What do you do in Winter (if you have winter)?

cybercruiser

Contributor
:
2015 CX-5 Touring 2.5L FWD
For those of you with Miatas in colder climates where you have snow, how do you handle that??

I live in NE Ohio, so, at least for three months out of the year, snowy roads is a concern.

I'm very interested in the 2016 Miata, will know more after tonight's unveiling, of course.

But, I know the Miata would be a lousy car to drive in the snow, so, Dec, Jan and Feb become risky here.

The best solution I can think of so far, although kind of expensive, is rent storage for the Miata for those three months and rent a car for those three months. It'd cost approx $2,100 for the three months of storage and a rental. But, then I'd enjoy the other nine months, with just the Miata in my garage.

How do you current Miata owner's handle the snowy months??

miata is an awesome car in the snow, as long as you have a good set of snow tires. i daily drive my 2011 with a set of dedicated snow tires, and its the most fun i've ever had driving in the winter.

Ever since I had my first front wheel drive, how well they get around in the snow, I've always said I'd never own a back wheel drive car as long as I live in Ohio. But, I did think, maybe with snow tires, and I believe I saw somewhere that the Miata has a limited slip rear-end, that, along with a 70lb bag of sand in the trunk, it might at least get around enough to get me to work and back. I'd probably still have my CX-5 for any winter trips.

i run mine with no sand, and leave the TCS/DSC on. i have a full set of 4 General Altimax Artics, and the car is near unstoppable and predictable as long as i dont drive like an ass.

True, I suppose Traction Control has come a long way since the old days. My last rear-wheeler would have been a 1977 Ford Maveric. It didn't too bad with snow tires on the back, and regular tires on the front. I assume now-a-days, we'd put the modern winter tires all around, not just the back.

its called the "Suspension Package", but yes. My car is a 2011 Retractable hard top, Grand Touring with premium package and suspension package.

i had no trouble getting around last winter with dedicated snow tires, and i'm lowered:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Miata-Snow.jpg
    Miata-Snow.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 786
Invest in a dedicated snow tire/wheel package and call it a day. It will cost you about half of what one seasons' storage/car rental would. I just bought my Miata last March but she's my dd so I'll be buying snow tires for the OEM wheels soon (unless I can score some OEM 15" wheels, then the 16's get sold). Only issue I've heard about driving the Miata in winter is the clearance given heavier snow fall/drifts.

I live in Southern Ontario - pretty similar to your climate. I recently came to the conclusion that driving my 2011 MX5 in winter is not a good idea. It was a mistake thinking I could put some good snow tires on it and it'd be fine. The first winter that I had the car was mild, and I was fooled into believing it would be an okay winter car. It really isn't. The next couple of winters were "normal" (for this climate) and I had a few situations where the car was too low and light to navigate over some of the snow on the highway, and I started to drift. Very scary sh!t. Honestly man, buy the MX5 and you will LOVE the driving experience (especially if you get the hard-top convertible). BUT, I strongly recommend you also get yourself a front-wheel (or 4 wheel) drive winter vehicle and be SAFE. Keep the salt and other winter crap off your MX5 - you'll put less mileage on your MX5 too.

I drove my 99 Miata as a DD/ Auto-x car for 3 years, to prep the car for winter I would put the alignment back to stock, change to a set of snow tires and put the hard top on. I start work pretty early usually before the highways and roads were plowed and it drove well on unplowed highways and roads. The car didn't have ABS or TC , but did have an LSD.

I think LSD and Winter Tires would be a must. By the time I would get the MX-5, my current CX-5 would be our other car for weekends when it's bad. The MX-5 would just have to get me to work and back. Nine miles each way, mostly freeway. I'm a computer geek for a living, so, if it's really really bad, I can connect and work from home.

CyberCruiser and Njaremka - your anecdotes make me more confident in putting snow tires on the Miata to let the wife drive on major roads and get her out of parking spots, and I'll have the CX-5 for when it gets really bad.

Do you have a separate set of wheels for snow tires? I would assume so - do you rotate them yourself? I would be with the right tools and a jack I could handle changing one at a time.

Cybercruiser - do you put snow tires on your CX-5 as it's FWD? Curious to know if AWD models really need them if you're in the city.

New to Colorado winters and realizing it might be a bit stronger than expected.

My sister lives in Fort Collins. They don't seem to get too much snow there, at least compared to some other places.

I have a separate set of wheels that I swap out for winter. Makes it MUCH easier.

The miata does pretty well in the snow. Some snow tires on dedicated rims will do the trick just fine. Only takes an hour 2 times a year to install. Well worth it.

sorry to revive a dead thread.

Back