Which coilovers to choose from?

stivine6

:
2001 Mazda Protege ES
Hey guys,

I'm starting to look into coilovers and i've read a bunch of threads/reviews. Every coil over has both positive and negative reviews but what are you guys using?

Some choices i have narrowed it down to are

BC coilovers
K-Sport (comes with rear camber adjustment)???
Tein SS super street (have to use stock mounts)??

All are roughly about the same price. I daily my car so ride quality is important (probably go with lower spring rates or whatever it comes with from factory). Easy access to rebuild here in Toronto would be a bonus. K-sport seems like a pretty good deal since it comes with rear camber adjustment. Does Tein ss come with rear camber adjustment as well?

Did you guys need adjustable end links? I'm not going slammed. Right now im on Tein S-tech springs so lowered 2" in the front and 1.5"ish rear. I want to stiffen the rear and lower it to about 2".

Let me know what you guys think

- thanks!

Last edited:
i can only give accurate feedback on the yellowspeed coilovers because that's what i have currently and the only types i've ever used... seem to be fine for my DD, never had any problems. no camber plates in the rear though. they are slotted back there though so i still have 2-3 deg neg camber so i don't scrape (im running 17x7 +48 with 215/45s - not slammed at all just lowered to eliminate wheel gap but i run a high offset so thats why i need camber)
i always hear good things about bc, and same with k-sport. i think it pretty much comes down to price when you choose. i have heard that tein ss are better for autocross, but once again i have no experience with any of these, just from doing the same research you've been doing when i was purchasing my coilovers.

what i can say is that you will most likely need adjustable endlinks in the rear... a prime option would be AWR... since you're doing your suspension and want to stiffen up the rear end, upgrade your rear sway bar... AWR has a nice package which will give you the sway bar and adjustable end links, i did that when installing my coilovers
for the front, i still have stockers... well actually, 2002 ford escape front endlinks (much beefier) and am lowered ~2" up there and didn't need adjustables... it would be smart to do though.

i can only give accurate feedback on the yellowspeed coilovers because that's what i have currently and the only types i've ever used... seem to be fine for my DD, never had any problems. no camber plates in the rear though. they are slotted back there though so i still have 2-3 deg neg camber so i don't scrape (im running 17x7 +48 with 215/45s - not slammed at all just lowered to eliminate wheel gap but i run a high offset so thats why i need camber)
i always hear good things about bc, and same with k-sport. i think it pretty much comes down to price when you choose. i have heard that tein ss are better for autocross, but once again i have no experience with any of these, just from doing the same research you've been doing when i was purchasing my coilovers.

what i can say is that you will most likely need adjustable endlinks in the rear... a prime option would be AWR... since you're doing your suspension and want to stiffen up the rear end, upgrade your rear sway bar... AWR has a nice package which will give you the sway bar and adjustable end links, i did that when installing my coilovers
for the front, i still have stockers... well actually, 2002 ford escape front endlinks (much beefier) and am lowered ~2" up there and didn't need adjustables... it would be smart to do though.

Thanks for the input there man. Im running 17x7 also but +42 in the rear with no camber and +34 in the front (8mm spacers added). I rub ever so slightly when i have people in the back. But i just got some camber bolts to fix that problem and will probably use that with the coilovers ill buy for added camber. Im leaning towards BC it seems to have pretty decent reviews and for the price it seems promising. Yellowspeed is another option but i haven't really heard much about the company or where to get them rebuilt later on.

I heard adjustable endlinks are needed if you lower it a lot.. i got a lot of time to do my research so im not in a rush or anything but i want to gather everything piece i need. I would of considered the sway bar upgrade but for $395... i'm not quite ready to dump that much + coilovers.

This is how my pro currently sits +34 in the front, the rear is +42 so i would like to lower it another half an inch at least and have stiffer springs so i dont feel like im bottoming out with passengers.
pro1_zps876f96ce.jpg

I'm running Fortune Auto's 500 series coilovers. So far has been great I don't mind the stiffness of the ride but I'm running 10k fronts and 8k rears. I'm sure if you were to go with a 6k front and 4 k rear it would good for the type of ride your looking for.

Frank u know my car and how it rides. Id also talk to Eric about his coils. I think they were bc's iirc

I ran JIC-Magic FLTA2s for years. Fun at the track and the build quality was there, but the ride on the street was so stiff I went thru HID ballasts and tooth fillings.
Spring rates were 6k/4k, but there's more to ride quality then just spring rates.

I'm running Fortune Auto's 500 series coilovers. So far has been great I don't mind the stiffness of the ride but I'm running 10k fronts and 8k rears. I'm sure if you were to go with a 6k front and 4 k rear it would good for the type of ride your looking for.

Frank u know my car and how it rides. Id also talk to Eric about his coils. I think they were bc's iirc

I was also thinking about fortune coilovers but just too $$$. Next time take me for a spin I've actually never riden in a car with coilovers before. I talked to Eric also he said the ride is stiff but he also adjusted it to be that way. BCs are at the top of the list right now. I should be fine with stock endlinks?

I ran JIC-Magic FLTA2s for years. Fun at the track and the build quality was there, but the ride on the street was so stiff I went thru HID ballasts and tooth fillings.
Spring rates were 6k/4k, but there's more to ride quality then just spring rates.

Sound painful haha. I've never heard of those before. I was thinking about getting the coilovers locally I know a shop that will rebuild it later on if I need too.

I also found out about yellowspeed coilovers. They seem just like BC

I am going to be selling a set of pretty much brand new BC's in a few day's if you would be interested.

At the price point and for the type of coilovers you are looking for its pretty much all the same stuff. I have a friend who is sponsored by BC Racing and uses a set in his time attack Celica and has done well with them. I also know multiple Protege guys that have or did run them in autox and time attack and they do the trick, especially cause your just going for the benefits of lowering the car mostly. Unless your willing to shell out big money, just go with the company that has a good reputation. The BC stuff seems reliable, the guys are easy and nice to deal with so I would recommend those.

Back