Rattle noise coming from rear hatch - SOLVED

I guess as an old man being hearing impaired is a blessing in disguise... unfortunately you also cant hear signs of impending trouble!

One of the nuts on my 15' was completley missing but it had to be somewhere. Sure enough a few quick jerks of the hatch and it was unlodged from the insides of the door then I could control it with the jerks to feed it out of a hole and torque it to 50 lbs

Hi guys,
I'm posting this information here just in case someone ever has a problem with their CX-5 similar to mine.

I started to hear a slight rattle coming from the rear of my car about 2 months after I purchased it. I wouldn't hear the noise all the time...just occasionally when going over bumps, but most of the time there was no noise. It kinda sound like I had a tool box in the cargo area and tools bumped into each other when I want over bumps in the road. I made sure there was nothing back there and kept driving. Soon I could hear the noise when I was traveling at high speeds on the highway with no bumps...just the vibration of the car and the wind. it got to the point where I couldn't stand driving without the radio turned up and passengers always asked me what that noise was.

I took the car to the dealer and described the noise. they had one of the techs ride with me and sure enough the car did not make a sound. Even so, they kept the car and said they would check it out. A few hours later they called me and said that they couldn't find any noise. So I went home and sure enough there was no noise on the ride home. Next day I drive to work and I hear the noise the whole way. A couple of months later I bring the car in for the vibrating mirror issue and ask them to look for the noise again. Again, the tech can't hear anything and they can't fix it.

Fast forward to this week when I have already accepted that I'm just going to have a noisy car. I was washing my car and at some point I grabbed the rear spoiler and it made a squeeky rattling noise. I grabbed the spoiler again and tried wiggling it and it made a sound very much like what I heard when I was driving. Of course it sounds completely different when you're standing outside. I sat inside the car and had my girl wiggle the spoiler and THAT WAS IT!!!!!

I took the car to the dealership this morning. Before I even talked to them I walked up to some CX-5's on the lot and tried to wiggle their spoilers...nothing. They wouldn't budge and didn't make a sound. Long story short, my spoiler was loose and that was the source of the noise. The tech took off a plastic cover on the inside of the hatch that just pops off and took of two black buttons on each end...that exposed the screws that hold the spoiler in place. He said three of them were completely loose. How those things got loose is beyond me. Maybe they weren't tightened at the factory, but anyway....that was my problem. If you hear that noise....check to see if your spoiler is loose.

I have an .mp3 of the sound i was hearing if anyone want to hear it I could upload it somewhere or email it to you so you can see if this is the noise you have.

Good luck!
I am so glad I found this post. This is exactly what I am dealing with. It is driving me crazy. Thank you so much for posting this! I realize this post is 6 yrs old but it still applies. 🙂

Latest posts

Back