Won't Turn Over

mgoons19

:
2001 Mazda Protege MP3
Me and my buddy have been trying to fix my protege for quite some time now but it wont turn over. When we turn the key on the fuel pump doesnt make a noise and when you crank the key we get no spark from the plugs but once I stop turning the key we get a spark. We think it may be an ECU problem since it was a bit damp where the ECU was stored... but we are not too sure if anyone can give some info on this problem it would be great. (Also the problem started when i staled out idling at a stop light and the fuse for the temp gauge blew out)

I am assuming you mean the ENGINE fuse in the cabin. This can be caused by a short in the o2 sensors or temp gauge. Be sure that the fuse still isnt blown, and do not jump the fuse, findout if the circuit is still good. A multimeter or test light can tell you if there is power in the circuit.

The o2 sensor was touching the block and burned through the wires and once i discovered this the car wouldnt start up again. However, I have had some issues idling and sometimes while accelerating it doesnt feel like the engine is getting enough gas. Maybe it is the CKP sensor? I replaced the ECU and it wasnt that and we have new spark plugs and coils on right now and still nothing

The o2 sensor was touching the block and burned through the wires and once i discovered this the car wouldnt start up again. However, I have had some issues idling and sometimes while accelerating it doesnt feel like the engine is getting enough gas. Maybe it is the CKP sensor? I replaced the ECU and it wasnt that and we have new spark plugs and coils on right now and still nothing

once you discovered the o2 sensor it WOULDNT start up?? have you installed aftermarket headers? I am assuming you may have since the o2 sensor is touching the block, in that case you either have a MIL light or post-cat o2 sensor delete on your headers. If you have the 2nd o2 sensor removed that can cause funny idle problems. If you do not have aftermarket headers and still have stock exhaust, be sure the o2 sensor is sending out correct voltages to the ecu, use a scantool or oscilloscope to test this; since the o2 sensor was shorted out. Check all of your other fuses as well and be sure all connections are good and your battery has clean terminals and at 12.6V

ok we got it running again, the cam shaft position sensor wires were rotted out and we fixed that connection but now its running very lean. I assume because of the missing o2 sensor but it could be a number of things

yes most likely, also a shakey idle can be caused. I can make you a o2 sensor simulator or you can try and buy one online, not sure if they are completely illegal now. you can also find the basic circuit online to build yourself. white wire is circuit ground, blue is signal ground, and there is an ignition power source for the circuit in the fuse block under the hood, its the bottom right pin of the top left connection.

or you can try, but it never works, the spark plug non-fouler trick, google it.

Back