Huge cloud of white smoke every morning

wjhallmark6

:
Mazda Protege5
Hey all,

I have a 2002 protege5 and every morning when i fire it up i have a white cloud fly out my tail pipe. It's just one cloud, and only in the morning; every other time during the day when I start it, no cloud of smoke.

My local mechanic said that it could be an issue with my valve pipe? I've also been told it could be an issue with my catalytic converter (which was replaced two weeks ago... both of them haha) or a head gasket.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

do you notice any loss of coolant? if so you may have a bad head gasket. has it overheated anytime before the smoke started? blue smoke would indicate oil burning but white would indicate coolant or another issue.

Most likely a little oil leaking down into the cylinder from the valve seals, it could be the HG but the car would start to overheat and run poorly.

Valve seals. Common problem with this POS engine. I have it too. Better keep an eye on your oil level.

thats crazy you call it a POS engine, my protege5 has been in the family since early 05 and its been a great car all around

I have not fixed it. It's just a known problem.

It only gets worse with time. But if you don't mind pouring oil in every couple hundred miles, it could go for a long time.

I was just thinking, maybe all this oil burning is why my mileage has increased over the last year. It's like having more fuel.

POS ENGINE? Mine has 402,000km on the original engine and I don't burn oil. Regular maintenance is all these motors really need.

exactly, i have almost 158,000 miles on mine and she does not burn or leak a drop of oil nor any other fluids. it has been a great car and very very reliable all i ever really have to do is routine maintenance and seal replacement as they age and wear out

No, I have not.

It's not just me, there are many complaints about the oil burning on this forum.

I take issue with this engine because it is underpowered, inefficient, burns and leaks oil, and has a terrible management system that causes pinging, bad idle, and inconsistent power. Honestly, I think my engine is just going to blow up one day on the freeway after I get tired of shoving oil down its gullet.

No, I have not.

It's not just me, there are many complaints about the oil burning on this forum.

I take issue with this engine because it is underpowered, inefficient, burns and leaks oil, and has a terrible management system that causes pinging, bad idle, and inconsistent power. Honestly, I think my engine is just going to blow up one day on the freeway after I get tired of shoving oil down its gullet.
a937a0c4038de5d6674e95ab1b9f5f25.jpg

Chapter 4-6 title: before you drive your mazda .

How you know the first owner follow these instruction?

Could these be why some of us here report no oil burning?

Am no engineer but these instruction must be there for a reason and they also happen to let us know the adverse effect if we **** up.

These instruction are in all new cars and motorcycle. Many cycle even require a 600 miles oil change to flush out the aluminium and metal parts.

And how do you know the old owner never missed an oil change before he sold it to you?

Last edited:
I don't know any of those things. But neither does anybody know those things about any used car. Yet there are millions of high mileage used cars out there that don't burn oil. It did not burn oil when I bought it.

Again, burning oil is a common problem with this engine (some say right from the dealership!). Don't take my word for it, search the forum. Maybe you guys are lucky? Maybe there was a bad batch of parts? I don't know, but there is most certainly a problem that should not exist on this vintage. It isn't 1965.

My P5 has never burned oil. It has only leaked oil when the valve cover bolts loosened to the point they weren't even finger tight. Oil then dripped down the side of the engine and baked, so I guess you could say it was "burning oil" at that point. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, I have not.

I have the same issue and have very seriously thought the same thing.

I know this is old but found it pretty funny as this is exactly what happned to mine

Was on the way home with wife following in the mazda 3 we had just bought when it coughed up a rod. It had already spun a bearing and was trying to get it home. Was gona rebuild with goodies but went with Honda instead

Back