Belt issues or possible pulley issues

Jmalcolm

:
Mazda protege5
So I've had my protege5 since June and I've put 2 serpintine belts it was squeeling and it was all chopped up so I replaced it last week, the belt is new and it's tight and it's still squeeling! I need help! I checked all my pulleys and nothing was seized and I wasn't forcing anything to move... And my belt wasn't worn on the sides at all indicating an alignment issue, but the old belt was shredding and you can see little pieces of it all over my engine Bay what is causing this!? Any help would be great full!

CAREFULLY listen at each pulley accessory with a socket extension with engine running to see if a bearing is going bad.

With the belt off - can you turn each pulley by hand?

Amount of play (pull out/push in on each pulley.

p-funk has the way to do it follow his instructions and check all the pulleys one must be bad if it is eating belts in that fashion

CAREFULLY listen at each pulley accessory with a socket extension with engine running to see if a bearing is going bad.

With the belt off - can you turn each pulley by hand?

Amount of play (pull out/push in on each pulley.

So with my belt off I can move each pulley by hand my alternator pulley makes the slightest squeak it's a new alternator that I put on in June would that be the source of my problem?

Make sure the pulleys are clean. You may have to scrape the glazed rubber out of the grooves. Also the alternator should not make any noise especially when you turn it by hand.

Well after weeks of being busy last night I finally got around to working on the car and pulled the alternator out to find that it was coated in rubber for belt and that the pulley was squeeking indicating that bearing went so I went and got a new alternator under warrenty put it in and solved my problem!

cool, glad you got it solved, working at autozone i get people in with belt issues on many cars and it tends to be either the tensioner/idler or alternator the most when it is a pulley issue

Well after weeks of being busy last night I finally got around to working on the car and pulled the alternator out to find that it was coated in rubber for belt and that the pulley was squeaking indicating that bearing went so I went and got a new alternator under warranty put it in and solved my problem!

Make sure sure your belts are tightened correctly,... Too tight and you wreck your new alt. bearing,... Too loose and she squeals (that's what she said),...

Back