mop for a Fit?? Are you 2 feet tall? :D Sorry my POS MZ5 aint worth a $100 mop.
LOL. Has nothing to do with need, it's all about want. Think of the wing span of a midget compared to a seven footer - taller person covers more area. Now midget + 7 ft poll, game changes :D. If you have a half decent spong, the stick will help accelerate the process bc you can cover more per stroke. I only discovered the marvels of a wash mop bc of the Mz5. Hell, I would use it on my next Miata! I wouldn't advise it on a garage queen but for a daily workhorse, it is da'bomb. Wallyworld mop is like $15ish bucks.

Last edited:
What's the average height of a 5 owner here? I'm 6'1" and have no trouble reaching the roof to clean. I've also single-handedly lifted tandem kayaks onto the rack (though I'm lucky I didn't pull a back muscle).

OT: As I tend to be proportionately taller in the torso than legs, I have my seat adjusted to the second to last click on the rail. So leg room isn't a problem. I do have the seat cranked to the lowest height level, and don't have to use the visor much because the roofline usually blocks the sun. I find the short length of the seat cushion to lack good thigh support, but maybe that's because as the seat is cranked to a lower height, it seems to drop the front instead of the rear and front evenly.

Back