exhaust s-pipe: what is this threaded bolt hole for?

I got my car back from some service and noticed a place something could be bolted to, on the stock s-pipe, but nothing is. it's on the bottom of the s-pipe, right before the j-pipe (down pipe) and sticks out and is the size of a fat thumb. What, if anything, is bolted to this? I am guessing possibly a support bracket from the engine block? Sorry if i got these pipe names wrong, i'm trying to learn as i go
View attachment Missing support bracket- protege.pdf

Yes, that's exactly what it's there for. The stock setup has a small bracket that bolts to the front of the block to support the weight of the cast manifold and turbo sitting on top of it.

It's obviously not essential, but probably helps with minimizing stress on the manifold. Stock manifolds crack all the time, and they're much more likely to do so without the support.

I would replace that, it probably helps keep the manifold from cracking if anything. I believe the regular Protege uses the same bracket.

Thanks KF and HF for confirming my suspicions.
I'm now on the hunt for that part and will put a new thread in the wanted section soon. It's not in any catalogs and maybe came w/ the S-pipe which is no longer available.

I don't think it is unique to the MSP, I believe the regular pro has the same bracket to support the first cat.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the NA Proteges also have it.. stop by a local junk yard and take a peak under one of the regular 2.0L Proteges.

Back